• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Yucatan Cenote diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cdavis

Jan 21, 2003
I'm considering a freediving trip to Yucatan to dive the cenotes. Some of the pics look too fabulous to ignore and its easy to get to. Timing probably 2019. Looks like a vehicle and a guide would be required.

Questions:

Anybody done this? Particularly the "Pit"?
Anybody interesting in being a guide for a week or so, not during tourist season?
Anybody interested in doing the trip?
Many of the cenotes are seriously touristy and crowded. Are there any good ones where a group of divers could have it to themselves?

I'm considering a freediving trip to Yucatan to dive the cenotes. Some of the pics look too fabulous to ignore and its easy to get to. Timing probably 2019. Looks like a vehicle and a guide would be required.

Questions:

Anybody done this? Particularly the "Pit"?
Anybody interesting in being a guide for a week or so, not during tourist season?
Anybody interested in doing the trip?
Many of the cenotes are seriously touristy and crowded. Are there any good ones where a group of divers could have it to themselves?

I have dove Dos Ojos, Azul, Ak Tulum and Aktun Chen. It seems even with the touristy ones that there is more than enough room to get a small group together and just dive. Azul was a big touristy one but has 1-2 caves from the pool as well as a bunch of swim through areas. I have dove all these ones without a vehicle or a guide and have had no problems, although it does take some more time to explore!

A few of them are out in the bush, I think particularly the Pit and the ones beyond Tulum.

Thanks for the reply. What was the normal vis you encountered? the best?

I found a contact and will be diving near Tulum, some of those and some out in the bush. I was told the Pit was closed, but would love to dive it. Know anything about it?

Expect infinite visibility. There is no other way to describe it. The worst visibility was descending through the halocline which is a salty layer separated from the fresh water but it is more of a blurriness than visibility reduction. Cenote Angelita I have heard has quite the amazing sulfur cloud at 85 feet or so.

No idea on the Pit though, there was a local freedive shop called Amancay in Playa del Carmen I noticed on the last trip (2016).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT