• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

yet more dolphins + pilot whales, 10 days in Kona

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

monkeyhatfork

leaf game novice
May 31, 2007
This is my third trip to Kona, I became addicted to this place a few years ago when I came over for a PFI course. This time traveling with my friends Danielle and Caesar who I met last year on a liveaboard in bimini, I turned them to the dark-side and they took they're first freediving course a few months ago. I had not intended for this to be an all consuming dolphins trip but it became one very quick. I arrived 2 days before my friends, went straight from the airport to Place of Refuge to have a look, Annabel and crew were there getting ready to hit the lines, they invited me out but feeling a bit awful from the plane I declined, should have taken them up on it cause there would be no such diving the rest of the trip, beginning the next day forward, dolphins seemed to show up every time I entered the water. I took one charter on tues. which was great because they dropped us out in deep water with pilot whales and one this morning because my friends left yesterday and with a bit of fatigue setting in now thought I might be pushing my luck going out alone, this kind of diving is different there is no relaxed rest/breath-up its non-stop action for hours, heart racing excitement the whole time. The rest of the days we would simply swim out from shore and they would show up.

This is the first video and represents only a fraction of the encounters, 2 days where not filmed at all including one of the best moments when a spinner passed me a leaf, I swam with it a bit and passed it back, the exchange went back and forth a few times until he became bored with my lack-luster leaf game skills and passed it off to another spinner.

There was other non dolphin underwater fun that video will come in a day or two.

(on leaf games) anywhere i've encountered dolphins be it bahamas, hawaii, california, virginia, louisiana, all played the leaf game. Doesnt matter where or what species of dolphin. Do you think they have leagues? championships? is there a Lebron James of the Dolphin world?

[ame=http://youtu.be/lptF_UOmY0A?hd=1]YouTube - SPINNER.wmv[/ame]

Reactions: devondave
Mommy, MOMMY, Can I go diving with dolphins, PLEASEEEE!!!!!

Great shots Josh, I'm envious.

The spinners don't appear to interact as directly with divers as the spotteds do. Is that just a quirk of the video?

Connor

on the whole spotters are more entertained by us I think, that said I had equal interactions with spinners on this trip it was common for them to play for several hours before going into sleep mode for the day, some of the best shots were lost either to shakey or to excited to bother with the camera, or no camera on hand, I'm trying to give myself some days without camera cause its a different experience in the water not fussing with that stuff, also seemed to have solved some of the equalizing issues I was having and was able to dive regularly to depths I could only reach before with feet first free immersions. There are babies everywere so it would seem that reports of boat pressures effecting breeding are unfounded, there are soooooo many dolphins here. Locals say controversy comes mainly from college students who spend a few months here, write a paper without knowing the history, and are basing it on deaths of juveniles which are normally high as it is for most aquatic life. Most wounds you see on them are from cookie cutter sharks

nice stuff Josh and sweet editing. What edit software are you using?

Thanks-these were just quick edits on windows movie maker, I used AVS converter which is the best file converter I've found so far, Ideally I want to do an edit with adobe premier cause I can correct white balance etc with it but my laptop cannot handle HD with that program, this was shot at 1080 but down converted to 720 for editing(again computer too weak) the new lenses my brother made for the go-pro were amazing you'll really see it in the reef stuff, I'm gonna get him to throw a bunch up on ebay or something--- by the way, still have video to send you and conner, have not forgoten just had some major computer issues, a trojan forced me to have to wipe my hard drive and I just barely got everything working right again just a few days before this trip--also I'll try and put up a vimeo version cause youtube isnt quite a sharp as it should be, I have a 10 hour layover in san jose tonight so I'll probably try and get more video up then

I should note vis was poor by Kona standards, still amazing though if your coming from California, and ofter dark overcast which tend to make a big difference in video

words cannot explain how much I love this place, heres video 2

[ame=http://youtu.be/an2iSFohyt0?hd=1]YouTube - rest of the trip 0001[/ame]

there is a cool shot at the end of a triggerfish attacking the camera

Reactions: Kars
Can't give you more rep' but that's another fantastic vid'.
Thank you for posting them.

thanks, had to stay the night at the airport last night luckily that project kept me occupied

great video Josh, that second one was only windows movie maker?

yep, wishing I would have made the jaws sound a bit louder though, sounded fine with headphone on?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT