• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do I know my max underwater time? Do i take a full breath or?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Darkonos

Jan 29, 2012
I am guessing that the science of breathold increase is your body adapts and gets better at dealing with breathhold situations. Sort of like getting used to living in a cold climate, and being able to handle the cold better than someone who visits from a hot climate. Everyone has a different body, and different sized lungs so how do I go about finding when its a good time for me to head surface? I have heard its a great idea to surface on the first contraction. How would you guys suggest I determin on dry land, doing breath hold attemps, my maximum breath time? Right now I can hold my breath for a max of 3 mins on a giant breath. But contractions start at 1 minute 45 seconds. Also, is it a good idea to free dive on the biggest breath I can take, or should I be taking in only 80% breath or something?

Well there are a lot of different approaches to diving and the volume of air you dive with. Some go full, so go with just a residual volume and so on.

In terms of finding out your max time, it will change every dive, depending upon you, the weather, the water, lots of things.

It will be said, do NOT dive alone. The only way to truly find out about dive times etc in a safe manner is to attend a course and then dive with a partner to truly discover it within yourself.

This is an extremely variable sport.

If you're interested in freediving, take classes from a certified instructor and join a freedive club. The instructor will get you started, teach you how to improve, inform you about the risks of shallow water blackout and buddy rescue techniques. In a club you will learn from experiences of others, get tips and find buddies.

Have fun!

Squishy questions with no good answers.

You can't determine your max breath hold while diving from your dry static performance, way too many variables. A very ball park idea would be half your dry static is a very long open water dive, but that is so ball park as to be not very useful. One way to approach the idea is to come up at the first contraction(normally very safe) and then swim around on the surface without taking a breath and with your buddy watching you(don't do this alone). Breathe when it gets very uncomfortable. Get an idea of how much safety margin coming up at the first contraction represents for you.

Breath volume is all over the place and varies with the diver depending on what he is doing. I dive about 60% full, get much longer dives that way, but only when doing relaxed dives. For a beginner, dive full lung. Its easier, simpler, and maybe safer at first(though not in the long run). Experiment with lower volumes as you gain experience.

Have fun with it.

Connor

Last edited:
Reactions: AJB8
First of all take a course if you can find a way to. It will dramatically improve your diving. If you can't then there are a few things to consider. What are you doing? I am mainly a spearfisherman and in my area there is normally no reason to stay down much longer than 1:30. If you are going for an absolute depth or time it may be different.

Some ideas to work from: From my course a good way to determine if you need to breath is to learn your own bodies physical cues. A good way to do this is with static breath holds. During your statics you are experiencing convulsions, this is most likely due to a high CO2 level. Though important you don't NEED to breath. Try ignoring the convulsions and pay attention to some other symptoms. You want to learn what your bodies hypoxic symptoms feel like. For instance on a static hold at about 3:30 i get a tingling feeling in my fingertips. As i progress it gets stronger and works it's way up my arm. At about 4min it makes it past my wrist; this is as far as i've ever held my breath so i can't describe further. But the idea is that if i'm ever diving and i feel my fingers tingle, i should plan on surfacing because i'm in a hypoxic zone.

Maybe try doing some 02 tables. They are designed to put you into a hypoxic state. I'm sure that after doing them a few times you will realize what symptoms your body has when you become hypoxic. Dive safe and have fun!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT