• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing/clarity report 2011

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Theres a beach right next to kenosha harbor and I know theres a lot of hotels nearby but I would question the "night life" real close because at least takin hwy 50 in the area looks a tad sketchy. If it were me I would stay closer to lake geneva. Just my uneducated opinion.

I will be at the end of the channel in Kenosha between a 8 and 9... hopefully will see someone there. Trevor said he was probably coming, haven't heard back from anyone else.

Came up to Kenosha, waves are going over the breakwall and water looks like chocolate milk... didn't even bother getting in the water.

I think things are not looking good for a trip this weekend. Can't find a room that is nearby bad visibility. Don't know how often you go by Kenosha harborr but if you get some news about clarity around Thursday let me know. Even with good visibility not having a room nearby means 5 or 6 hours in the car as well as dive all on a Sunday. Don't think I am going to do that but who knows I've done these kind of trips dozen of times.

I won't be diving for the next 3 weekends, got other plans. I'm going to see if I can get weather reports from a contact of mine prior to me making a 2-3 hr roundtrip drive to see huge waves and look at choclate milk like water. It was a crazy day on Lake Michigan though, haven't seen waves that big before.

On the bright side of things I received confirmation from FII that my brother and I will be doing a day (Nov 12th) of the camp in Kona this year... It'd be nice to do more, but we will have a couple non-freedivers with us and want to hit up different dive spots (of course do lots of spearfishing)...

Thinking I should just wait for colder weather and not torture myself. Weather has been hot algea seems to be heavier sooner and dive clarity has been short lived and sporadic. To hard to put it together with 3 to 4 hour drive. Not going to make plans in earnest till late october. Unless my dollars worth of hope comes to fruition, lottery.

Speared Green Lake with a few friends on Sunday. Vis was pretty good ~12'-15'. We shot a mess of rock bass and quite a few carp.

Chris

I just got back from a week of camping/diving up in Vilas county. Water was around 72F - 75F depending upon the lake and vis ranged from 10' to 20'.

Jon

Attachments

• summer camping 8-11 394.jpg
    summer camping 8-11 394.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 222
  • summer camping 8-11 405.jpg
    summer camping 8-11 405.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 221
  • summer camping 8-11 419.jpg
    summer camping 8-11 419.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 221
  • summer camping 8-11 452.jpg
    summer camping 8-11 452.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 240
  • summer camping 8-11 458.jpg
    summer camping 8-11 458.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 227
Reactions: foxfish
Speared the Montello and Fox River in Montello the other day. Vis was 7'-8' and it was again a success with the pole spears although cold lol

Attachments

• DSCN2035.jpg
    DSCN2035.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN2034.jpg
    DSCN2034.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 230
Went to Lake Geneva yesterday with my brother and another pal. Up to 10' of visibility. It rained all day and that keep most all the boaters off the lake. Nice to see a Labor Day weekend with such little traffic.

We speared a mixed bag of Bluegills, Perch and Rock Bass. Equipment used was my brothers Mako, Ronnie's Mini-Sten and my JBL pole spear. I felt no disadvantage using the pole spear and had numerous shot opportunities.

We all saw huge amounts of Large Mouth Bass, for the most part they were very curious and would let you approach very closely and even let me touch a couple them.

Here's a change I made to the JBL. It worked out well and I now have a spear with the capability to easily change the bands and it now has positive buoyancy because no water can get into the tube.

DSCN1902.jpg

DSCN1918.jpg

Shoot straight,

rudyc

The Mako is my brother's and he likes it, it's a 2 band 60cm, the shortest they make. He has been using just one band and is happy with the results. Shot through a couple of decent sized ( 5-8#s) Dogfish with it.

rudyc

I like my 70 cm Mako with single 20mm band and the guys there take care of their customers, they have an unconditional three year warantee and a free loaner program for veterans who want to try spearfishing. not to mention low prices.

Anyone interested in diving this weekend? I might be building blinds and/or teal hunting, but wouldn't mind diving if someone else is interested...

Chris

My buddy just got geared up, so we did some freediving at deep lake in Illinois (no spearing). The lake has tons of weeds, but the visibility was pretty good 10ft or so. Saw tons of HUGE bass, and a ton of panfish (the whole time I was wishing I was in Wisconsin).

In other news, my brother and his buddy just took the FII level 1 class on the big Island of Hawaii. Can't wait to get out there for diving and spearfishing...

If anyone wants to get a dive in let me know, see if we can make our schedules mesh. I'm sure a lot of you will be waterfowl hunting, I know I will be.

Regards,
Chris

Good luck drop'n ducks dude! Me diving will be Day-before notice. Lakes in Wisconsin should start clearing up soon.

IF any of you Lake Michigan people see the vis is good and the Salmon are running - PLEASE POST! would love to do some diving with them and get some good footage.

Dive Safe!

Did you order the flat lense fix? I'm took some video last weekend, haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

We are going to mount the camera to a shotgun for duck hunting using the mako mount with some extra rubber inside.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT