• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Worms

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I hope your open water fish farms are not as destructive as the ones we have in the red-sea part of Israel. They seem to be a major contributer in destroying the entire eco-system of the Akaba gulf.

Seems like the problem is excess nitrogen-related waste either from the feeding (not all of the food is being eaten) or the fishes' metabolic waste products.

is there much of a tide in the red sea? i imagine that things would be worse here, if we didn't have such strong tides to carry the waste away, and take the problem out of our view.

I just looked at your thread and the info on the tongue eating grub, and yes this is the one, horrible, is it harmless to the fish, apart from eating its tongue

It is usually harmless to the fish. It does suck its blood, but the fish is able to lead a normal life.

Hmm, just found some brown worms in my prize bass I caught yesterday. Was looking forward to it but now those sausages in the fridge look really nice!

Hmm, just found some brown worms in my prize bass I caught yesterday. Was looking forward to it but now those sausages in the fridge look really nice!
Nematodes are most numerous multicellular animals on Earth. The estimate is that every four out of five animals is some sort of nematode. They are outnumbered only by bacteria. 20000 nematode species have been described - probably only the tip of an iceberg. There is probably no creature that is not parasitised by nematode.
Now, I know this is not going to persuade you to eat you bass. But the least I can do is to make you enjoy your sausages - the good chance is that you'll eat some microscopic nematodes (cooked) with your sausages.

It seems to be the prize ones that get the worms - the one I had worms in was probably my personal best. I guess the longer they live the more chance they have of picking them up. Reading around on the web I've found that seals may have a part to play in the life cycle and there are certainly plenty of seals around the South Hams area. It would be interesting to hear if others have found worms in bass and if so where they were caught.

I don't mind - just take them out and eat the rest!

aniskis (sp) infected fish, if slow froze (not flash frozen), they can migrate to the meat and can survive freezing better and if the fish is eaten uncooked they can be seriously injurious. If flash frozen they can't migrate to the meat, so are discarded during cleaning.

(my internet email thingy is f**ked up, posts are not sending 1/2 the time)

Not just seals, whales too... the herring eat their poo and everything eats herring or eats whatever ate the herring and so on and then the marine mammals eat the fish.

in summary: Save a bass, Club a seal

Ok so cook it well and pick em out is the way forward.

Just out of interest, if one were to swallow one of these things that was alive, would human stomach acid kill it?

Ok so cook it well and pick em out is the way forward.

Just out of interest, if one were to swallow one of these things that was alive, would human stomach acid kill it?

pick the big worms out and toss em.
If you find the little white, curly ones in the gut then check the flesh around the lining of the gut and wash thoroughly. Then its either a matter of cooking thoroughly or freezing. Safer to freeze first but a proper cooking should do.

Fishy stomach acid is capable of digesting hardback crabs and fish hooks in hours and it don't kill [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis"]anisakis[/ame]. These little buggers can make You seriously ill.

The treatment section of the Wiki link you posted seems to offer sonme hope though, it says the worms can't survive in humans (could still make you ill though).:yack

You usually pass the worms but they can cause problems if they get out of your gut and into your vitals. there are several cases of really bad effects each year, mostly in Japan.

FYI I have speared a fish called a Jurel here in Chile that 100% had that tongue replacing lice. It was yuck to see and has put me of this otherwise perfectly good fish species for good!

More nasty parasites...

The tapeworm Ligula is found in freshwater fish. It starts life as a tiny egg which is eaten by a freshwater crustacean, Cyclops. This is eaten by a fish, and the larva moves into its body cavity (not the gut) and grows into a worm. It grows very large, making the fish fatter and fatter. The resulting fat and slow-moving fish is likely to get eaten by a predatory bird, where the worm finishes its life cycle. The bird's droppings will contain the eggs, which are then eaten by Cyclops. If an affected fish is not eaten, the fish will continue growing normally, and the worm will eventually shrink away. Fortunately not a risk to humans.

Some parasitic flukes in freshwater fish live in the lens of the eyes, making the fish go blind. Again, this makes it more likely to be eaten by a predatory bird. In captivity the fish will survive, but it will never get its sight back.

Parasitic crustaceans attach to the gills and suck blood. Another crustacean, the fish louse (Argulus), swims around freely, attaching itself to passing fish and sucking their blood. It looks like a tiny green stingray, the first time I saw one I thought it was a baby flatfish.

Fish are very unfortunate to have so many parasites.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…