• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Yellowfin Tuna Steaks?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Marwan

Gear Buying addict
Supporter
Sep 3, 2005
Found some yellowfin tuna steaks and bought them...dont know any good recipes for it, any help?:inlove

I usually fry them with vinegar, lemon and olive oil....no idea if anyone else does, but it tastes awesome! ....... but youre pretty much guaranteed to get loads of suggestions on this one...enjoy!

Reactions: Mr. X
Sear them in a really hot pan so that the outside is . . . well, seared, and the inside is still a bit raw. Serve with a mango or peach chutney on top and a side of rice pilaf. This will deserve a light bodied red rather than the traditional white wine with fish. The flavor is more on the order of beef that what we usually think of as seafood. Don't forget the salad but when it gets to be winter in your world, maybe baby beets or sauteed baby carrots might go better.

Searing is more of what i had in mind. so what do you use for marinade?

Reactions: spaghetti
Searing is more of what i had in mind. so what do you use for marinade?

You might drown it in vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil and keep it there for a night. But it must be extra "fresh" fish when you start marinating.
When it's super-fresh, I also simply put raw tuna in my dish cut in litlle pieces and pour on the olive oil, lemon and pepper. Mmmmhhh.
If it's not that fresh, I grill it: grilled tuna becomes a bit "spongy" but tastes great.

:) BTW Marwan: I saw the grouper you caught with your friend: splendid fish and a great catch. When will you post the story? And to stay kind-of on topic, how do you cook grouper over there in Egypt?

ciao vale..
thanks for the tips, the tuna steaks were frozen and imported, but i think they ae quite good, i also bought some tuna carpaccio, which i just ate now, it was really good...i marinaded it with some capri, corriander, balsamic vingear, olive oil, lemon and a touch of mustard...yummy
i didnt post the grouper pic because the last time i did that some people freaked out!! i dont know what it is about groupers but they seem to be a very touchy subject for some spearos whether thyre too big or too small,
anyway we were diving in an area of very poor viz....we were just about to abort the dive, when i said "ök one last dive" i was checking out undera coral head at about 6-8m when i saw it, it didnt see me, i aimed and wham!!! one shot one kill! i didnt believe it, neith did my buddy, i shot it with omer 100 with single 18mm band and 6.75 spear, we didnt weigh it but surely it was above 20KG....
the way we cook grouper is relative to its size, 2-4 kg, we stuff it with herbs and veggies and cook in the oven, or grill it, above that size, either chop it up into steaks and grill or fried fillets....
cheers

BLAMM! Old trusty Excalibur strikes again. Happy for you, mate: here in Italy an adult grouper in 6-8 meters is as frequent as winning the lottery.
For the other thing, /ethics et cetera), we must appreciate your will to keep possible arguments out of this board: you show to be a true gentleman as always. But come on, a 20 kilograms grouper is beyond any possible ethic argument: a fish like that has had at least one dozen reproduction cycles, half as female and half as male, so what's to argue about? Yesterday at the supermarket near my home they were selling 400 grams leerfish: a baby. Of course I didn't buy anything and walked away with sadness. (then I went home and cooked a great risotto alla milanese, one of my personal bests ever: my wife licked the dish!).
Back on topic or nearby: I never happened to shoot a tuna: I wonder how they manage to skin it and fillet the big fish...

I've seen it done on film. What you do is quarter the thing lengthwise. You take a top fillet off each side and then a bottom fillet off each side behind the vent. Then you just slice each fillet into steaks and make a run for the barbecue while sending someone else out for the chutney. A friend of mine had one with a pignole/habanero chutney. Made him sweat, he reported, but it was supposed to be wonderful.

Reactions: spaghetti
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT