• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Prone to trachea squeezes

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Apneaddict

Sep 2, 2010
In an attempt to avoid any future trachea squeezes (spitting up a few specs / small amount of non-frothy blood), I've been doing uddiyana bandha most days, sometimes extending the neck moderately and often do exhale pool dives or tons of bubble-rings to empty lung at -3 to -5m and still sometimes spit a spot or two.

Is there any other exercise to Increase the flexibility of the trachea?

Am I just being too aggressive in my exercises already? It doesn't feel extreme... And I fear I may be prone to them.

I don't have a lot of opportunity to go deep, but want to be ready when I do and don't ways to get a squeeze on day 2 and lose a couple of days thereafter.

Anyone else battle the trache squeeze?

Make sure that you avoid:
- postural mistakes e.g. extending the neck when diving
- forceful equalizations
- freediving with colds or allergies
- medication that might contribute to weakening of the mucosal membrane e.g. decongestant sprays.

Reactions: JohnJDS
I have just come back from a month of training and depth competition, and had some trachea squeeze like symptoms (few flecks of darker blood) but no urge to cough and general perfect health etc.

I put this down to several things:
- too aggressive yoga (passive introflexion and forced - bhanda) combined with some stretches
- try to go too deep too quick (getting back to old PB 3 days after arriving)
- tension
- stupid movements, or combinations of disciplines (CNF/FIM after aggressive negative pulldowns)
- doing preparatory exercises alongside (and copying) 100m divers when my goals where only 60/70

after 2 weeks of suffering, I realized the above, and the problem almost completely went, I hit some great new PB's too, without issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnJDS
For me it's neck movements (looking up & down) that are the main diving culprit.

I think I'm just being too aggressive with stretches / uddiyana Bandha and forced exhale pool dives.

Less is more, I suppose.

I think the secret is a gradual approach. Start soft many months before a depth event and work up. If you make any mistakes you are still home and care and rest is easy. It's a huge mistake to try new ideas after traveling half way around the world to compete.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT