• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Zebra Mussels

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dewit2it

Nov 24, 2006
This June I found zebra mussel stuck to a rock in Redgranite Quarry, WI. I killed it and hope it was the only one, but normally if you find one there's a billion more on the way. Just remember to clean your gear before diving in different waters. These little PITAs should not be given free rides.

Very important to be careful about things like that. Here in the UK there are some pests and diseases that can be transmitted from one lake or river to another by things like fishing and diving gear. The American Signal Crayfish has spread through most of the UK and almost wiped out the native White-clawed Crayfish. The native crayfish still lives in a few sites, hopefully the signal crayfish won't be accidentally introduced there. That's where we can help out, by eating our way through the invaders! :D

Another problem is KHV (Koi Herpes Virus). This is a serious disease of carp that is already in several sites in the UK. If it gets into commercial fish farms, garden ponds and carp fisheries, it could be disastrous.

Lucia

naiad said:
Another problem is KHV (Koi Herpes Virus). This is a serious disease of carp that is already in several sites in the UK. If it gets into commercial fish farms, garden ponds and carp fisheries, it could be disastrous.

Lucia

!!!! Promiscuous fish tut tut :D

Reactions: naiad
rofl rofl rofl
Maybe we could start a campaign: 'Responsible Divers Don't Spread Herpes'

Reactions: spaghetti
Naiad,

Talk about eating your way thru the invaders, on another forum, we were joking about eating zebra mussels. I checked with the local Sea Grant and found that they might be edible after all. Just want to watch the water that they come from, as you don't need the PCB's.:yack

Zebra chilli or popcorn mussels anyone?:p

I wouldn't suggest eating them.

NHK rented out our charter boat a couple of years ago to film their documentary and the mussles. Half way through the week they flew over to Detriot to do some filming. There were reports of the ducks eating the mussles- and then dying! What looked like a natural way to take care of them turned out for the worse.

Zebra mussles won't be much of a problem in a few more years as the Quaga mussles wipe them out, and do ten times the damage in the process. They can reproduve in the winter months, which the zebras can't, and they can live much deeper- down to 500'. I've seen video footage that some friends of mine shot on the Carl D. Bradly and they are down there already.:head

The vis may have gotten better but the wrecks were a LOT more intersting to look at before the mussles came. Now they are falling apart from the shear weight of them.

Jon

Well I haven't heard that, but I have heard that the diving ducks are starting to change their migratory patterns to chow on the mussels. The ducks dying sounds like a pollution problem.

Molluscs filter feed, this concentrates water-borne chemicals, whether toxic or not. Water pollution, including air-borne particulates (mercury etc. from coal burning and incinerators) that rain down into rivers and lakes, accumulate in filter feeders, which are then consumed by higher level carnivores up the food chain. Some chemicals/toxins reside in fat, some in muscle tissue, some in internal organs, some in bone or shell, it depends on the chemical.

Many molluscs and other sea critters crave iron, in natural seawater iron is rare, navy ships use toxic paints to prevent massive layers of barnacles etc.

DDeden

Up here the freshwater drum appear to be really happy about the Gobies and Zebra muscles. I think I've seen cormorants eating them as well. We do not have the obvious pollution problems Detroit does but it would be interesting to get a read out on species known to consume them in quantity. They don't seem to specify which toxin they think is causing the problem - I read awhile ago botulin was associated with the Quaga mussels and that this, in fact, was killing ducks - perhaps the article is before that? Selenium - interesting. There are people who claim Selenium binds with mercury and helps human beings eliminate it - thus possibly neutralizing the mercury found in fish.

I do know it is a powerful anti-oxidant - but that humans are advised to take no more than 400mcg per day from all sources.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT