• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Yassas, Greek Spearfishing Help Needed!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperHigh

Jun 3, 2009
I'll be in Greece this August and would love to freedive and spearfish while I'm there. I understand permits are only given to EU members, but am I allowed to hire a charter and spearfish with them? If someone could point me to the best islands or areas to freedive and even scuba with the girlfriend, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thx in advance,

Yia sou

I guess that you are not from greece. I am grek ( from cy) and got my licence last year, but cannot recall exactly the process. form memory-You will need to go to the local harbour police office with 2 passport photos, your passport (take 2 copies) and if I am correct about 30euros
They will issue you with a licence on the spot

I hope someone else (local)can help you with more info
A word of warning though, If you are going to visit touristy places dont hold your breath for any fish! you may want to save your money and time / hassle and enjoy the viz and the sun (just a thought)

I'll be in Greece this August and would love to freedive and spearfish while I'm there. I understand permits are only given to EU members, but am I allowed to hire a charter and spearfish with them? If someone could point me to the best islands or areas to freedive and even scuba with the girlfriend, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thx in advance,

Where in Greece are you going?

My girlfriend and I are still planning and want to add a spearfishing destination. Could you point me in the right direction?

I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

My girlfriend and I are still planning and want to add a spearfishing destination. Could you point me in the right direction?

I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

I can't personally as I've never spearo'ed in Greece. I am off though to Zakynthos next month and intend to take my spearo gear - but I am a complete beginner and it will be surface and shallow water for me.

hi there! with so many islands and coastline is not really easy to suggest the right place for diving-spearfishing in Greece...Depends on what you really want from a vacation, your priorities, finance, etc.. *you could tell some more details and then we talk again...

*for eg I do not like crowded places so I choose remote not so well known islands. If it is your first time in Greece though, perhaps you would like to go lets say, :)to Santorini for the landscape and some diving, but with many people around anyway:confused:

hi there! with so many islands and coastline is not really easy to suggest the right place for diving-spearfishing in Greece...Depends on what you really want from a vacation, your priorities, finance, etc.. *you could tell some more details and then we talk again...

*for eg I do not like crowded places so I choose remote not so well known islands. If it is your first time in Greece though, perhaps you would like to go lets say, :)to Santorini for the landscape and some diving, but with many people around anyway:confused:

basilisladias could please recommend some islands or maybe spots where we could find a decent villa with the pool and all the amenities on the beach. Perfectly I'd love to live next to the sandy beach coz this is good for my children having at the same time a possibility to go out for spearfishing. This year I will stay in Halkidiki paying a fortune for 2 bungalows on the beach but for the next year I would like to rent a house or villa with room service. Any idea?
Thanx in advance

basilisladias could please recommend some islands or maybe spots where we could find a decent villa with the pool and all the amenities on the beach. Perfectly I'd love to live next to the sandy beach coz this is good for my children having at the same time a possibility to go out for spearfishing. This year I will stay in Halkidiki paying a fortune for 2 bungalows on the beach but for the next year I would like to rent a house or villa with room service. Any idea?
Thanx in advance
Hi there Max... I believe that you first have to choose an island, or place in mainland if you prefer and then find an accomodation...My favorite island is Amorgos...This year for eg we ve rented there, in mid June, a simple two bedroom appartment for 55 euros a day, with a lady cleaning the room etc but no breakfast). But you can also find small hotels with pool there...On the contrary, for 10 days after the 5th of August, we ll stay in a hotel room in Karpathos (pool, breakfast included) for more than double that price..It all depends on place, period and type of accomodation. Excellent freediving in both places but for spearfishing frankly it all depends on how good you are, how deep you go and what means of transport you have...you could also try southern Crete for more choices of accomodation and places to visit...Take a look in the net for those places and then I ll be happy to answer to your questions...:)

Thank you so much Basilisladias! I haven't yet chosen the islands but I know it must be between 1-17 Sept. My girlfriend and I are willing to travel long distances by car, boat or plane to spend time on a hidden beach. On the other hand, we can enjoy a crowded shoreline just the same. As far as spearfishing, I can comfortably fish in 20-25m but will not feel comfortable doing so without a divebuddy (I'll treat if you join us).
I will be trying to finalize the details of my trip this week so please advise as to the best places to stay for a couple of days of spearing.
Thanks again,

Alright friends, I finally have dates and locations for my time in Greece. Feel free to jump in at any time if you'd like to spend a day spearfishing near any of the following:
Crete: Wed, 9 Sep - Mon, 14 Sep
Santorini: Mon,14 Sep - Thu, 17 Sep
Ios: Thu, 17 Sep - Sun, 20 Sep
Mykonos: Sun, 20 Sep - Wed, 23 Sep
I understand that these islands are better for sightseeing than spearfishing but I'm going to make the best of it either way.
Hope to see you there,

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT