• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Zanzibar

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

KristianH

Jan 23, 2008
I am a beginner freediver going on a relaxed holiday in Zanzibar between the 3rd and 10th of February. I have done a bit of freediving without fins on mediteranean holidays, but this will be my first experience after joining a free diver course (in an indoor pool) this fall and buying fins.

Any advice or snorkeling/dive spots not to be missed will be much appreciated. I am staying in a hotel near the village of Kiwengwa.

Thanks in advance.

Kristian

Howzit,

This is a post for others, sorry it's a bit late for you.

Officially spearfishing is not allowed in zanzibar. However there are no controls and the local Mkoketoni divers do nothing else(with tanks), they kill everything even mantas.
You can easily hide a speargun in your boat. The only spot where you must not try to shoot fish is in the reserve around Mneba island, the diving here is awesome, don't bother about scuba since the best sights are above 20m and easily accessible to free-diving.
To spear fish, just go to some local dive charters they will take you along for a minimal fee, local fisherman are also keen.
For a real hardcore dive charter a boat to Leven Bank, this is a reef 17km north of Zanzibar, the reef come up from 270m to 14m, it is teeming with large school s of fish(up to 10kg) and there are some huge GT(40kg+), Wahoo, ect here. Diving can be very hard, ask about the conditions and tides, 10m/s rip over the reef is an experience in it own right.
The average dive is about 25m deep and if the winds and tides are right your are in heaven.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT