• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Zeagle Ranger BCD

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What is your opinion on the Zeagle ranger BCD

• fantastic!!!

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • good!

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • neutral

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • bad!

• never again!!!

• Total voters

mishu1984

Halla Waaaaallllaaa
Aug 15, 2002
I am looking to buy a Zeagle ranger BCD. i have heard a few people say its very good and has longeevity and if you eventually want to be more technical about your scuba, you can still use this BCD.

waht is your opinions and why?

all your input will be greatly appreciated.

I have heard great things about this also, but I have yet to try one. I was told they are comfortable and easily expandable for tech diving in the future. I am seriously looking into one myself.

I have an old Zeagle Ranger BC. Its about 7 years old and looks the same as the day I bought it. The newer models have a zip cord that collapses the bladder to make it more streamlined when air is released. Of course because I own one, I wholehartedly recommend it, but I will give some other reasons besided long lasting and rot resistance. I really like the weight integration. I can float completely vertical without effort. (perfect for just floating over reefs with your face inches from the corals.) also, the BC feels comfortable because you can customize all of the pieces. (waist, shoulder straps, etc.) I also dive with a pony bottle, so I put an extra pound on the other side of my BC and still float even. If you get the Zeagle, definitley get the octo plus. That eliminates a whole other line from your regulator, which is less drag, and one less hose to get tangled around wrecks, etc. By the way, the octo plus is a regulator and inflator button all in one, it works great as a power inflator and secondary regulator. in conclusion, great BC, in my opinion.

thanks for a ll the input guys... i probalby will be getting it before the summer.

goto www.scubatoys.com and ask for Larry.

He sells the zeagle ranger for $399
and the zeagle ranger ltd for $499.

He'll match any one's prices and you get a real full manf. warranty.

Don't waste your money. Get a backplate and wing instead.

I used to use Zeagles, but switched to a plate and wing, for both single and multiple tank dives, and haven't looked back.

I also had some problems with the rip-cord quick release- as in it would self-release weights out of the pockets without being pulled, and yes, I DO know how to thread them.

You'll get a better fit with a plate, once you have adjusted it correctly, and it's nealry bullet-proof. As far as going the tech route, you'll end up in a plate and wing eventually, so save yourself some money up front- I wish I had.:head

Trying to dive doubles with a Ranger is just too sloppy. A back plate will hold them much closer to your spine.

A plate and wing will also pack smaller for travel.

If you insist on going with a wanna-be tech BC at least get a Diverite transpac instead. On second thought, just get the plate and wing, you'll be much happier.

Jon

Reactions: Baur
thanks for al the input guys. i still dont know what i am going to do. i still have to make sure that i have all the financial aspects covered. :D

but thanks anywyas for the great input

Reactions: Baur
Zeagle Escape

User of Escape highly reccomends

Light and good (exclude tec standards pls)

:p

zeagle

I sold mine a year ago (used) and I could still buy a wing and a backplate plus a used apeks ATX50 with a long hose- I don't think I'll ever wear anything else than a bacplate...

The ranger is a great, sturdy BC. I have well over 300 dives on mine and it is almost as good as new. And yes, it is a little more "tech" than alot of other BCs.

BUT, I would not recomned it for real tech diving (doubles etc.) You would be much better off with a backplate and harness, or something like the Transpac, that is made for tech diving. Most tech bcs can also do singles. That is just my opinion. Good luck.

One more thing. Instead of the octo plus- Get the Atomic SS1. Same kinda thing, but mush easier breathing and better buttons.

Also - DON'T BUY OFf THE INTERNET! Try to support your local retailer. Often times they can match, or least get close to any price you can get on the net - plus you know the guy you bought it from.

Sorry to flog a dead horse, but get a backplate, wing and harness. You can dive either singles, doubles, or multiple stages just by changing the wing size. You get to keep the same harness and backplate for all your diving (change it to ally for travelling). This is a good thing because you will be used to where the d-rings are (most bcd have far too many) and how it feels in the water. A good dive setup should allow you to dive either open water, wreck, or cave with minimum modifications. A wing lets you do this, a BCD does not

Originally posted by Jon
...Get a backplate and wing instead.

I used to use Zeagles, but switched to a plate and wing, for both single and multiple tank dives, and haven't looked back.

I also had some problems with the rip-cord quick release- as in it would self-release weights out of the pockets without being pulled, and yes, I DO know how to thread them.

You'll get a better fit with a plate, once you have adjusted it correctly, ... As far as going the tech route, you'll end up in a plate and wing eventually, so save yourself some money up front- I wish I had.

Trying to dive doubles with a Ranger is just too sloppy. A back plate will hold them much closer to your spine.

A plate and wing will also pack smaller for travel...

Jon

A diver interested in a Zeagle fabric-back B/C is not the kind of person that would be interested in a backplate.

The Zeagles have tremendous advantages over the backplates. First, they roll up nicely, and are easy to pack and light weight. They do not get you pulled out of the check-in line at the Xray machine like a backplate will. They have pockets where you can store your safety gear for offshore boat diving, like your orange sausage, your signal mirror, and your 15 ft safety stop reel. They hold a single tank nicely in their double bands. You do not need an STA with them. The quick release shoulder straps make them easy to get out of after diving. The adjustable straps make them easier to get into than a backplate harness.

There is no comparison between a Zeagle B/C to anything else available. The Ranger itself is not specifically designed for double tanks, however. Zeagle does make B/Cs like their TECH model which is so designed for doubles. These Zeagles will easily accomodate double 72s or double 80s.

And if you were looking for a backplate and wing, you would be doing it only for one of two reasons. Either you are a tech diver with really large double tanks (double 140s or double 150s), or else your diving buddies simply put pressure on you to obtain a totally unnecessary piece of gear.

Last edited:
"And if you were looking for a backplate and wing, you would be doing it only for one of two reasons. Either you are a tech diver with really large double tanks, or else your diving buddies simply put pressure on you to obtain a totally unnecessary piece of gear."

-northcoastdiver

Agreed!

Interesting comparison of the Zeagle vs. Back plate/wing. I have dove a back BC with a hard pack since 1976, first was the Scubapro BCP, then in 1978 I bought an At-Pac, used that exclusively (and traveled with it) until 1997 when it gave up and I went to a SS backplate/wing that I used for recreational (beach and boat diving) and technical diving. I have no problem getting in and out of it with the same ease as those diving with Zeagle/transpack rigs. You can put together a backplate/wing for substantially less then a Zeagle. Both my buddy and I have traveled out of the country with our rigs without any problems. As a matter of fact my buddy just returned from the Galapagos and experienced none of the problems that you speak of.
I would recommend a backplate and wing to anyone whether or not they ever indented to tech dive. For recreational I find the backplate much more comfortable in the water than the soft vest style rigs. I have not found a necessity to have more than one d-ring per shoulder and the straps I find are less cumbersome than the harness/cummerbund/chest clip arrangement of the vest.
But rather than listen to anyone, my true recommendation is to go out and do at least 5 dives with each before you plunk down your money.

Originally posted by John A
Interesting comparison of the Zeagle vs. Back plate/wing. .. But rather than listen to anyone, my true recommendation is to go out and do at least 5 dives with each before you plunk down your money.

Agreed.

As I mentioned before, my back plate and wing pack smaller than my wife's Zeagle travel BC. Since my wing has a complete donught design to t I have much better bouyancy contol when diving in a head down postion- like when taking picutres- than I do with any of the standard wings that Zeagle makes. BTW: dive rite now makes similar wings that will do the same thing.

Once you get a plate fit you won't want to go back to the sloppy fit of a fabric BC. this si something you have to try for yourself to believe. It will take a little more time to set up a plate when you first get it, but the pay-off will be much greater in the end- less cost, better fit, easier breathing, better trim. Pocket can be added onto a back plate harness with ease- Diverite makes a number of them. Or, you can look at some of the pocket shorts that are sold through Fifth Dimension. This is the way tec divers carry extra gear, in their thigh pockets, and these short allw you to do that with a wetsuit- or no suit.;)

John A.,

I used At-pacs for a number of years and then switched to Zeagles. After I had some issues with the rip-cord system failing I switched to a transpac. I finally went to a back plate and have never looked for anything else since it did everything I wanted it to and was a lt more "bullet proof" as well.

Jon

I on the other hand loathe my backplate, only use it when I absolutely must, with twin 130s or larger, and prefer my Zeagle TECH instead, for double 100s or smaller, or for tropical dive trips, or single tank diving. The Zeagle rig will hold any type of wings as well, and they all roll up nicely, detached.

Its fairly typical, and works well, to have one B/C system for your warm water travel diving, and another backplate system for your tech rigs. You can use any one system for both, but that often presents a problem however you do it.

You do not need pockets on a backplate system, since your deco diving will be with a drysuit and these have cargo pockets. A backplate system for warm water tropical dive travel, however, leaves you with no pockets, giving you no place to put your boat diving safety gear (orange sausage, spool with 15 ft line, signalling mirror).

Last edited:
zeagle

Hi Mishu-

Just saw this thread! I use a Ranger with all the extra stuff on it. I also dive doubles up to twice a week with it. I have had no problems, no sloppiness or other problems-It may be fit. That said, I like backplates as well... Try both and feel free to PM me if you have any questions. ( I would not get rid of my Ranger for anything-It has more than performed and held up under some pretty rough conditions as well as giving me excellent stability when moving carefully inside wrecks, needing perfect control, etc.)

I must disagree with northcoastdiver. I use my backplate for everything except teaching. In a bad situation, your hands need to go to the right place each and everytime. If I reach for a backup torch, it WILL be where I put it, and it WONT have been turned on without my noticing, which can happen if stuffed in a pocket.

I have pockets on my full 5mm wet suit, and I have a clip on cargo pocket that straps around my leg and fastens to the waist strap of my harness for tropical diving.

Also, I carry my SMB (Sausage) clipped off to the rear d-ring of my crotch strap, it is too big to fit in a pocket of a BCD.

I use the Scubapro x-tec, for twins, singles, and also teaching. i have the small 28lb wing for single tank diving and teach with it, no problems.

i used to use the Scubapro glide jacket style bcd, once i got into a wing and harness, couldn't go back. Its so comfortable. my few bits and pieces (and very few as i believe in just taking the minimum) for teaching and diving and even tech-diving go in a Dive-rite pouch threaded on to the waist strap.

i never used a back plate as the ones we had at the dive centre were 6lb and i didn't use weights for using twins.. was too heavy.

old bcd is hung up in Dad's garage.

i have dived with a few people who swear by Rangers though.. although someone did come to me with a sore foot as his weights fell out of those strange threaded up weight pockets...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT