• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wrecks in the Great Lakes

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

josedesucre

Sep 14, 2006
Today I saw a very good documentary about a wreck in Lake Huron, in The History Channel. The title is "Deep Sea Detectives: Great Lakes Ghost Ship" and it is about the wreck of the "Cornelia B. Windiate" a schooner that sank in 1875 but the wreck was not found until more than a hundred years later. They were looking for it in Lake Michigan, but it turned out in Lake Huron instead, north of Alpena. They show a map with pins marking all the wrecks on the lake, and I couldnt believe how many there are. The "Windiate" in fact is very well preserved, at about 190 feet. Then, tonight I also watched "Divers Down" in The Water Channel. Not a bad winter day. :)

I dove with those guys on a couple of shallow wrecks around here - The Deepsea detectives that is - hilarious. Heres a shot of my daughter with Richie Kohler on the sunken dance barge the 'Keuka' up near charlevoix.

Last edited:
Anyone know where one can get the GPS coordinates for Wrecks in Michigan, and general info about them (depth, etc...).

A cool event would be to go to one that would be accessable to most everyone (could see from surface snorkeling). :) (Thinking selfishly of my kids as they don't go deep yet.)

I know there are a couple off Sheboygan, but I'm not certain where they are exactly, nor how deep they are.

Gene

Wrecks. Hmmmmm, this is a topic that could go on for days. :)

The Great Lakes are considered one of the top wreck diving spots in the world- for good reason. There are well over 4,0000 wrecks in the Great Lakes and Lake Michigan is home to over 1,000 herself.

I dove, both scuba and free, on wrecks in Superior, Michigan and Huron. there are wrecks that break the surface and then there are those that go down hundreds of feet. Vis can be zero or it can be 100'+. They can be broken down flat or completely intact and still have cars, or trains, inside of them.

There are a few good books are out there and I like some that are written by Chris Kohl, that fact that he paid me to use a bunch of my photos in them has nothing to do with that fact. ;)

Here's one of his quick maps that show wrecks off Milwaukee. There are many more in that are that my father-in-law just found within the past two years and haven't made it into any books just yet. Almost anywhere you go in the lakes there is a wreck of some sort.

I've taken a few people out on chartes to dive some of the Milwaukee area wrecks- Unirdna, Kehl, Freedivechicago, Jitka, and some others who don't post too much on here. There are some that can be seen from a kayak and others that can have great vis on them once you punch through the thermocline.

Port washington has a couple of shallower ones and Door County has a TON of them- too many to even recount. Up by Death's Door, in Door County, ther is one spot that has three, natural, shipwrecks piled on top of eachother! All of them are in less than 40'.

If you look through my photo gallery you'll see a bunch of pictures of Great Lakes wrecks. I have books full of more photos but never got around to posting any more than that.

Summer time temps can get up into the mid 70's, even at dpeth if the winds are right, and a 3mm is all that you need. vis is a whole lot better than it used to be, and much better than in any of our inland lakes.

Here's a link to the charter boat I work on and some of the side scan images of local wrecks. Shipwreck History and Information

side scan images: Survey & Salvage

Jon

Last edited:
It would be great if this thread go on for several days. It is an interesting issue, I think. The questions by Gene suggest to me that the information about the location of wrecks is not readily or easily available to boaters or divers. Maybe there is a possibility for you, Jon, or Fonduesuet, to make some money helping the government to include those locations in the tourist or fishing maps. Here in Maryland, and also in Virginia, is relatively easy to find the location of wrecks for fishing or diving.

I dove with those guys on a couple of shallow wrecks around here - The Deepsea detectives that is - hilarious. Heres a shot of my daughter with Richie Kohler on the sunken dance barge the 'Keuka' up near charlevoix.

Wow! Were you on the show? If so, how can I watch? Are you on DVD? I brought Shadow Divers to a wedding - quite the page turner!

"A cool event would be to go to one that would be accessable to most everyone (could see from surface snorkeling). :) (Thinking selfishly of my kids as they don't go deep yet.)"

You could call the event Wreck-a-Mania
icon10.gif

Cheers all,

Nah, no show - they just did some benefit dives for an underwater preserve that's getting started here. I didn't even know who they were until they started telling us stories. They are like a comedy team.

The navigation maps are pretty far off- plus, they don't care about wrecks below 50' since they don't interfere with shipping.

There are numerous books, and websites, out there on the subject. My father-in-law sells a book with lists of wrecks in it for our area, and has to update it every other year because of new discoveries. If you check on many of the tech diving forums they have lists of the wrecks as well. Take a look at Chris Kohl's book and you'll find maps, photos, GPS numbers, and chart boats to take you there.

I know that there are some shallow wrecks up by Chris that stick out of the water and are HUGE. We have a number of wrecks off of Milwaukee that start as shallow as 5' and go on from there. There are a number of them in the 40' and less category and we use them for doing open water training dives- so would be perfect for new freedivers as well.

Many of there wrecks in less than 40' can be dove from shore or off of a dive kayak. If there is enough interest I can get a boat for diving them- but I would want to get at least 6-8 freedivers as the boats I can get are a little on the large side. ;) We could set up training ropes and hit some depth if we go a little ways- 3 miles or so. So far I've only had one freediver at a time interested in the wrecks so I've just tagged along regular wreck charters- and most of these are in the 60'-120' range.

Sheboygan has a few nice wrecks that you need a boat to get to out in around 70'-90'. They also have some very nice wrecks in the 170' range- but so far I can only dive those with a tank on my back.:head

Door county has shallow wrecks. Munising, Michigan has shallow wrecks. the Apostle Islands have shallow wrecks- almost too shallow for anything but kayaking over. There's a ton of wrecks up in the Straights. Chicago is nothing but shallow wrecks. If divers are interested int he Two Rivers area, and any distance north or south of there, I ave a very good friend who runs a charter boat out that way and could take 6 of us at a time. I'd have to check into prices for us and what kind of depths/wrecks people would want to dive on.

My favorite place, so far, for freediving on wreck has to be Tobermorey Canada. The place is pretty incredible. Most of the wrecks ran aground and start in 20'-30 of water. They, then, sunk and their sterns lay in 80'-150' of water. That means you can pick your depth no matter what wreck your on. for scuba diving it also means you can start your deco half way up the wreck and have cool stuff to look at the whole time your in the water!:inlove

Here's a few quick shots from photos I happend to have on hand.

First, is the Volunteer. She burned to the water in the early 1920's and sits in less than 15'.
Second, is the Willy. She was named one of the top 20 wrecks in North America a few years ago in a dive magazine. She starts at 60' and goes to 93' with the lake bottm at around 70'. She's a great dive and a lot of fun on a scooter.
Next, is a wreck from Tobermory. She rests in 12' of water and you can see how far up she comes.

Last, is the Niagra. Neat wreck with a great story sunk in 25' of water off of Port Washington- halfway between Milwaukee and Sheboygn. the top comes up to about 15' and when i was a kid she still had her twin paddle wheels intact on her.

Jon

Jon

Last edited:
Reactions: trux
Hey Jon, did I tell you I found a drop off last weekend? 120 feet just 100 yards from shore! Lots of old lumber and, supposedly, a model T ford. - love that bottom shot :)

Jon,

I think we should plan a dive at a wreck this Summer. One that newbees could freedive on. I can get a couple of smaller boats if needed. If we were just freediving (not much extra gear), we could fit 6 on each (21' cabin cruser & 16' open bow). The boats are older, but the engines are newer.

I know that weather can tend to be a problem on Lake Michigan, but I think we should still just pick a date & go for it. If the wind/weather or waves are bad, we go to an alternate planned location.

What wreck do you think would be the easiest? Are there some that could be accessed from shore?

Gene

Here's a list of wrecks that have been lost, but not all found, off of Sheboygan: Vessels Wrecked at Sheboygan

Here's a listing of great lakes shipwreck websites: Great Links to the Great Lakes

Here's some history on Wisconsin's most famous, or should I say infamous, ship shipwrecks, the Lady Elgin. Lady Elgin

The Lady Elgin is a good one to freedive as she's not really that deep- less than 40'. She also has a LOT of history to her- completely changed the entire city of Milwaukee for over 100 years. I had the chance to certify, and photograph, the great-grandaughter of one of her victims- who took up scuba diving for the sole purpose of visiting this wreck. Here's a photo I took of her on her first trip to the wreck site.

I can put something togther in the Milwaukee area where we could hit a few wrecks in one day at different depths. The more divers the better, as we'll have plenty of room, and we can start with something shallow, like the Appomatax (18'-23'), and move onto something a little deeper, like the Sand dredge (39'), and then move it ove to something really big, like the Willy (60'-93'). If everyone on board can hit 50' withot a probelm there are a whole new set of wrecks that my father-in-law found that we could hit, or we couldhead over to the Norland(63') to dive that. If diver had cameras we could also hit the Gillen tug (65') which is a real pretty little tug but not great for large scuba groups. It would be nice for a group of freedivers as we wouldn't all b down on her at once getting into everyone's way.

There are deeper wrecks and shallower ones, but when you get into the really shallow ones, less than 10', they are mostly boards broken up on the bottom. They were fun ot dive on back they changed the slavage laws, in 1988, and we could spend hours digging in the sand for lost cargo. Now that you can no longer do that the wreck gets pretty boaring after a couple of minutes. Something more fun to do in water that shalloe would be to hunt the southern breakwall for carp- there are hundreds all along there and the water is less that 20' on th outside of the wall and less than 10' on the inside. That's a fairly easy swim from shore and no boat is needed, although a kayak can make it fun.

Jon

Last edited:
Jon,

I'd be interrested! Again, I'm just a beginner, so I don't know how deep I could go, but I would definately get in on shallow ones.

The above sites still do not give the GPS coordinates...any idea where I could get them for the ones off of Sheboygan? Would be a fun activity to do after a morning of Salmon fishing!

Lastly, if we were to do a carp spearfishing tournament, where would you suggest & when?

Thanks,

Gene

Jose,

I know that my father-in-law will be there- he does a film presentation every year of all the new wrecks he found in the past 12 months.

I'll probably be diving instead.

Gene,
If you check out those other websites I posted there should be links to the GPS numbers. Othwerwise, I would highly reccomend the book by Chris Kohl since it has all of the GPS numbers in it and you could carry it with you.

Jon

Hey Guys,

Is vis good enough so that a snorkeler can see the Appomattox? And is it really directly offshore Milwaukee (if I took a train, could I meet you guys there if you dive there?)

If you look at the photos I attached you can s some of the long jetties they have sticking out. If you go off the north jety and take a 320 degree compass heading for about 400 kicks you'll swim right over the top of it. On most days you can see it from the surface and it should be marked with a mooring by mid summer. The wreck is over 320' long and 60' wide. She comes up off the bottom about 8' in spots.

There is another small, steel, pier just to the north of the jetties. If you take a 90 degree compass heading and swim out aobut 50 kicks you should be right over the wreck of the Jospahine. She's only 100' long and sits in 5'-10' of water- so can be dove by anyone.

I have seen lots of fish in this area, but no carp. There have been large schools of aelwives and even lake trout that have come in shallow to play. On a nice day it's a great place ofr the family as the beach is nice and sandy and the swimming area is well blocked off from any boat traffic.

Jon

Last edited:
Reactions: maytag
Jon,

Sorry, I possibly missed it, but what beach is that?

Also, I think I will get the book as I was unable to find any GPS coordinates.

Thanks,

Gene

Atwater beach off of Capitol drive.

Chris has a number of books out but the one that is probably the best for what you want, short histories with GPS numbers and dive conditions, is:
The Great Lakes Diving Guide: Cris Kohl

Jon

Last edited:
Thanks Jon,

I will pick up a copy. My Summer is filling up fast, but another great trip would be off Rock Island or off one of the other islands around Washington Island.

In Milwaukee, a cool outing would be one where we went on wrecks and then also had a chance to spearfish for carp along the breakwater. Kind of a double adventure...possibly do lunch in between??? :)

However, you shouldn't have to plan them all.

Hopefully someone else will step up to the plate.

Gene

My work schedule is unpredictable so I don't know my calendar this far in advance, and I have never dove the sites, but I'd be more than happy to help coordinate a Milwaukee Wreckapalooza... ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT