• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wanted Continental fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rosschambers02

Sep 14, 2022
Hi, I’m new to this site. I’ve been trying to track down a pair of Continental flippers med/large in size. They stopped making them years ago & Hanimex & Turnbull are brand names that also made them. If you are aware of any out there, please let me know, cheers Ross

Hi, I’m new to this site. I’ve been trying to track down a pair of Continental flippers med/large in size. They stopped making them years ago & Hanimex & Turnbull are brand names that also made them. If you are aware of any out there, please let me know, cheers Ross
Hi Ross, I’ve found a pair of these while clearing out my Uncles place as he’s gone into a nursing home.
Are you still after them? They’re located in Geraldton, West Australia.
Cheers, Leonie

Hi Ross, I’ve found a pair of these while clearing out my Uncles place as he’s gone into a nursing home.
Are you still after them? They’re located in Geraldton, West Australia.
Cheers, Leonie
Hi Leonie, If Ross doesn't want the Continental Giants, i certainly would take them.
Regards Roger

Turnbull and Hanimex produced two different fin models with that name: the Continental and the Giant Continental:

Continental
$_57.JPG

Giant Continental
Giant_Continental.jpg
The Giant Continentals have longer blades and the originals came with instep straps for additional security in choppy waters.

Turnbull and Hanimex produced two different fin models with that name: the Continental and the Giant Continental:

Continental
View attachment 59643

Giant Continental
View attachment 59644
The Giant Continentals have longer blades and the originals came with instep straps for additional security in choppy waters.
Hi DRW, During 17 years as a abalone diver (as a subset of 40 years of diving), I've owned a black pair (not buoyant), numerous blue pairs and a yellow and blue pair. All Giants. Never seen a gold pair. Must be an anniversary or Christmas edition.

Reactions: DRW
Hi DRW, During 17 years as a abalone diver (as a subset of 40 years of diving), I've owned a black pair (not buoyant), numerous blue pairs and a yellow and blue pair. All Giants. Never seen a gold pair. Must be an anniversary or Christmas edition.
I have a pair of black Continental Giants (below) that I purchased on eBay a while ago. They aren't a completely matched pair as one is embossed with "Turnbull" and the other with "Hanimex". I bought them for sentimental reasons as I remember seeing them in a sports store here in North-East England back in the late 1950s after my parents had given me a Turnbull Sea-Raider green triangular dive mask as a birthday present.

giant_continental-jpg.59644

They are great fins, powerful and virtually indestructible. I've used them to snorkel with in the North Sea, fitting them over the feet of a vintage drysuit to keep myself warm and dry. I wasn't aware that they were available in alternative colours such as blue and yellow. A collage below shows Continental Giants in a period advertisement and with their unique instep straps. It's hard to believe that these fins were first launched over sixty years ago! So sad too that they are no longer in production anywhere.

Collage2.jpg

I have a pair of black Continental Giants (below) that I purchased on eBay a while ago. They aren't a completely matched pair as one is embossed with "Turnbull" and the other with "Hanimex". I bought them for sentimental reasons as I remember seeing them in a sports store here in North-East England back in the late 1950s after my parents had given me a Turnbull Sea-Raider green triangular dive mask as a birthday present.

giant_continental-jpg.59644

They are great fins, powerful and virtually indestructible. I've used them to snorkel with in the North Sea, fitting them over the feet of a vintage drysuit to keep myself warm and dry. I wasn't aware that they were available in alternative colours such as blue and yellow. A collage below shows Continental Giants in a period advertisement and with their unique instep straps. It's hard to believe that these fins were first launched over sixty years ago! So sad too that they are no longer in production anywhere.

Thanks DRW, I have one Black one remaining. I actually liked them the best as they were stiffer than the blue and the yellow and blue (softer still) I'll sent a picture of the multi coloured ones when i go down to the boat. Do you still want the Black ones you got from eBay?

Reactions: DRW
Thanks DRW, I have one Black one remaining. I actually liked them the best as they were stiffer than the blue and the yellow and blue (softer still) I'll sent a picture of the multi coloured ones when i go down to the boat. Do you still want the Black ones you got from eBay?
We always took the straps and side buckles off as they got caught in the seaweed when working the rocky bottom.

I'd be interested in seeing a picture your coloured Continental Giants. I'm hanging on to the black pair in my collection as it's such a landmark design and in advance of its time.

DRW

We always took the straps and side buckles off as they got caught in the seaweed when working the rocky bottom.
Those three-way fin grip straps invented by Paul Beuchat in the late 1950s fulfilled the same function without the buckles. French patent below:

FR1224519A.jpg

The inventor also took out an Australian patent for the same design.

Here are my very tired blue pair and not so tired (but still well used) multi colour pair. Are sure you wont part with the Black unused pair?

Excellent photos. No, I'm afraid I couldn't bear to part with my black Turnbull/Hanimex Giant Continentals. I have also used them in the North Sea and I intend to do so again.

DRW

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT