• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Computer + Fin Recommendations?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ElectroPulse

Jan 2, 2014
Hello, all!

I've been experimenting with freediving for a year or so, and would like to look into getting some equipment designed for freediving. I've just been using some Aeris Mako fins, and they've worked fairly well, but I'd like to go deeper. I've only dove once with a computer, and went 60 feet. My goal is by the end of the school year (I'm teaching in Palau) to hit at least 100 feet.

For the diving computer: I got SCUBA certified last year, and have wanted to get a diving computer, as the company we usually dive through often doesn't have enough computers to go around (especially for standby local divers). However, the main push currently for me to get a diving computer is for the freediving use. SCUBA diving is great, but costs $70-90 a day (excellent price, I know, but am living on a stipend), so I would likely get more use out of it while freediving. What are some recommended diving computers with a freediving mode for <$300? I've heard the Suunto D4i thrown around quite a bit, as well as a model by Aeris (I forget with one), but am wondering if that is still the current recommendation as of August 2014.

As for fins: I'm looking for fins that are <$150 (could stretch it to <$200, but would much prefer the former). I've seen the Cressi 2000 and 3000 recommended quite a bit, and am looking into those. Again, are these still commonly recommended as of this date?

And a question regarding fins: What would you recommend for getting the right fit in my situation? I'll be going around to some LDSs on the island to see if they have any freediving fins, but I'm doubting they will. SCUBA is very popular here among tourists, and so far haven't been able to find much online about freediving here. No classes or anything available. Talking to some of the locals, freediving isn't that big of a thing here. Anyway, that aside, I'll likely have to get them shipped in from off-island. What would be your recommendation for ensuring I get the right size the first time? Are the usually specifically-sized, or is it a range, then just get a sock that fills in the gap?

Thanks!
ElectroPulse

Hmm... Unable to edit my post. Strange.

Anyway, just re-looked up the Suunto D4 and realized it was way out of my price range... Anyway, the request for recommendations still stands. A full-featured SCUBA diving computer (forgot to mention, needs to have nitrox capabilities) with a freedive mode (and a user-replaceable battery would be a definite plus, as sending one in would be a major PITA from out here).

I purchased mako competition free diving fins and I love them. The price is really good also. For a computer I decided to get one that I can use for scuba and freediving. I went with the oceanic geo 2. The freediving mode is pretty good for a computer watch that does both.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT