• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset spearfishing 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.

misterlizard

Tom Arnold
Oct 11, 2002
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!
So, who's first into the water then?! Looking lovely out there, good old seasonal gales and driving rain. I would love to lead the way but my car is currently abandoned at the side of the road where it conked out in a flood on the way home this morning. Grr.

Sent from my W100 using Tapatalk

Well.....I 'was' getting in today :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Happy new year to all. Lets hope this year brings more fish, bigger fish and more socials. Wish I could get in soon, bloody weather needs to back off.
Off to Corsica at the end of Jan for a few weeks, might see if I can sneak my gear in the freight and get some spearing over there, need to see about a permit though as think I need one???

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Any vis in portland or poole harbour?

A few bass still about ;)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389385459835.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389385459835.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 223
Reactions: grantl
Happy new year to everyone,
Two days ago I spoke to my fiend who stays at the moment in Palm Mar, Tenerife. He says that there are lots of Mullets, Breams, Sea Bass and sometimes even decent Blue Fish on his stringer.
Decided to take short brake and jump to join him next Sunday. Return ticket 105 GBP! Appartments from 150 euros per week!
Anyone interested?

Enjoy your trip Paul, I would join you but I think my other half might have something to say about it....... I may have to do a french trip to Brittany in the summer & take my gear.

Happy New Year All.

Happy new year to all. Lets hope this year brings more fish, bigger fish and more socials. Wish I could get in soon, bloody weather needs to back off.
Off to Corsica at the end of Jan for a few weeks, might see if I can sneak my gear in the freight and get some spearing over there, need to see about a permit though as think I need one???

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Hi ashly122,

Yes you need a permit to be able to spearfish in Corsica (sorry I don't have more information), also there are some limitations on what you can spear, I guess the grouper is protected there.

Cheers

Marco

Just booked a spearfishing/camping trip for me and three friends for my birthday.
We have fished plenty with traditional methods but have no spearfishing experience, or knowledge of Dorsets local ecology, being from the west midlands.

We are in town for 7 days and are only interested in catching eating fish as we don't kill for fun but for food.

Any tips from you salty ol' pro's for us rookies on what sort of fish and where best to hunt and with what style we should be focussing our energies on?

It would really make for one hell of a 22nd birthday if I could land enough fish to feed us all to bursting point over a fire at least once whilst we are visiting.

Cheers ladies and gents. Very grateful for any advice.

The grey mullet will be your easiest, tastiest and most sustainable target.

Reactions: Jonny250
I'm told that portland harbour is still good fishing in june when you often suffer large blooms. Will I be finding many greys there that time of year?

Just stay safe, shallow and look for the mullet feeding on the rocks

Mullet are about all year. In June they will be plentiful

Get in at sandsfoot beach, go left in front of the castle and hunt around the grass.

Just remember that it is illegal to 'spear crustaceans' but you can pick them up by hand. Check underneath for eggs, if it has eggs then let it go. Also I think there us a take limit of 2 lobsters per person per day. It takes a lot of patients and long breathe holds to tease a lobby out of his hole.

Good advice.

I think law or not, basic ethics would stop me taking any creature with eggs or young or even a male attempting to court a potential mate.

I don't even like seeing particularly large ones in the fish mongers as I know how many years it took and how many battles it won for the poor bugger just to wind up on the dinner plate for some fat brummie.

Middle sized and hand caught all the way.

I've just ordered a Cressi Comanche 75cm, am I heading in the right direction with this kind of gun or am I just a sucker for an enthusiastic product description? I paid just shy or 80 quid for it. I can still cancel the order if I've been ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT