• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Let's talk crappie!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bglaeser

Jan 4, 2007
This summer I'd like to bag some crappie, particularly during May and June. Last summer I never saw a single crappie....but I wasn't targeting them either. I know Power's Lake has good crappies...but usually the boat traffic is very heavy and the crappies seem to be out in the "traffic lane." I believe a diver was killed there a few years ago.

Any suggestions as to techiques specific to crappies? Any info or anyone with good experience with crappies? Where to look for them...what depth.... etc?

~Brian

Brian,

I'd like some info on this as well...if anyone knows of some good spots/methods...please post.

This would seem to be the best eating...larger fish that we are allowed to spear in Wisconsin.

Gene

Ted (unirdna) should really be posting here since I consider him to be the local master, but I'm sure that he doesn't want to give away too many secrets.

I cruise the weed line until I find a promising spot- which is normally about 50' away from wherever Ted has decided to hunt.rofl

Then I sit on the outer edge of the weeds and wait. It help if this is also the edge of the thermocline, which it often is by mid summer.

While lying in wait I normally get bass to come up first and sometimes they even start nibbiling on the end of my gun- they just seem to know that it's illegal to spear them. :head After this the small bluegill will come in and check things out. A couple more drops and the larger bluegills come in and then the crappie. The crappie just seem to know that they "what's for dinner" and are always very wary. When they do come in close you need to make the first shot count becuase once they see one of their home boys drop they all scatter.

In certain lakes I've found them sitting in bottom scrub weed right on the edge of the thermocline. Once the lakes flip it's anybody's guess because they are now free to roam whever they like.

Earlier this year, before the lakes finally froze, I found them hiding at the bottom of the weeds in less than 3' of water.:confused:

Here's a good shot of Ted shooting two crappie at once, in one of his favorite spots in a local lake that I'l let him name if he chooses.

Jon

Last edited:
Awsome post!!!

Ted my man, I know you don't want to spill the beans on your favorite spots, but Brian is from Kenosha & I am from Oshkosh. How many times will we really be able to make it in a year's time?...1 or 2? I don't think we would do too much damage.

Please PM us if you don't want to put it here for all to see. I'd be willing to trade a Salmon Trip at Sheboygan on our boat (not spearfishing...obviously), for a guided Crappie spearfishing trip. :)

Thanks,

Gene

And with my job etc etc etc I wouldn't be able to make it at all. (I work Saturday mornings.) But I'm not looking for exact lakes and gps coordinates! :) Just help so that I can "find my way" down here or when I go up north on vacation with my family.

Thanks for the help Jon, and if Ted has anything to add.

Great pictures. Is that Ted with "supper for the whole family"??????

When you say you lie in wait... are you lying on the bottom or floating on the top?

~Brian

Aspetto is lying in wait, on the bottom until the fish come in looking for you out of curiosity.

Surface hunting only works when the water is really clear, in the very early spring.

Jon

When it comes to the northern, oligotrophic lakes, I prefer to keep my spots secret. This, because any (and I mean any) additional pressure can really hurt the population. This isn't to say I think you guys will create that pressure. This website happens to pop up at the top of google frequently, and I don't want fisherman reading about the best northern spots. Viz is usually good enough that you could spot fish every damn one of them out of some lakes. That photo Jon posted of me with 15 or so crappie on my stringer is NOT from a northern lake. In those lakes, I only take 4-5 crappie per trip.

Now then, when it comes to the Madison lakes, which are essentially eutrophic with the exception of a clear water phase (mid April - mid June), the only limits are how many I want to fillet. This, because panfish can rebound much better in these lakes, due to the abundant food and weed structure. Lake Waubesa is probably one of the best panfish lakes in Wisconsin. This lake gets more pressure than any I have ever seen. 100's of Fisherman routinely yank out 25 a piece, and still every year, the fish are back. There are many reasons for the L. Waubesa panfishing strengths. I won't go into it here.....basically, it's the perfect storm for panfish.

So yeah, I'd take you guys around and show you the ropes. It's not like you'll "ruin" any spots ;). My research has shown amazing recruitment in Mendota the last few years. The crappie are strong, and not nearly as heavily targeted as the perch. This, because they aren't always biting. In fact, they are pretty finicky biters in Mendota.

I have found them in all kinds of water, in all parts of the state. Rarely do I jump in an inland lake and not find a few to shoot.

Here are some rules:

1. You need to decend without kicking. Weight yourself properly, and in the really shallow stuff, only take 1/2 breaths if you have to. If you kick, you won't see many crappie. In very shallow hunting - 4 feet or less - do not decend headfirst. Just let some air out until you sink - knees first. This also means that ascending is tricky (because you are quite negative). It needs to be done by giving a very gentle shove off the bottom, and then using all hands until you are far enough off the bottom to do a frog kick. I can't stress enough - if you are a spaz kicker, you will not have good luck crappie hunting (and you'll also ruin the hunting in that area). And surface splashing is an absolute no-no as well. Issues with kicking are the main reason novices never see a fish.

2. Don't miss! Knick one of them, and leave a nice flesh wound - and the school bolts. Happens every time. So NO desperation shots. Bring em into 3 foot range, or wait until the next dive. And if you do get one, and it's going nuts on your line, do not move quickly to secure the fish. Just ascend, and slowly pull the fish to the surface. If you spear gets caught on weeds, move it up and down gently until the toggle lets go. Don't let the other crappie see you grab the "wounded" one. All of the "off the spear and onto the stringer" business should be done at the surface, preferably some distance away from the "hot spot".

3. If you see a sandy bottom, you probably won't see a crappie (sand covered in plants in ok). Either muck or cobble. Cobble, infused with plants is the absolute best spot on earth to find a crappie.

4. They are ALWAYS in numbers. If you see one, another is around. If you only see one all day, you spooked em ;).

5. Look for "plant mounds". They love em. A plant mound is that spot on the bottom that seemingly, for no reason has a nice stand of thick, tall plants. Do not drop down on this mound. Drop down 5-7 feet away from it. This same rule applies to fish cribs or any other structures on the bottom. Drop down on top of them, and they split. This is 100% different than in saltwater spearing. Connor's head would spin when we were in the Bahamas, and I never dropped strait down on the grouper. I always came in from the side. This was NOT suppose to work, but grouper seem to be like crappie in that if you never kick, they never move.

6. Spread out! Too many guys in one spot creates too much commotion - even if everyone is still doing it right. Crappie don't like to feel like they are caught between two predators. They approach you because they are curious and think they have the advantage. Put a couple guys on the bottom at the same time and they will leave. Jon has been good enough in the past to guide a rookie or two...or three on a few dives. I come back with stringer of fish, and those two guys never see one. And in many cases, we are working the EXACT same spots. This is because the fella Jon is guiding usually follows closely (because he wants to learn, obviously). However, this works against both hunters. Uh oh!, what about the buddy rule? Well, I guess I'd say that you need to have a "relaxed" buddy rule, if you hope to kill crappies. Each time your surface, take a look to make sure your buddy is doing okay. But, don't crowd him. And remember, you aren't going after tuna in 100 feet. So, don't push yourself. I can fill my stringer on less than 1 min dives - no problem. Also, it's important to know that the fish move around. Jon and I go out all the time, and there is never just ONE spot. There are many small pockets of fish along the shoreline.

- Now, all of these rules apply to crappie that are NOT spawning. If you ever come across them spawning, any hack in the world can still kill fish because you can't spook the school away. If you are lucky enough to find a spawn, target the thinner, darker fish. Those are the males.

I'll give you guys a guided trip this spring. If we are very very very lucky, Waubesa will give us a week or two of clear water. Hope for a dry spring.

Ted

Attachments

• crappie.jpg
    crappie.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Thank you Ted and Jon. I think I will print out your posts and stick them in the glove box of my boat :)

Ted,

Thank you for the post...great info...hope to meet up with you this Spring.

Gene

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT