• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Trachea Squeeze

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

x_yeti

Jan 1, 2006
Hi All

I'm having issues with trachea squeezes. Besides tucking my chin in and relaxing during freefall, what can I do to prevent it?

Thanks in advance!

Stretch, streatch.

Exhale, negpack, suck ur belly out, look up. More negpacks more stretch.

BUT BE CAREFUL, DO IT WITH BABY STEPS.

relaxation? equalization? If you train very slowly, head up, negative dives, just a few CM advance at at time, on a rope that may accelerate the acclimatization.

Good luck

x-yeti, why did you post this in "science" subforum? - no criticism, just interesting to me. it may be good for something else than pleasing my curiousnesss to think about this question.
can you write a little about the dives on which you don´t squeeze at all?

Stretch, streatch.

Exhale, negpack, suck ur belly out, look up. More negpacks more stretch.

how do you know this helps?
why do you think this helps? would be nice if you try an answer and avoid the word "flexibility", because i don´t know what it means.

I had the exact same problem. The stretching above solved it for me.

I had the exact same problem. The stretching above solved it for me.

cool! can you write (a little) more? what was the difference for you, when comparing dives before and after?
by the way: after what actually?
did you do the mentioned exercises as a warm up, or as a structured training period or...

x-yeti, why did you post this in "science" subforum? - no criticism, just interesting to me. it may be good for something else than pleasing my curiousnesss to think about this question.
can you write a little about the dives on which you don´t squeeze at all?

how do you know this helps?
why do you think this helps? would be nice if you try an answer and avoid the word "flexibility", because i don´t know what it means.

LOL, Andreas, clearly your questions go beyond what most are looking for here, namely the 'how'.

At this moment I don't feel the need to go deeper than the dictionary explanation of the word "flexibility".

I'm pleased to see you're here posting and am looking forward to another Skype catch up talk.

On the Trachea, though I've been to 65m, I did not give it much attention. Only one or two times I've had a small blood vessel burst on stressful dives resulting in a small spec of bright blood when one forces coughing into the hand.
So 'm learning here, thanks for the idea's.

As a generality I feel that if you use pressure to stretch, try to avoid added stress by contractions or voluntary movements. I think slow negative dives, with long - but no contractions - bottom times. If I would like to use muscle to stretch, then it would be shallower and very careful applying a smooth building up pressure. (avoiding any jerks or shocks)

Kars

Reactions: JohnJDS
Thanks Giobbi. I've been doing the stretches from F. Mana's books, but they don't target the trachea specifically. I'll try your exercise. Thanks!

Esom, I was hoping for more scientific feedback on things to avoid in the diet, alcohol possibly or maybe something about colds, congestion, post-nasal drip etc. Also maybe genetic predisposition, long vs short necks, the change in movements of the throat during final stages of mouthfill i.e. usng the tongue as a piston etc. Basically any kind of science :) Re: my own dives. I'm experiencing trachea squeezes on dives deeper than 60m using mouthfill for equalization and wearing a mask.

Last edited:
do You have to pinch nose while wearing mask in order to eq that deep? If so, try switching to nose clip, it will help You with relaxation thus maybe it will solve Your problem.

Hey Matt, yeah I tried switching to the noseclip, but I get such a strong dive response that by the time I want to do the mouthfill at 22-25m, I already have contractions and keep swallowing it. With the mask I only get contractions maybe 30m before surfacing on a 60m dive. I spent almost 1 month trying to get used to the noseclip but failed :( I still have 1 more trick to try; using the sphera without the nose piece and a noseclip. Will see if it works.

Using the sphera without the nose piece will take u to max 25 if you have it really loose on the surface. I got some broken blood vessels at -17 with this pattern.

Maybe u should try a pipe mask..?

Using the sphera without the nose piece will take u to max 25 if you have it really loose on the surface. I got some broken blood vessels at -17 with this pattern.

Maybe u should try a pipe mask..?

No, I meant a flooded one. I've been told that the sensation of a mask filled with water is different to the sensation of a face fully exposed to water 'passing by'. I'll try it soon and let you know if it works.

I had problems with swallowing mouthfill due to termoclines in Greece. I found out that it was problem with relaxation while entering them, few visualisations and it went away.
If I were You, I would reconsider, are You really 100% relaxed?
Frankly said, I used to think that all this talking about relaxation etc. it's over estimated. However, the more I dive in the sea, the more I realised that it's actually all about relaxation. Short moment of deconcentration or tension and mouthfill goes to Your stomach/lungs. (or in Your case, can cause trachea sq)

cheers,

Reactions: James Parker
If I were You, I would reconsider, are You really 100% relaxed?

Good question. I feel relaxed, but there is always the chance that I am tensing up somewhere on my turns and not realising it. I think I'll gopro myself and check.

Diving with the sphera mask without nose piece is not for vision. The theory behind it, as I have been told, is that the mask covers more of the nerves under the eyes and on the upper cheeks. Even though it is flooded with water, it provides a different sensation than a face fully exposed to moving water. Again, I haven't tried it yet, but will do so soon and then I'll be able to confirm whether it works or not.

Hi,
It can take more than 1 month to feel realy comfortable with the nose clip. as you said there is big difference with mask full of water or without a mask.
Its mainly to get used to it. im so used to noseclip only with the feeling of the water touching my face that anything on my face irritate me.
Give it more time with noseclip and get used to it.

If you have problems with thermoclines ( cold water, below 10 Celcius) flooded mask definitively helps.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT