• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

would you dive in radioactive bikini lagoon?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

will_tekkie

Nov 24, 2002
i just wrote a reply at a post in this forum..and i remembered something i read in a article for a diver who spent more than 3 weeks diving in the bikini lagoon. As is known for the most of you this place was used for the american army during their nuclear bombs test including the crazy Bravo test with a yield of 15 megatons ( 15 MILLIONS OF TNT TONS)!!!!...

The point is...due to the radioative levels this atoll have been untouched for years. Now it is plenty of a wonderful and now very dificult to find enviroment with lots of fishes and sharks. But wrecks lying on the botton ( result of the nuclear tests) has became bikini maybe the best diving place in the world. Pristine water..good temperature, almost unlimited visibility and several historical and huge wrecks ( including aircraft carrier the only one diveable in the world) wait for divers there...except some residual low level of radiation and a layer of radiactive cesium (which are not dangerous for people..only if you eat coconuts)

Would you dive there?..are you willing to exposed you to this low radiation levels ( lower than cities ones...all this said for scientists from Lawrence Livermore LAB)...Maybe i´ll go there..of course with my geiger meter and after i have sons.....

IF I had the cash I would go in a heartbeat.:D

I think that radioactivity is only a problem if you eat food grown on the island. When I checked into going there a few years ago I was told that ALL food gets shipped in.

Jon

Hell ya! Saratoga would be a great dive! and only 160fsw in warm water! Oh... sooooo sweet..

Willer

Has some of you been there?...would be interesting if you share your first hand impressions with us...this diving are really something different to the average diving...

hi
as i know radioactivity is almoust normal in sea it is just a problem on land and since all fishing has been banned from there since the experiment there is an abundance fo all sorts of fish!!!
:p

Zipy

not a problem. I would love to dive the wrecks in that place.
But how much is it to get there?

In a heartbeat.

I don't quite have the experience yet, only being OW with about 2 dozen dives. But given a bit more experience, no problem. I'm not worried about the low residual levels, I've already had the big V done anyway. :hungover

I remember diving at night in truk with the phosphoressence lighting up the water skaren all the fish. most of the hidden sea creatures hide during the day so a night dive would surely be needed.

lifes full of funny little surprises, maybe I'll get there one day.

I read a research study on Truk and there is no danger from the radiation. I'll see if I can find the study to post here

from here: http://www.diveadventures.com/marshalls.htm
Radiological Status:
The US Dept. of Energy (DOE) and Lawrence Livermore Laboratories have done extensive research and monitoring of Bikini.

Their reports state in general that the environment poses no radiological danger. However, there are some very low amounts of residual cesium deep in the soil that may be absorbed into plants with deep root structures such as coconut trees. If these plants are consumed in large quantities over a long periods of time, an unacceptable level of cesium may be absorbed by humans.

"The potential dose [of radiation] to a person swimming in the Bikini Lagoon around or through the sunken ships is so low... that it can be considered essentially zero." The chances are you are receiving more radiation from background sources at your hometown right now than if you were to be at Bikini.

I dived there in August and nothing has fallen off yet :) - buy Beyond the Blue to see how you get 10 Scots divers in 1 Bikini.

As stated, background radiation is not a problem, Caesium in the soil means that you can't eat the local coconuts or seagulls, all food is shipped in and it is pretty good too.

Briliiant diving, safe and easy stuff. See www.gordonmackie.com if you didn't get Beyond The Blue.

give me a shout if you want any info on Bikini

regards - Gordon

Bikini Atol (and specifically the Saratoga) is one dive that i'm planning to do in the next few years. I haven't figure out how yet but it's something that I just HAVE to do...

Yeh i'd dive there in a second 2 but i have heard it is insanely expensive

Diving Bikini Atoll

see the book "Sharks and Rays Elasmobranch Guide of the World", Author, Ralf Henneman.

?http://www.born2dive.net/books/sharks.asp

there is a brilliant article with photos about some experienced shark divers (cameramen) that spent some time in the Marshall islands.

at Shark Pass, even the divemaster wouldn't go in the water. the demonstration was by throwing in a coconut into the water. dozens of sharks went into a frenzy to eat it. they lowered the camera into the water on a line to film, and it was nearly eaten by a tiger shark!

a guy dipped his mask in the water to clean it before diving and that also caused a shark sensation! sounds like fun.

anyone know how much a trip out there costs? I am in honolulu and bikini atoll is not too far away, well it is but ya know with those flying metal contraptions now days you can get just about anywhere.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT