• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Attracting fish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

charlie.

Aug 12, 2013
I had an idea today after talking to a rather grizzled looking, rollup somking rod and reel fisherman, when i was walking along Filey bay. Now Filey bay is very boring for fishing/spearfishing due to its flat and featureless sand bottom but what he was doing was soaking a 1" cube of sponge in a fish oil and tying it just above the hook to draw in the fish (the oil is made made by boiling fish bones, skins and heads then skiming the oil/fat off the top). now my idea is verry similar but sutf a sponge into a 500ml bottle (the top half dotted with holes) pore in some of this fish oil to saturate the sponge and hang it from your buoy to atract the fish into you. Can anybody see any problems or can offer any improvements please let me know.

Reactions: Mr. X and ReefTroll
Saw a couple of Greek Spearos setting off from a beach in SE Crete the other week. They took chum out with them. Didn't see them working so not sure how they used it.

They also came back in with a well chewed fish attached to one of their floats, presumably to attract more targets.

in NZ we use two methods - either attaching a burley bomb to the anchor chain and picking the fish off (although it's a bit stink since not much of a challenge) or up north for snapper snooping we shoot some random fish like a paroe slice them up and wedge them between some rocks. Come back after 30 minutes and see what has shown up…

charlie i like your thinking .A few weeks back coming back to a prawn pot baited with mullet heads n bits i found it surounded by bass .now weather they were just passing or having a snif nibble im not sure but im sure they were all trying to get at the bait bag .next time im down the coast (poss sat) i may try some bait nets some on bottom some floating i will put the floating one where i can hide near by and watch .will let you know what happens.a fine mesh bag or old tights with fish guts n tinned fish oil may do the trick.i have a block of scallope innerads too. im told are high in feramones that attract fish /crabs /lobsters.last time they all washed away because i put them in a bait basket not a fine net to hold them together.my floating prawn pots were much better at keeping the crabs off the bait.so may last longer to draw bigger fish in.

Charlie your idea sounds great! Might have a go at making something similar myself! I love it!

I've seen on a few s.a spearfishing videos the guys scratch the reef or sand to make a cloud to attract the fish and it does seem to draw their attention somewhat

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

i think I've got my recipe down now: brown crab meat mixed with sea trout/ salmon oil, cut off a finger of a rubber glove and pack this horrible s**t in and tie it up with fishing line then whack on a 1 oz weight and just before (for the love of god no sooner) prick it with holes. I've had pollock, rass, bream, mullet, bass and all manner of crustaceans milling around when I've put these out. this is a definite must try for spearing in shallow water. please post if you have success with this :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT