• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Yearly periodization and other advices.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

otrebor

Oct 13, 2011
Hi everyone, I'd like to draw up a good training program to be in good shape next year for deep spearfishing. I'm not so fit, I do weight training, pool, running, road bike and spearfishing all year long, but I don't follow a structured training plan.
My DYN w/ bi-fins PB is 155 mt, I don't know how long my wet static is, 3 year ago I did 52 mt CWT, I usually do spearfishing beyond 25 mt, some dives during the day is over 30. These dives are very stressfull, my legs become tired very quickly.

My primary goal is to dive beyond 30 mt for 2-3 hours (about 20 dives) with a reasonable dive time.
I read with interest an old topic https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/please-help-me-train-to-hunt-at-100-feet.93917/ and I take this opportunity to thank the users for the excellent advice that I will try to put into practice, but unfortunatly I can do pool training only twice a week, the remaining days I can do only dry training.-

As you well know the qualities to train are various: strength (anaerobic), resistance strength (anaerobic lactacid), aerobic, Dive reflex, thoracic cage elasticity and diaphragm, ability to hold the breath, hypoxia, hypercapnia, etc., etc.
To seriously train a single quality this should be trained often, at least 3-4 times a week. Let's say that you are training the aerobic base or other physical quality. If you do not train for two weeks in a row because you prefer to go fishing in the sea, do you lose the results achieved?

As you can see my doubts are many, also because I am not a coach.-

The question for the most expert freedivers and deep spearfishers are:
1) which of these qualities do you consider most important?
2) How would you plan the training of individual qualities throughout the year?
3) and within a single session?
4) For example, during sessions out of the water: can I do empty lungs (low 02 tolerance) and after strength training with weights in the same session?
5) Or empty lung dry and circuit training (for lactic tolerance and CO2 tolerance)
6) or full lung dynamic or static and then other kind of psysical training?
7) Or do you have pure strength (5x5 squats) and anaerobic lactic acid (4x15 / 20 exercises for your legs) in the same session and then add apnea walking?

I can do spearfishing twice a week until november; then I'll try to do "pure freediving" training such as RV dives or hang at depth in shallow water (less than 30 mt), because during the winter is very difficult to reach deeper spot.

I know, this post is very confused, but I hope that the super-expert freediver wants to help me.

Thanks in advance.

"My primary goal is to dive beyond 30 mt for 2-3 hours (about 20 dives) with a reasonable dive time "

I'd go for the 3 hour end. Otherwise you will be really stressing yourself. If you do 20 dives in 2 hours, that's a dive every 6 minutes including dive time and recovery. That's really not enough recovery for repeated dives to 30 mts.

I go spearfishing less than one month a year and spend the other 11 months training for it. Have a look through my log in my signature, I have a number of posts describing my training schedule/periodization in October of each year. I would be interested in seeing your training log as well. One piece of advice I can give is to consider spearfishing and freediving as two entirely separate sports. To get good at spearfishing...just go spearfishing!

Thank you for your response.

@J Campbell
You're absolutely right, recovery time is very important and should be directly proportional to the depth. My rec time after +25 Mt dives is always longer than 2-3xdive time.

@bboynaki

Your thread is a veeeryy looong thread and is full of precious informations. I really often read it.
You're right when you say "spearfishing trains spearfishing", but I'd like to train my body during the cold months in order to do spearfishing in a better way during summer and autumn.
As I said, I don't have a structured training plan, I'm doing running sprint, ribcage and diaphragm stretching, some weight training (squat, deadlift and bench press) and spearfishing at least twice a week until the end on October. Next week I'll start with pool training. I'm reading Umberto Pelizzari 's book and I hope I can write a good training plan, even with your and other forum' s member advices.

Thanks.

Hi Roberto, I have Umberto's book and I have read it many times. I used it to come up with my training plan. If you look in the back there is a suggested schedule. I recommend that in the last 2 months of training before spearfishing, you do only dyn/dnf/cwt training and stop running, sprints, and weight training. I feel that extra muscle burns more oxygen and may reduce diaphragm flexibility.

Reactions: Kodama
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT