• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

January - Pre Freeze-A-Palooza Training 1/22 & 1/29

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sounds good Gene,

I'll be there a little before 8pm with a bag of "toys" in tow.

Jon

Some big Karma to Gene for making the 3 hour, round trip, drive in a snow storm to come dive in the pool last night. I hope you had a safe dirve home!

Jon

Was very good to finally meet you Jon...& everyone else. Had a great time. Thank you for letting me try out some of your toys...hope to be able to do so again in the future under real world situations.

Ride home was fine...kinda wish I had a ski or two instead of tires, but we made it. :)

Would like to make it on Wednesday, but I'm uncertain if I will yet.

Thanks again,

Gene

Reactions: maytag
Jon,

One thing I forgot to ask you is what you do for breath holding training when you are not in the water? Is there something you try to do on a daily basis?

Any input would be helpful. I would like to increase my hold time more before Summer rolls in...

pb=2:45 so far, but that is without any training...was more of a mental game of mind over matter...trying to see how long I could hold it.

Thanks,

Gene

There are a ton of threads on here that address that very issue. Do a quick search for C02/02 tables- sometimes called static tables. You should also look into some of the threads on apnea walking/running.

Jon

Jon,

I've seen the threads & have the tables. Is that what you do for training?

thanks...Gene

pb=2:45 so far, but that is without any training...was more of a mental game of mind over matter...trying to see how long I could hold it.
Hi Pinggene,
Is the 2:45 wet or dry? How far does that let you go? It sounds like you can do a lot with that time. I'm trying to estimate how much time I need under my belt to safely complete 50ft, 75ft, and 100ft dives. I know there's no algorithm and please forgive this likely silly question, but I keep having dreams of "running out of air." I tell myself 4 minutes will buy me a safe margin to begin with. But, I have been practicing and practicing an I cannot for the life of me hit it. Thanks for any insight/input.

(Two Sundays ago, I read a protocol for rescuing an unconscious diver underwater right before I went to bed. That night, I dreamed I went wreck freediving with 2 scuba divers (on tanks); I ran out of air, but they wouldn't buddy breathe with me, so I drowned. :head Anyway...)

Cheers to you for the 3 hr drive. That's BlueSpirit.

Take good care, all, and best,

PS Sorry to hear about your wife's father.

Last edited:
Maytag,

The 2:45 was dry...with daughter on the watch...

Not sure how far it would let me go, but I was pretty uncomfortable by the end...I would never push myself that far when diving...I believe it would be too risky...Shallow Water Blackout & all. However, if I ever got into trouble (tangled or something), this would give me some peace of mind that I had some reserve & help me to not panic while I got out of the situation. :)

I've heard that one should not push to a certain % of their PB, but I'm not sure what that % is.

To tell you the truth, I have not been very deep yet...I think 35' was the deepest I went last year...my first year...just because of being overly careful with the unknown...not a bad thing me thinks. I hope to hang out with Jon some more this year & comfortably increase depth. However, there is not a great need for me to go deep as most of the fish around here are shallower than 30' (weed line).

Gene

Was down by the Milwaukee Harbor (Mcinley Marina) yesterday...some open water inside & totally open outside. Has anyone tried around there in the winter?

Looking for a place with good visability yet to try out the suit...:)

Don't think I will go this weekend with a high of 1 F, I think I would be Mr. Iceman by the time I got to the car/warmth. :crutch

Gene

Did you see the 800 pound anchor by the gas dock when you were there? I brought that up and donated it to the city- with a little help from a boat.

I've dove there in the winter time and there's always stuff to find. Another good spot is South Shore Yacht Club. Swimming inbetween all the empty slips will allow you to fill up some goody bags pretty quickly.

If you go out on Government Pier, by Mc Kinnley, you can walk out to the end and then jump in for a swim back. There are orange ladders built into it every couple of hundred feet, or so, which will allow you to climb out anytime you wish. I used to do it with a tank on my back so wearing only freediving gear should be a snap. One time when we dove there i swam out along the wall, pciking up fishing gear along the way, and on the way back in I climbed up onto a passin ice flow. The wind was off the lake so I could ride the ice flow all the way into shore. Once it got to shore I simply walked back onto the breakwall and called it a day.

Jon

No pool tonight as everything is closed today- the projected high is -5F, and that's without the windchill. :(

Jon

Things maybe cancelled if temps drop below 10F. The scuba divers who will be there with us have too many problems with freeze-ups in temps below that.

In the past when we held it on the second weekend in February, for the past 25 years, we have never had a problem pulling it off. I don't know what's so damn lucky about that weekend but it always worked. We'll see how things go a week later. ;)

I'll post on here before the acutal date.

Jon

Jon,

My son & I will be there tonight. We are not currently members. What time could we meet you at the door to be your "guest"?

We are bringing mask, fins, snorkel, suits, weights...anything else?

Thanks,

Gene

Gene,

Check your PM box.

For the Monday pool sessions here's the latest schedule:

Feb. 12 - no pool
Feb. 19 - 8:00 - 9:00
Feb. 26 7:30 - 8:30
All Mondays in March 7:30 - 8:30

Jon

No pool this week but I'll see everyone this weekend for the ice dive- looks like the weather is going to give us a break!:)

Jon

10-4 on no pool tonight.

We'll see you at the ice dive this weekend. I hope to get in the pool before then & see how much weight I am needing to be neutral @ 10' (which is where I need to be as I don't go too deep while spearfishing).

See you all on Sat. - Pass the word around & let's get a good showing. I will probably be there a little early...may try some ice fishing...

Gene

I plan do leave Chicago at 7am so I should get there around 9 or sooner so I can shoot the preparation for the video we gona be making.

Nostrus,

You may want to PM Jon about the Cut time as the forum on the Feb Feeze-A-Palooza states that Scuba starts at 9AM...I would assume the cut would be before that.

Gene

OK Pinggene!

I will let SCUBA divers go in at 9, but I am going in at 11 and FREE!:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT