• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

VTO Excercises

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JPPLAY

Student Spearfisherman
Apr 7, 2005
Does anyone have a list of VTO exercises or links to pages in English of them?

Do you mean the German XXX TV channel VTO (Video Teresa Orlowski), or rather Voltage Tuned Oscillator (that's what Google shows for "define:VTO")? Or perhaps Vocational Training Order (another VTO definition found in Google)? In the first case, the exercise you are performing on your avatar may be useful, and I could certainly send you a bunch of interesting links, but in the remaining cases I am quite confused. The term VTO does not bring anything familiar in freediving sport, as far as I can imagine.

BTV? - hands free equalising?

Trux, feel free to post your links anyway :D

... VTO - Voluntary Tubal Opening

www.apnea.co.il said:

The BTV (VTO) Maneuver

Stands for 'Beance Tubaire Volontaire'. In the 1950's the French navy developed a technique for middle ear equalization called 'Voluntary Tubal Opening'. This technique is difficult to teach and only approximately 30% of taught can perform it reliably. Muscles of the soft palate are contracted while upper throat muscles are employed to pull the Eustachian tube open. This technique is similar to the events that happen in the back of your throat at the end of a yawn. It is also similar to wiggling your ears and some people seem to be born with the talent.

[ I.F.A - Freediving In Israel - Education ]
VTO (BTV) Manual - http://eng.apnea.co.il/edu/btv_eng.doc

~ Snuf

Last edited:
Reactions: JPPLAY and trux
Does anyone here use this method? What does it feel like if you do it right (out of water)?

If those exercises are anything to go by then learning this method is going to be quite a journey. Yawning is such a good feeling. Not as good as a sneeze but still good.:)

i can do VTO sitting in the comfort of my own home ;) but it goes to hell in the ocean and I return to my awful pinches and squeaks..

thanks for the manual, go job, i'll see if I can get it to work "wet"

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT