• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

1 piece of advice ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bluecape

Apr 21, 2003
Hi All

What one, single piece of advice, comment, observation etc has had the biggest influence on your 'breath-hold' journey.

I have had a very modest dry-static PB, as a spearo I do'nt really get too technical about training, but have been sitting on 3 min 35 sec for a while, having worked slowly up from 3 minutes.

But yesterday...I read a comment in a magazine from Tanya Streeter, which really made an impression on me. Last night I did 2 consecutive dry-statics of 4 Min 30, and felt good on both, as if I could have continued.

The comment, which I honestly believe has taken me to a new level overnight in freediving...and I quote Tanya Streeter..

" It's important to be able to tell the difference between 'needing' to breathe, and 'wanting' to breathe..."

Cheers

Jeff

;)

Reactions: Memo
similar comment...

it's important to be able to tell the difference between confidence and over-confidence in freediving.

confidence is good. overconfidence is very bad... :)

Reactions: Memo
Focus on learning and the rest will follow naturally.

Love, peace and water!
Carlos

As a newbie (and generally impatient person :duh), a few words of advice I have:

-be patient with expanding your limits (hardest thing for me)
-be willing to listen to advice of others, but know that everything you hear is not gospel...what works for one person may not for another
-be willing to listen to what your body is telling you
-last but not least, always, ALWAYS have fun, otherwise, why do it?

Cheers! :D

Relax, but know when to fight. There's a moment towards the end of my static when the relaxation phase is over and it's a mental game for me. I really need to fight with myself to stick with it and not come up earlier than I NEED to.

Jason

Best piece of advice?

"Search the forums before posting" ;)

Heh, sorry couldn't help myself. On a serious note, I don't mind seeing the same topics repeat, at least it keeps the discussion alive...But you might want to check that link out ;)

My actual contribution would be:
"Try not to focus on a specific goal". Meaning, if you decide to do 100m and feel wrong already at 75m, it is much easier to push your self over the limit if you already decided on the 100m and keep too focused on that. Tried it, blacked out, didn't like it.

That doesn't mean don't push your limit, just that do it in a reasonable time when you truly feel comfortable at your old limit and with proper safety.

Last edited:
Hey Jason, I'm happy to tell you jou can do the endphase with a lot less 'fighting' or even without fighting. Just start being a observer of yourself, notice the senses but leave emotions out of the pool.

And Jason, you're all to right! I've made that mistake more then once, thanks for remembering me!

Calos.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT