• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to free diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

_Jake_

Aug 13, 2014
Hi,

My name is Jake and I'm new to free diving, as I had actually never even heard of it being a sport. The past couple of days I've been doing a lot of research on free diving ( even read the thread for beginners here ) and I got intensely interested in it, so I consider starting with it in my spare time as a college student.

When it comes to gear for training, it seems to me like there's not much of a cost, needing only a few things such as a low volume diving mask, long bladed fins ( and a wetsuit ).

I have recently been doing some training myself on breath hold, of which I was very proud, until I discovered free diving and saw the duration of the average diver...

As I've mentioned, I really want to start training ( in a public pool ), and I'm welcoming all possible information. As for as I've understood from the thread for beginners here, having a buddy is necessarily before you can start and understanding safety rules might be a priority too, so I've read a lot on that.

I hope I get to learn a lot from you guys, so that I can start in a proper way!

Greets,

Jake

Welcome. Where are you from?

Maybe we can find you a couple of diving buddies and you can get trained and in the water!?

Reactions: _Jake_
You may want to look into a freediving clinic in your local area. Some of the best competitive divers in the world offer classes. It usually costs several hundred dollars and I've heard glowing reports.

Apneaddict, I'm from Belgium... I doubt that there'll be a lot of free divers, but it would be nice to have someone near.

BatRay, If there is one near, I'd definitely go there to take a look and ask for more information to consider the classes!

I hope the classes work out for you. It's probably the best possible way to start freediving.

I concur about the cost. I got my scuba certification, but was too expensive a hobby, so now I just freedive.

I am following in Jake's footsteps, but live in the Philippines. I am currently back home in the US and have found that equipment costs in the Philippines is far more expensive than here in California. So I am attempting to purchase good quality gear while here. Used is perfectly fine with me if it is of high quality and still in good condition. If there is anyone from the Manila area or anywhere in the Philippines for that matter I would be very interested in connecting and finding some diving partners. I am also interested in free diving and spear fishing where allowed. With 7,000 islands there are beautiful places to dive. Most recently I went diving in Boracay. I am planning a trip to Portulano Resort when I return to the Philippines.

Cheers from Southern California

Hey Fred, you may want to post in the Buddy and Trip Networks subforum in the applicable geographic area. You'll probably have more luck in there.

How's the gear search going?

Hey Fred, you may want to post in the Buddy and Trip Networks subforum in the applicable geographic area. You'll probably have more luck in there.

How's the gear search going?

BatRay the gear search is actually going well. I have rented in the past, but no longer. I am doing all I can to educate myself in the process and have picked up a Tusa mask and ScubaPro Jet fins at a considerable savings off of eBay. Used, but excellent condition - like new. One just has to be diligent. The only thing I have not found good deals on are a 1mm full wetsuit. The suit and boots are something I want to get after getting a toe full of sea urchin spines in Boracay. Good lesson! LOL!
Quick to learn the benefits of vinegar!

Hey Jake, I'd suggest hooking up with one of the Apnea Academy (Umberto Pelizzari's organisation) instructors based in Belgium. Just go to www.apnea-academy.com, click on the Instructors tab and search for Belgium. A good few are listed, one being Giampiero Genovese who I've been instructed by in Egypt and I'll recommend any day of the week.

Cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT