• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Reccomend me some fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

arrowloopboy

Jul 14, 2012
Can anyone reccomend me some decent spearfishing fins as my scubadiving plastic ones are killing my feet.

Cheers, Arrow

I've been using the cressi gara 2000HD for free diving and I like them. Although they are my first fins and I don't spear. They were about $130 and have good reviews. My foot is thin so I got a size smaller and they fit pretty good.

There are alot of good fins out there, and it is hard to advise fins without knowing a bit more, like budget, style of diving and shape of your feet. For example, my feet are about average and some fins like esclapez are to wide around the heels and flop around. on the other extreme, thin foot pockets will cause cramping.
My advise if you are just starting out is to try on some fins and see what feels best. If you are on a tight budget, get fins with interchangable pockets so you can upgrade fin blades to a composite later down the track.
My 2c is that omer stingrays are excellent pockets for medium feet and i have since upgraded to diveR blades but still use the plastic blades if i am diving in shallower water to extend the life of my carbon blades.

Hope all this rambling helps!

With out echoing what has been said before you need to at least have tried on the fins before you buy them, and being able to upgrade them is always an advantage.
I started out with cressi gara pro's and was happpy with them for a fair few years (you can get the LD version is the standard version are too stiff)

Last year I bought some carbon fins for freediving intially as I worried spearing would break them, but after a while started using then, and after a lot of bashing around I am still using them and they are fine.
This may be as they are carbon/fiberglass blades but they are a lot less tiring than my plastic ones, quicker, replaceable blades of varrying stiffness and manourverable. I have the Leader 'Stereofins WAVES Carbon' and dont plan changing any time soon.

dont be put off by me saying that i switch blades when i dont need carbons by any means i have only heard good things about most carbon fins life expectancy. but im a bit of a tightarse to be honest, and at 6' 7" and 116kg im not exactly graceful in getting out of the water :crutch

focus on foot shape. If they afren't comfortable you will pay many times over.
Imersion -fins (green, black ofiberglass or carbon) are for wide feet like mine. Omer Millenium and Dessault footpockets work well for medium feet, and the Cressi and Beuchat are for narrow feet.
In addition, some are higher across the arch than others. I had a pair of Spetton footpockets that I couldn't wear. They have a heavy band across the arch that is too low for me. Quite painful.
Dessault Omer and Imersion all have high arches.
(all by personal experience- others may ahve different experiences)

Also, will you be wearing booties (not good, since they have a thick sole), neoprene socks, or barefoot? More neoprene means a wider and higher footpocket.

As for stiffness, you will need to think about how fit you are and what you want to do.
I use medium or soft blades, as they are much better for long surface swims. I've never had a problem getting back from 30-40 m with soft Imersion E-carbons or medium fiberglass blades in Dessault footpockets. Lots of divers like stiff blades, since they feel more powerful. Build and conditioning play a role. Bigger and heavier divers can use stiffer blades without problem.

And definitely try on some fins if you can. Some will just feel better than others, especially in the water.

Reactions: Doc Bass
Hi Arrow I known its a trek but if you are in Sligo you can try on the Imersion green in all sizes and with the proper socks. I have the black as well but only in small and the carbons but only in big. The greens take a lot of abuse in the school and all are good so far so plastic stress lines on one or two from standing/leaning on them in the pool but nothing serious. See if you can make it on the 18th and there might be a second hand pair from someone else as well but at least you can try them out.

May I ask?... are the footpockets on the Imersion E:Black / E:Green fins detachable? I am still new to freediving. I recently was able to get slightly used Leaderfins Alga blades from a friend who sold them to me at at a low price... the problem is that I dont have any footpockets... was planning to get the Imersion fins if their footpockets are detachable from the plastic blades. Please advise.

I don't think so. They DO sell separate footpockets, but the ones on the plastic blades are not removable.

Consider Pathos footpockets to wake up any blade. Super light and great power transfer.

We also sell our own footpockets for a very competitive price.

http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mcffp.htm

MCFFP-2.jpg

I don't think so. They DO sell separate footpockets, but the ones on the plastic blades are not removable.

Consider Pathos footpockets to wake up any blade. Super light and great power transfer.

I've heard a lot of positive feedbacks about the Pathos footpockets being the lightest in the market... Any suggestion sir as to where I can find the cheapest/most affordable Pathos footpockets?

No idea. Shipping to your geographic location may be the biggest factor re: price to you.

I've heard that the Makos are comfortable, but have no experience with them personally to comment beyond that.

We can supply pathos foot pockets for £65 plus shipping - we have both soft and standard models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumbs up for phatos! Totally transformed the performance of my leaderfin algae blades. And a big pluss is you can shape them abit with heat for a better fit.

Allow me to ask another noob question here... has anyone ever tried or ever heard about drilling holes on their pathos footpockets? I mean attaching the blades using screws instead of gluing them to the footpockets? Just wondering if its possible

I don't think that would be possible,the tendrils are very narrow,so it will be hard to get them to stay on the fin without glue.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT