• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rob Allen Spears Compatability

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

LondonPoleSpear

Terminator
Jan 27, 2013
I was wondering if you can use any spear with the Rob Allen's? I understand the actual RA ones are so much better and all that but budget cant really let me buy a spare one considering they are £30 more than the average Tahitian. So they say to buy the RA spears but how much is this just for money/could I use any tahitian?
Thanks,
Mike

RA spears rust so bad!!
I have a cressi spear in my RA and it is fine.

Agree my RA spear rusted within six months! Have beauchat, Cressi and Picasso spears upto 6 years old all still mint!!

They do rust because they are not stainless steel, but spring steel instead.
Just remove the rust with some sandpaper and it will be just fine.
Besides, spring steel can sustain heavier damage than stainless steel
Yep higher tensile strength than any grade of SS.

Reactions: scallywag
My oldest RA shafts are still fine after 14 years. I rinse them off after use and let them dry. No problem.
Definitely do not sand off any rust that shows up. You will be removing the zinc coating that protects them from rusting.
Because they are a very high quality spring steel, they are definitely better at not bending when abused than any stainless.

My oldest RA shafts are still fine after 14 years. I rinse them off after use and let them dry. No problem.
Definitely do not sand off any rust that shows up. You will be removing the zinc coating that protects them from rusting.
Because they are a very high quality spring steel, they are definitely better at not bending when abused than any stainless.

Yup - clean them and put a light coating of oil - I keep an oil rag and just wipe them down. No problems for me here is SA. Bullet proof spears and much stronger as has been mentioned...

Yup - clean them and put a light coating of oil - I keep an oil rag and just wipe them down.
What kind of oil do you use? I have the Trident food grade silicone as well as standard WD40.

To answer OP, yes the RA are much stiffer and stronger but it depends on your hunting. If you don't get to shoot fish above 5kg then a SS spear will do you just fine. Fish bigger than this stand a pretty good chance of turning that lovely stainless spear into a pretzel!
Pro tip - when that big catch does eventually bend your SS spear beyond repair, take it to a metal shop and have them make a hoop stringer out of it. Grind out the barb, use the top 6" to make a DIY belt stringer with some SS cable and the rest will be enough to make a solid hoop stringer.

What kind of oil do you use? I have the Trident food grade silicone as well as standard WD40.

To answer OP, yes the RA are much stiffer and stronger but it depends on your hunting. If you don't get to shoot fish above 5kg then a SS spear will do you just fine. Fish bigger than this stand a pretty good chance of turning that lovely stainless spear into a pretzel!
Pro tip - when that big catch does eventually bend your SS spear beyond repair, take it to a metal shop and have them make a hoop stringer out of it. Grind out the barb, use the top 6" to make a DIY belt stringer with some SS cable and the rest will be enough to make a solid hoop stringer.

I use a specialty spinning reel oil/lube - actually use the rag I clean the excess oil off the reel. Only needs a very light coat that you can barely feel - i.e. polish it with the rag. WD40 and any outboard lube/protection oil would do fine. Priority is to wash off with fresh water, dry and then give it a wipe down with an oily rag leaving a thin 'polished' coat.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT