• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

xfire 115 VS euro riffe 120 ???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Meshari

Aug 16, 2006
hello every one

im still not sure which one to choose of either spearguns

if i bought XFIRE i will replace the shaft with 6.5 mm and single 19 mm band

and euro riffe is double 16mm and 6.75mm shaft and at least extra 200 $ than xfire

i loved my old xfire
i hate very much wood guns because it is heavy

can i make xfire with 6.5 mm shaft as effective penetration range as euro riffe
because this is the most important thing for me

the beauty of a wood gun is that it has much better buoyancy than an aluminum barrel and if the gun is balanced properly it will feel light and effortless in the water.

the riffe euro is a great gun, imo the best gun riffe makes, the low profile barrel is not balky like many other wood guns. it has great power and accuracy, it's very quite and with a little maintenance (oil the teak) it will last you a lifetime.

if price is no object go for the riffe is you are on a budget the xfire is a good gun but you get what you pay for.

good luck.

steve

Last edited:
so difinetely i will go for euro riffe

but our dealer has 2 pieces

one is the same color as other riffe wooden color

the other one looks very much darker than the others

which one to buy ?

Wise choice, wooden guns are a class apart from aluminium ones.
As for colour, I would go with the plain wood one, Teak blends in well with lots of backgrounds so is slightly less of an intrusion than something darker. It shouldn't make any difference to be honest but you never know :) The plain wood will be easier to patch up too when you get the inevitable scratches and knocks

i dont's know what the difference in color might be, as far as i know riffe only does one finish. whats the difference in price and why?

steve

i bought euro riffe 120

according to jill riffe , because it is a natural product so variation is normal

for price because it is different 2 shops

i bought the more epensive because it comes with a 3rd shark fin in the middle of spear to ease loading

but i found the bands to be double 14 mm not double 16 mm with the same lenght 75 cm ( riffe website tells band size double 16 mm 75 cm )
probably it is our dealer request as usual

but i think because it is 14 it should be shorter to 65 cm, right ?

65cm is about right for a 120cm gun but i would want the 16mm bands in that length. the gun can handle even 18mm bands, you should take advantage of all it's capability.
good gun though, enjoy it.

steve

65cm is about right for a 120cm gun but i would want the 16mm bands in that length. the gun can handle even 18mm bands, you should take advantage of all it's capability.
good gun though, enjoy it.

steve

are double 16 mm short 65 cm bands on 6.75 mm shaft will be good combination for 120 gun ?

here's the formula to determine band length: 120cm band stretch measured from the bands slot to the loading tab on the shaft, minus the length of the wishbone typically 5-10cm, divided by 3 (the amount the band has to stretch to reach the tab in percent, 3=300%). this will give you the length of one side of the band so you multiply by 2.

some bands are more elastic than others so the may not stretch to 300% easily and some are more so they may stretch to 350%. typically riffe rubber is hard so depending on your ability to pull the bands you want to go 300% or less maybe 275%.

so here's what it looks like:

120-5=115/3=38.33X2=76cm

depending on the manufacturer and thickness of the rubber i cut mine from 250-350%. i think the 2 16m bands and a 6.75mm shaft is a good combination, the length you are going to determine yourself by your ability to pull them so it's probably a good idea to go with the recommended length of 75c to start with.
hope that helps.

steve

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT