• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Famed Magician In Freediving World Record Stunt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
trux said:
Paul, just get a remote credit card reader - you will immediately know who is in front of you (well, unless it is a pick-pocket who just picked a wallet to someone else). And additionally you may be able to see if their account balance makes them interesting enough for a chat :chatup

A remote credit card reader ? Trux, I MUST have this fabulous toy. Ever since my Senator nixed my proposal to require all adults to have their personal data bar-coded on their foreheads, I've despaired of a technological solution to my phanatic disphonia. Please, please supply me with details on this remote credit card reader thingy. Oh - do you happen to know whether they come with a USB or Firewire connection for my TASER ? Thanks again.

Erik said:
David was on US TV last night, and stated that he has thought of a new endeavour but did not elaborate too much. From what he did say, it sounds like a moving apnea with a "one way or die" resolution.
I like this guy.
I could care less about promoting freediving to the masses as I have no commercial aspirations in the field, but the fact is that this week people everywhere are trying to hold their breath at least once and a lot of attention has been put on freediving. I wonder what the Search Engines look like in the last week?
Peace,
Erik Y.

Erik, I like your take on this ! Diving for Dollars, my man. Who doesn't like a carnival, and everybody loves a parade.

Paul 1.67mio is stil 1.67mio wether it is for a small flat or a big house. Its still a f** lot of money.

pkotik said:
A remote credit card reader ? Trux, I MUST have this fabulous toy...
It's no problem - just get it from your local store with hacker supplies. The only problem is that there is increasing number of people stuffing their wallets with aluminium foil to screen the RFID chips in their cards from remote scanning. Read more details here

PS: I am sorry for the off topic post, but I feel the question needed to be answered in public interest :)

I finally got to watch the David Blaine footage and I saw exactly what TylerZ saw.

I will post a detailed analysis soon.

Anyone who hasn't seen 'it', should watch it again more carefully...

SanSan said:
Paul 1.67mio is stil 1.67mio wether it is for a small flat or a big house. Its still a f** lot of money.

Actually, it isn't a lot of money. That's the point. In Manhattan, it's chump change. Not even slightly interesting. A big yawn. Welcome to New York, my beloved home town.

Last edited:
Erik said:
From what he did say, it sounds like a moving apnea with a "one way or die" resolution.

swimming away from tethered sharks inside a clear plastic tube. As he swims more shark leash is let out. The water has been tainted with blood.

Erik said:
I wonder what the Search Engines look like in the last week?
Peace,
Erik Y.

The British Freediving Association had over 1600 hits alone on Wednesday. For us, that's almost a month's worth.

Eric F / Tyler - you might as well fess up. The show is over now.

AltSaint said:
The British Freediving Association had over 1600 hits alone on Wednesday. For us, that's almost a month's worth.
Mark,

That's brilliant!! I'm so pleased for the BFA.

Thanks Stephan for helping out with the Sky News footage. It was good to see some serious freediving instead of the same backdrops we had been seeing for the previous week.

Zentennis wrote:
"DB recently bought an apartment in Tribeca, NYC for 1.67 million. The interior of one of the rooms to his pad was seen in the special."

For a while I thought DB above meant deeperblue and that Stephen had hit the jackpot no money in freediving ?
yugyug
swimming away from tethered sharks inside a clear plastic tube. As he swims more shark leash is let out. The water has been tainted with blood.
he should have to open doors that are tied closed along the way and the sharks can confer and co operate if needs be

fcallagy said:
For a while I thought DB above meant deeperblue and that Stephen had hit the jackpot no money in freediving ?
Hahahaha! That would have been grand.

smellsfishy said:
Eric, Tyler,

Fill us in please.

Are they being silenced by Blaine's henchmen? I do believe that if you listen carefully you can hear the sound of the little black helicopters...

So the black helicopters caused a change in the air pressure around the tank, and that's why there we're bubbles coming from the bottom and the water level kept changing.

I don't know if that's "it", I'll wait for Eric's analysis. In fact I haven't seen a good quality video of the thing (links anyone?). But it did strike me as odd that Paul kept emphasizing these facts in the audio clip :)

i just watched the last 10 minutes of David's stunt at the following address -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83U_bV37cw4&search=David%20Blaine%20Drowned%20Alive

Having him chained was simply stupid, given the amount of effort needed to break free but this was the only sure way to "explain" a likely failure. I think David trained intensively for several months and when he started, he genuinely hoped to be able to go over 9 minutes, with perfect mental control that he may be capable of. However, from what i read here ( and i read all this thread) he did quite well in training, up to 5, 6 and even 7 minutes just before the stunt - impressive yet not enough. Anybody familiar with freediving will know that from 7 to 9 minutes is way much harder than getting to 7 so it was clear David will never break the record genuinely so they announced, just before the stunt, the chain thing.

As for the attempt iself, i cant wait to see Eric's in depth review - you dont get to see a samba so well filmed and discussed about - we should at least use it to learn as much out of it.

Serge

fcallagy said:
That's a lot of DeeperBlue tshirts rofl

I find all the discussion whether he could have broken the record or not as ridiculous, and do not understand that people do not realize there is no way he could have done the last attempt without breathing oxygen during the last hours before surfacing, otherwise he would had really bad decompression bents or even bone necrosis. For that very reason, he was still pretty well oxygen saturated when he did the apnea and hence could have easily go for a very long time even with the physical effort of removing chains. I do not understand that some people still go on comparing it to a normal apnea, although it is apparent it was an O2 apnea, and it was mentioned here many times.

Apparently Blaine did not train enough the long underwater stay, and underestimated the stress it puts on the organism. If he uses the same way (oxygen saturation), he will certainly achieve his goal at the next attempt without the long underwater stunt. Personally I think the dramatic blackout at the end was calculated in, but I belive they wanted that it happens some 2 minutes later.

Last edited:
So if I breath 12 hours of pure oxygen en then breath normal air for 15 minutes I still profit from the pure oxygen?

We did some o2 testing in the past and it was funny to see that if someone breath for 15 minutes pure oxygen and then went into his static or that he just did 5 breaths and went, it was the same time.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT