• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Your dive lights using Ni-MH or Li-ion batteries?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Stargazer

Jan 5, 2021
Searching through the various dive lights in the market, some use Li-ion batteries, such as 18650, 26650, and a part of them use AA /AAA Ni-MH batteries. From different divers’ choice, there appears to be different opinions in regards to what the best battery is on a dive light.

I know Li-ion battery has good power, low self-discharge, no memory effect, and can be stored for years, now wildly used in dive lights. As for Ni-MH battery, it has a good capacity, favorable price but relatively high self-discharge, with memory effect. Many divers agree Li-ion batteries have better performance on their dive lights. While, some prefer dive lights powered by Ni-MH batteries. They tell the specific energy capacity is greater with several 18650, 26650, but the whole dive light is also heavier, bigger, which might negatively affect diving. If needing 2 hours runtime, lighter NiMH also has more than enough power capacity for that. What do you guys power your dive lights on? :coffee:

My dive light use a 21700 Li-ion rechargeable battery, its a Acebeam D20.
If you want to use NiMH batteries, I recomend Eneloop.

Reactions: Stargazer
I am using many 26650 li-ion rechargeable batteries 5000, mAh trustfire and 5200mAh keeppower. Have different torches with xml, mtg2 and xhp70 leds. Very good choice for me. Some of my torches with lowest power consuption using 18650 Li-ion up to 3500mAh batteries. In any case all of them Li-ion.
Just only signaling lamp which I use has NiMH rechargable AAA batteries.

Reactions: Stargazer
Not dive specific, but in general I find that even decent Japanese-made NiMH like Fujitsu or Eneloop with a smart charger can be a bit twitchy in torches or bike lights. Things like only using part of the charge before the light goes off coz the voltage has dropped, or one cell discharging faster than the others.
Li-ion might be simpler and less hassle, if you have a choice. I suspect NiMH will disappear before too long.

NIMH has nothing like the energy density of lithium. If you want high power levels it has to be lithium for any decent output and runtime unless you run a separate umbilical battery pack.

I use Ni-MH on a Tovatec, 8 Eneloop AA battery, I have been sing it for about 7 years and its been flawless

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT