• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

You know you're a spearo when...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Griff

Certified SCUBA Rider
May 7, 2002
I thought this may be fun. Add to the list, i'll kick it off

You know you're a spearo when...

1. you dont notice the smell of dead fish in your car anymore
2. your wetsuit holds within it 5 microbiology PhD's
3. the question of 16, 18 or 20 keeps you up at night (btw, its 18!).
4. if its rusty it means that its working
5. you visit aquariums for all the wrong reasons, like those yellowtail in the two oceans aquarium in cape town
6. patriotism is based on the material of your gun barrel.
7. you hold the bleeding fish behind your back when you see a shark

Last edited:
Griff said:
5. you visit aquariums for all the wrong reasons, like those yellowtail in the two oceans aquarium in cape town

7. you hold the bleeding fish behind your back when you see a shark

My idea of a first date is taking a girl to an Aquarium.. if she objects to the non-stop commentary on "species scientific name-life history-how many Ive speared" she's not for me... Im still single girls!!! rofl

I've held a Coral Trout over my head while punching a shark in the face, and have held my precious camera out of the way while being attacked (and having a rib broken)...

Does that count? :)

When you encourage the dog to eat the credit card bill so your wife doesn’t find out how much your new suit was.
When you nearly drown your best mate because he’s found a bigger lobster than you.
When you break down in tears because there’s overtime paid a double time an hour at work but only on Sunday’s

your girlfriend says to you...... "I hate the summer you permenantly stink of piss and fish"........, didnt hear her complain about all the bass she was eating

Reactions: podge
when getting in the water is more appealing than sitting on the beach and watching pamala anderson lookalikes play volleyball

You walk into a petshop, see a large fishtank...and your trigger finger starts to twitch.

You walk into an Bali / Indonesian furniture shop, see a carved wood fish on the wall...and your trigger finger starts to twitch.

Your childs colouring in book has a picture of a cat, and your son says he will colour it in, and he says that he will give it a ..'yellowtail'...and your trigger finger starts to twitch.

You are watching a discovery film on the Blue Planet, with amazing footage of a Blue Whale giving birth, but you miss it all, because you see, blurring and insignificant in the background, a small school of gamefish, and yes...your trigger finger starts to twitch.

Thats enough, can't write no more lk,.i[]ojk\ my;LK trigger finger ' try3$#% hg; is starting k\pll';,c ,.vc.....................................:D

Reactions: Dobs and podge
You keep diving until you get the holed up fish.

Weather doesn't matter only that the water not frozen over.

You hold your breath in the Shower

You have a spar with your wife/girlfriend (or 1 night stand) and she comlains that your not actually doing anything while spending 3 minutes underwater.

The kids complain that they dont want to eat fish 3 times a week and there is no room in the freezer for ice cream.

You contemplate sneaking in and shooting the Koy gold fish in your neighbours back yard.

You shot the Koy and say you were drunk when you did it.

Your wife dosent know how many spearguns you have because if she did you would loose your Nads. ( it helps if you buy the same brand guns)

You only go to holiday destinations that you can spear at.

You have Calf muscles that Arnie would be proud of

Crusty

- When you drive along the beach on a dangerously snaky road the wife starts complaining to keep your eyes on the road.
Cause your lookin at the water scanning for potential dive spots.
- When you sleep you dream of fish and your speargun goin through them.
-Your seriously contemplating bying another freezer, your ice is starting to taste fishy rofl
- You have more than two chest freezers in the garage and no space for the car, because otherwise where will you put all your gear.
- You feel excited when you smell the ocean and if you havent gone diving for a while you feel empty and alone in the world rofl

i dont even bother with ice anymore!

Shadow, you've got to educate them early, like topmanning and gutting, cause thats what the honeymoon's going to be like.

Bluecape, you seen the blue planet episode with the striped marlin hitting the bait ball?

here's another one

your snorkel cost 20 bucks while your fins cost a grand.

"You feel excited when you smell the ocean and if you havent gone diving for a while you feel empty and alone in the world.."

solidarity brother!

pelagicbeing

when you dont go diving on those few weekends and find yourself sitting around and twitchy thinking 'this is a waste of time' i could be in the sea now.....

pelagicbeing

when youre not spearfishing and on a scuba trip and alll your buddies cant seem to understand why you are taking an imaginary gun shot with your hands at the tunas passing by :)

when your non-diving mates start wishing you had a girlfriend instead of you being a spearo cause then you'd at least have more time for them.

When you wake yourself up in the night because you are holding your breath.
When you almost crash your car because you have been holding your breath.
When your kids give you grief while watching the TV as all they can hear is you expelling air because you have been holding your breath.
When you site watching your breakfast egg boil and find yourself waiting for the timer that’s right while holding your breath.

Reactions: Almostafish
podge said:
When you wake yourself up in the night because you are holding your breath.
I do that. rofl

I also hold my breath in between stations on the train.

when your spearguns have names, like Jenny, Jane, Jemima, Jasmine..errrr yeah, well at elast mine do

Reactions: spaghetti
When u practice everyday in the pool and u hold your breath in the bathtub just to dive an inch deeper to reach that deep cave with those big groupers.

When your holidays are scheduled for the best diving, not weather,
When you hate boats, but love boing out at sea,
When you use conditioner to put on your suit to get it on 1minute quicker, even though you konw your skin will peel after intensive dive trip...
When you spend your time among the most beatiful coral reef, and after the dive you only remeber the jacks and groupers.

Pekka

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT