• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

1984 wood gun reseal

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Don Paul

Oct 14, 2009
I'm going to be completing the resealing of a gun I built in 1984 called Tiputa next week.
Here are some images to get started. Story later....
To be cont.
Cheers Don
Attached Images
1983d1273806582-old-gun-tiputa-tiputa-reel.jpg
1985d1273806641-old-gun-tiputa-white-sea-bass-earbone-line-ramp.jpg
1986d1273806658-old-gun-tiputa-tiputa-track.jpg
1987d1273806849-old-gun-tiputa-tiputa-ti-guide.jpg

progress.gif

I have an addict gun that I built way back when and I'd be interested in the details and the reseal process. We had a 20-25# Ono join us diving the ropes today and my trigger finger got nervous.

I have an addict gun that I built way back when and I'd be interested in the details and the reseal process. We had a 20-25# Ono join us diving the ropes today and my trigger finger got nervous.

Hi Bill, Your gun is a piece of history that most likely should be left as is, or if necessary (still putting Ono on the table) refinished with marine varnish or shellac. Like any fine antique, a complete strip and refinish will remove all the patina, battle scars and history. I wish I had a buck for every time I studied the Addict Gun plan in Skin Diver Magazine when I was a kid in Conn. The members of the Addict Club were the some of the first Blue Waters Hunters in the early fifty's.

My gun Tiputa ( named for the atoll pass in Rangiroia which it was once lost) has many scars; dye from long spine urchins, dings from panga rides, and big surf entry's. The gun was the one I used in the filming of Laszlo Pal's and Terry Mass's Blue Water Hunters in 1988.

I sealed the gun in 1984 with two part epoxy. I plan on a light prep with 120 open paper for good tooth, followed by 4 to 5 hand sanded coats of Phil Herranen epoxy. All patina, on metal parts, water stains, sun bleaching and urchin dye shall
remain under the fresh top coat.

Mahalo, Don Paul

Last edited:
Pretty cool! Hey Don Paul... what are the specs for that gun? I like the abalone inlay on the side, gun has some serious character!

cool gun. what kind of mech is in it? how big spear/what kind of spear does it shoot? i got a really old handmade gun on my wall in my living room. it is all scratched and gouged in spots. but it looks cooler that way. i would never take it in the water anyway. are you planning on using that gun again? actuall i just looked up the "addict gun" and thats exactly what i have. that's cool, i have always wondered what it was.i bought it from a guy who found it in his attic when he bought an old house. he didnt know anything about it. i got it for 12 lobster tails.

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Paul
cool gun. what kind of mech is in it? how big spear/what kind of spear does it shoot? i got a really old handmade gun on my wall in my living room. it is all scratched and gouged in spots. but it looks cooler that way. i would never take it in the water anyway. are you planning on using that gun again? actuall i just looked up the "addict gun" and thats exactly what i have. that's cool, i have always wondered what it was.i bought it from a guy who found it in his attic when he bought an old house. he didnt know anything about it. i got it for 12 lobster tails.

Thanks guys,this is from a earlier post....more detail later.
#5 Tiputa, a 58'' laminated mahogany barrel, maple,birch and white oak handle keyed to barrel,hand milled 17/4 sear.
6061T6 gold reels with 500# kevlar.muzzle Ti inner plate and open muzzle line hook.When I built this gun in
1984 to replace a lost gun, it had a enclosed track I later milled off after pool tests,has inlay.

Gun has a poured Teflon and graphite deep rail, made with West Systems epoxy.
Can be set up to shoot 9/32 to 3/8 shafts with 2 to 3 5/8 bands. Has 3 different
weight hand fabricated 6061 T6 reel spools to change mass, cut from billet. The lightest one has mahogany and epoxy end plates. I'll go into detail at the end of the project.
Cheers, Don Paul

Last edited:
26 years of of a hard duty cycle in the sea.
Image 1.Modified Under brass plate with a hand made auto reset line latch.The gun butt is vintage Scuba Pro, first used on their 48'' and 36'' metal gun then later on the Panther. I use these on my 3 go-to customs.

Attached Images
2012d1273980288-old-gun-tiputa-mech-pocket.jpg
2013d1273980343-old-gun-tiputa-real-mount-wsb-ear-bone-line-ramp.jpg
Image 2 shows the 1/4'' 17/ 4 heat treated reel axle which is rectangular and key into the wood. It also provides a graphite coated shaft guide.The White object is a ear bone from my first White Sea Bass, it is set and bonded into the wood to provide a line ramp that keeps the line from snagging under the reel.
Image 3. shows the fabricated adjustable drag and fiber washers, along with the Teflon/graphite/epoxy open track pads.
2014d1273980380-old-gun-tiputa-real-mount.jpg
2015d1273980464-old-gun-tiputa-auto-return-spring-line-latch.jpg
Heavy patina that I am leaving as is.
2016d1273980498-old-gun-tiputa-img_1590.jpg

Image 4. Close up of the deep graphite/Teflon rail and guide slot.

Last edited:
Good to see something made to last, well used and cared about enough to be restored. ;)

How Tiputa got it's name.

One night During the filming of Blue Water Hunters on Rangiroa Atoll, the producer Laszlo Pal, cinematographer, Rick Rossenthal, Terry Mass and I sat enjoying our evening dinner.
The day had been a long one full of edgy bait induced Grey Reef shark frenzy's one of which almost cost the head of our french safety diver, as a huge Silver Tip drilled down from above. ( another story)

Terry and I wanted to do a reenactment of a SWBO suffered by a close friend of ours where Terry saved his life. If I remember correctly Lazlo was doubtful I could do it in a cost effective way as we were burning film. I assured him I could ;
Freedive down to 90 + feet, swim back toward the surface, act a blackout/samba at 20' where my gun fires.
Sink limp, back down dropping my gun to the 98' bottom, while...... Terry spots me from the surface, then dives to me, drops my wt belt and brings my limp out of air body to the surface for a revival attempt.

'' Sure Lazslo.... I can do that in one take''
crazy.gif
'' I don't think'' so cautions Rick and Terry
nono.gif
, I can shoot it on scuba but I don't like the risk.

''Look...Terry and I are very deep divers, no worries mate.... I can do this'' I reply.

''How are you going to equalize on the unconscious reenactment drop toward the bottom ? you can't use your hand to pinch your nose'' asks Terry.

''Don't worry about it..I'll work it out..... I'll get a nose clip and put it under my mask....no Problem mate''.

''But do you have one ? asks Rick.....
''Sure do''.... I slide a spoon from the table and start bending the handle until it breaks off.Later back in my houch I form the soft metal into a nice little clip to wear under my mask.
cool2.gif

I awake at 5 AM to Rick knocking at the door,'' Hey Don, bring the cool looking hand made gun for the shoot''

'' No way I'm dropping it to the bottem with all these Grey dogs to chew it up...No way, I want Double Trouble , I have a power head for the bottom shaft in my pocket if it gets too sporty.''

" Look Don, I'll watch the gun after you drop it, I'll swim down and grab it as soon as the camera stops.'' '' All that pretty wood will stick out like a sore thumb buddy''.
To be Cont.....
wink1.gif

Don Paul
Attached Images
2083d1274932408-old-gun-tiputa-rangi.jpg

user_online.gif
progress.gif

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT