• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from Mid-West USA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ichthys

Aug 3, 2014
Hi there! I'm just a swimming/free-diving enthusiast who found his way here in looking for my first monofin. Thanks for all of the opinions/reviews, except the ones that end with "I've never actually used it". ;)

I'm lucky to live within an hour of Lake Michigan, and growing up my dad imparted a love of swiming and free-diving. Pools are nice for going from 0-18' right away right off the bat, and are always clear, local lakes are... water even if they aren't clear, but nothing beats a huge lake on a clear, calm day for swimming and diving. Let me qualify "free-diving" by saying I've never been deeper than about 25', and usually 15-18', without fins, and often without a mask. Cold water, warmer water, calm, red flag, ... My dad had us do speed-diving drills and practice holding our breath in case any boats didn't see us. We started from the beach, which means we swam about 200 yards before we got to the deeper water (depending on the state of the bottom, and which beach we launched from), alternating strokes, and floating on our backs to keep from getting worn out. By the time we got back to the beach we sometimes spent as much as 2 hours out there just swimming about and diving. One summer we went every morning before dad started his 2nd shift job.

I'm 31 now, and I still love it, but I'm looking to go a little deeper, explore a little more, equip a dive bouy (to smooth things over with the coast guard), and start doing some swimming/diving with a monofin. My experience with fins has been limited to occasional use of $20 fins, which I usually used in a dolphin stroke (my favorite stroke), so finally I decided that this is/was the summer for my first quality fin/monofin.

I was all set to buy a classic monofin, when I ran across the lunocet again after having seen it several years ago (back then I deciding it was an interesting gadget which introduced mechanical dead space, and probably required too much effort), and ultimately called Ted about 2 weeks ago to place an order for the 2015 Pro. If I get it sometime this summer/year (*nudge* *nudge*), I'll be throwing up some pics/vids and a review for what that's worth.

Welcome to Deeperblue. I've been keeping an eye on the Lunocet for a while and it looks intriguing. It would be awesome if you posted pics and videos. Do you still dive in Lake Michigan frequently? I hear wonderful things about those big freshwater lakes.

You can also head over to the USA/Canada buddy and trip network if you'd like to see if there's anyone else in your area.

I was actually out at Indiana Dunes' Central Beach for a couple of hours Sunday. Didn't end up going out more than about 100-125 yards, because the boats were out in force, so I only hit maybe 14'. I practiced a few strokes, did what shallow diving there was, eyed the deeper water farther out and just enjoyed having the relatively clear water past about 50' from shore ALL to myself. Actually it would be pretty cool to meet anyone out past 50' from shore, and I've seen a handful over the years (usually seem to be serious surface swimmers), but the beach-goers are pretty tame in general, and 5-10 minutes in the shallows before returning to their towels to sun seems to suffice. I really can't relate. What's the point of being on such a "Great" lake if all you do is play in the kiddie pool? ;)

I actually don't mind the boats. It's hard for a boat to sneak up on me when I keep a regular lookout and listen for them underwater, just keep out of their paths as much as possible, and then dive if they get too close. Unfortunately what happens is they get too close, and then they see you and freak out. I know from experience that it would cause a stir to swim too far out, and ultimately I would be sent/taken in by the coast guard/ranger/sheriff boats. But it really is wise to have more of a presence out in the boating lanes, I suppose, so I'm in the market for a dive bouy at least, and maybe eventually a kayak to go along with it. I'm not stupid, and I'm not really foolhardy, I'm just a little wild. :p

I've always wanted to swim to Chicago, which you can see in the distance. Not necessarily strong enough yet, and I haven't researched the currents, but it would be something.

Have you done any wreck dives? Some of the DB members have posted pictures of their wreck dives in the Great Lakes and it looks fascinating.

I've seen some photos, but I haven't been to a wreck myself yet. That would be pretty neat.

Hi Ichthys, welcome :). You might like to search for posts by forum member Fondueset, he dives Lake Michigan with his daughter and has posted some interesting images. There is also a long standing group of spearos on the forum based in the Mid-West, (based around Wisconsin?). Hopefully the modified thread title will help them find you - but have a look around the forum (e.g. http://forums.deeperblue.com/forums/usa-canada.91/ ).

Welcome!

The Lunocet will treat you well. Comfortable and can be worn infinitely... Or until you prune-up from being in the water so long. It's a great first / starter monofin... As well as an advanced / competition piece of equipment. That's something unique to the Lunocet!

I use a Mako inflatable dive float with a 75' float line attached to a breathology lanyard on my wrist, so that I don't get run over / have visibility on waters with boat traffic. If I want to go deeper, I just take the lanyard off for my dive and put it back on upon ascent.

There's some good advice above in this thread. You'd be wise to follow it!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT