• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to start Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I found this thread the best overall introduction to free-diving of all the places I have looked. Doubtless there are volumes of complimentary topics and discussions but this the most concise and easiest to understand.

this is a great help for me thanks for the info guys ,lot to know about freediving but i cnt afford it into a class and im from asia . i never heard it that theres anybody is seriously interested like me. is there any age limits on freedivng guys?

this is a great help for me thanks for the info guys ,lot to know about freediving but i cnt afford it into a class and im from asia . i never heard it that theres anybody is seriously interested like me. is there any age limits on freedivng guys?
Well, if You're in Asia, do come over to Ko Lanta, Thailand, where Sarah and I are currently located and we can go freediving together. Also, the courses that we're offering here are the cheapest I have encountered anywhere in the world, so You might just be able to afford one as well.
I can only recommend taking a course at any rate, as that will make Your endeavours much safer. I'm sure Your mom will apreciate that. ;)

for the ones who are at the very first of beginning....

never dive without buddy
never try to get PB without proper training
use a propper gear [small mask, longue fins, monofin]
quit smoking [this is an advice for me to :p]
koffe is not good because in freediving the heart-beat must decrease
take a course [the google can be good, but a course is perfect]
there is not a receipt for the perfect ammount of led on the belt....you must try your flotability [remember that the first 10m are the hardest to dive in....after 10m in most of cases, the flotability become negative because of air compression]

for my mate with astma:....i think that in your case is more dangerous to scuba-dive, than freedive.....when freedivie you need only one breath to go down and up....in scuba you MUST NOT keep your breath....

Slight incorect, Martin has not had a record in static apnea for some time, the record is now 11min 35secs by stephan mifsud. This was set without the use of oxygen before hand.

Yeah 8 06 was a looong time ago. He still gets world records though.

'Defying common sense all the way' is a bit harsh rofl
Posted via Mobile Device

i liked the image bellow...
is a signature of a buddy from a romanian scuba and freediving forum...

evolution.jpg

excellent job vali!

Could you pm me a slightly higher res on, would love to have this one on car, t-shirt and/or suit!

thanks alot!

great job showing evoloution at its finest I used to scuba but its being such a long time I'm even considering selling some of the gear.

Great image of evolution! I think it could even be the "logo" for freediving! I would love to have t-shirts, wetsuit, etc, with this image. :inlove

unfortunately this is the bigest image i,ve got :(
hope u can use it :)

Attachments

• evolutie2.jpg
    evolutie2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 223
Iv been diving with a few years and im looking for something new.All my dive gear is new so im happy with my suit,ill be getting new riffe fins and mask soon and a jbl 53" woody sawed-off magnum,i know it might be over kill for now but im hoping to go for bigger fish in time.So is there anywhere to be trained in free-diving in Ireland?Iv been spending the last two weeks in the water everyday to try to get my breath longer.so im looking for all and any advice you can give me.should i train at home as well as in the water.is there a limt to how much i can train in a day?

great site

Hi

I don't know of anyone teaching in Ireland - but we do get a fair few Irish coming over to learn with us at Saltfree. We teach at Chepstow, which is quite near Bristol airport.

Details on Freedive Courses at SaltFree

have a look and pm or mail me if you're interested

sam

Akoni,

Great post! Wish I'd found it sooner!

Seems like it would be best to start a new thread, and get a mod to make the new one sticky in place of this one.

Then you can use the first few posts for existing content, then "reserve" a few more posts for possible future expansion.

Here are a few edits:

(Note: Ugh, forum is automatically naming URLs with the title of the page being linked to -- which is pretty neat, but in this case kind of annoying. In a few cases it is downright confusing)

"Black-out" section: video link is broken. A good replacement might be this: blackout @ APNEA.cz

"Relaxation" section: maybe add some discussion about cons of using pranayama? I'm a total beginner, but it seems like I've read more posts discouraging people from using pranayama than encouraging its use.

"The mammalian dive reflex" section: Something is wrong with the "Unraveling the mammalian diving reflex (Part I)" article found at Unraveling the mammalian diving reflex (Part I) | Feature Article by Erik Seedhouse on DeeperBlue.com -- not sure who can fix this.

"Equalization" section: "sinusses" misspelled twice.

"Frenzel" section: link is bad, I think the best link would be Liquivision : Freediving : equalizing , but if a direct link is preferred (and is OK with Liquivision) the new direct link is http://liquivision.com/docs/Frenzel_Fattah_English_r2006.pdf . Really though, better to link to the page than directly to the document. I suppose an extremely small percentage of people might prefer Powered by Google Docs (online PDF viewer).

In terms of some of the techniques not mentioned (because they are not appropriate for beginners), it might be nice to just mention them very very briefly, and explain that they should not be attempted. I know many beginners get excited and read a ton of forum posts, so they are likely to run across some advanced techniques. For example, maybe mention FRC, and why it's an advanced technique.

Add some warnings about the dangers of doing dry training -- perhaps a link to this thread: http://forums.deeperblue.com/safety/69746-dry-apnea-safety.html

Perhaps the tables ought to start with lower figures? And link to a longer article on tables?

Rather than saying "I personally do these tables twice a week.", mention clearly that doing tables too often can result in overtraining, and that it's best to only do 1 type of table per day. Er, assuming that's accurate!

Michael

Reactions: Kars
Does the training tables realy help? and about how much time will you notice the differences that it realy did? 2 months?

The tables helped me with controlling my urge to breathe. I think that they really can help with the psychological part of apnea.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT