• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

17 Year Old Kid Critical

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shaneshac

FIN TRASHER
Oct 8, 2002
Sunday afternoon the police and rescue boatswere called out as a 17 year old spearo had not resurfaced. His dad was alone in the boat and had taken the kid to one of Gibraltars outer reefs.

Upon the call out the polica made a call to any divers out in the bay to help. A group of RAF divers who were out on a pleasure dive were quickly at the scene and recovered the body from 14m depth. The body had been under for about 20 minutes and after an hour of CPR the heart statred pumping. The kid has been on life support and it was confirmed this morning that there is no brain activity :(

He is undergoing one last series of tests and will be taken off the ventilator if results are the same.

The kid was an inexperienced spearo diving in a very dangerous reef with drop-offs to over 30-35m. He was taken there by his dad at the end of a full mornings spearing session. The father had no means of locating the body as no surface marker bouy was being used.

The water in gib is currently really cold and murky which will add to the stress when diving anywhere under 5m as the surface is not visible.

Please lets make sure we do not overestimate our capabailities and keep ourseles well inside our safe parameters.

hi

is no brain activity

He is undergoing one last series of tests and will be taken off the ventilator if results are the same.

something similar happen to a guy that I went to visit at the hospital -- there was not brain activity and the doctor wanted to take off the ventilater-- this guy didn't have not family in USA-

and one friend that he had tell me to go there and pray for this guy--

so I went to the hospital beleliving God will do something-- so I talk to him in his ear- asking him to acept Jesus in his heart-- after that I could see "Lagrimas" running out of his eye

the next day I had a dream I saw this guy in heaven with his hand lifed up - and was testifyin to all his family --- the same day I call to the hospital and the guy was gone - the doctor took the ventilarer out of him

but in my heart I was so sure this guy was safe and in God's hand--

nothing is imposible for God- He will made everything new

just a testimony

I will pray for this kid

Daniel.

That is so sad and it was only a few days ago I asked "Why do divers and freedivers drown"
As being relatively new to spearfishing I have to ask myself "is it all worth it" just for a free fish dinner, I will be seriously be looking at why I do it as I'm not ready to die just yet.
My prayers will be for his soul and his family.
YakDiver

Originally posted by YakDiver
That is so sad and it was only a few days ago I asked "Why do divers and freedivers drown"
As being relatively new to spearfishing I have to ask myself "is it all worth it" just for a free fish dinner, I will be seriously be looking at why I do it as I'm not ready to die just yet.
My prayers will be for his soul and his family.
YakDiver

Its not about free fish dinner, its about feelings when you enter water, when you dive down, when you shot fish and bring it to the surface, even when you clean it and eat it. Personally i don't like the taste of the "buyed" fish not because of the meat but knowing that i get that fish by myself makes it more delicious for me. I feel the same feelings from the first day i entered the water. If you don't feel it at all, even at the beginnig its not worth to risk your life.

by the way sorry for the kid, its even worst when they are that young.:waterwork

That is a sad story.....we as spearos would like this things to never happen.
Its hard to say what happened, but as Shaca said, we should not overestimate our capabilities, and never force deep dives AFTER a spearing day. This is the most risky, being tired even if we barely notice it, and then going diving deep again.....not a good combination.

RCC

Maybe I was wrong when I said the "free dinner" all my life I have been sea fishing, later in life I took up carp and pike freshwater fishing in the UK we do not kill these fish, catch them photograph them and put them back to live another day.
I took up snorkelling just to see were these fish live to enter there world to be like them for a moment in time to be weightless like an astronaut.
The killing instant came to light when I first saw my first Bass, I could see it before anyone had touched it before a hook or a spear had torn it's flesh to see flat fish hiding in the sand instead of in a fish market, this is why I took up the sport .............but not to die doing it.
All sports have there own dangers, some more than others, but I will have to see where I go on from now, I think I have become more protected about myself over the last few days, Monday last I buried a friend from church that die from cancer, a few days earlier I signed up to do a funnel plan so my family would not have to worry when I die, another diver was taken by a shark attack and now this one maybe it has been too much for me to take in, in just a few days, but I still will have to see were I go on from here.
YakDiver

actually the risk is not the sea but our brains, feelings and instincts itself. The defend and security also in our brains. We HAVE TO able to say "let it go, or its to deep for right now to dive" when we see the big fish in deep or when the grouper stuck in the cave that moment you start to think about the fish more than your life...so you see, its a controversy between your instincts and brain, at that moment you should choose the right choice to be live or to return home more happy:hmm

my 2 TLs :D

Ive been diving in one form or another for nearly 30 years now and I certainly wouldnt be doing it if I considered myself at risk. When I started diving there were some dodgy practices going on and the UK diving body the BSAC was doing its best to rectify that at the time, I had safety drummed into me big time when I was being taught, as well as when I did my instructor training; the bottom line is, your saftey is nearly always going to be in your own hands. I know many will disagree with me, Ive said this before and always get shot down for it but I really belive it! Dont push your luck! No parent needs to loose a child.
May God help his parents through this time

Unfortunately the kid was pronounced dead yesterday evening and will be buried today.

Let us hope this is another lesson for all of us. Better be safe than sorry and to take all the precautions you feel necessary however mundane or stupid they sound at the time.

Originally posted by Murat
Its not about free fish dinner, its about feelings when you enter water, when you dive down, when you shot fish and bring it to the surface, even when you clean it and eat it. Personally i don't like the taste of the "buyed" fish not because of the meat but knowing that i get that fish by myself makes it more delicious for me. I feel the same feelings from the first day i entered the water. If you don't feel it at all, even at the beginnig its not worth to risk your life.

Murat,

I agree with your statement. I have not purchased a fish at a market in over two years.

Seems like freedivers are dropping off quite often lately. And these are the ones we know about. This is an extreme sport we should never take for granted. The father will have to live with his mistake for the rest of his life. May the kid RIP and I hope the family can come together and get through this tragedy.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT