• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2:30 =>5:00 in 5 days! (with MT Solomons in La Paz)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Indy

Mar 17, 2004
Hi freedivers,

I'm writing to share my experience in LaPaz, Mexico last week. I had instruction of MT(Maria-Teresa) Solomons for 5 days and made big improvement on my diving ability. 2:30 was raised to 5:00 in just 5 days!! Actually I myself still cannot believe this, but I did...

I was not a freediver, but just had been interested in freediving. Since my country, Japan is like a big island, I had opportunities to do some freedive spearfishing several times a year. With 20 yeras experience, my breathholding was 2:30 before course. I'm 30 yrs old, so I had thought this would my maximum. I decided to take their course just to have some new experience. Yes, i was thinking that it would be like just one of events besides scuba-diving in resort. But actually, i had unbeliebalble and unforgettable experience...

First 2 days was pool training. I learnt many kinds of Yoga breathing, relaxing techniques, fin-works, some stretching methos which makes your body ready for diving, and so on. The most impressive thing for me was that their instructions was really scientific, theoritic and practical! (you can see in detail at www.freedivers.net)
At the time I finish this 2 days training, my static was raised to 3:30.

We moved to their training camp near LaPaz on 3rd day. That was nice place for training, but also fantastic place for outdoors!! There no electricity, light, internet connection, but had a lot lot lot lo---t of starts in sky at night and beautiful sunset... Solomonsexpressed the place as "Very very special place". I totally agreed!!

3 days training was on ocean. We went offshore with their boat for practice. Because I knew nothing about freediving, she showed me all different freediving. I could try most of them with her perfect safety secure. Thanks!! At ocean training, i could get down to -30m. I had never been to there, so I was a little bit scared to know the feeing of "fall" and water pressure there. Anyway, my training ocean ended with this result. I was totally satisfied with this result at that moment. But there was more...
We went to small island near camp to dive with sealions! They are so curious that some of them came cose to us and gave us a kind of signal with bubbles. I replyed them with my bubble rings! I guess they enjoed the diving with human-being, too.(^_^)v

After coming back to LaPaz, she gave me an opportunity to measure my PB at swimming pool. The result was 5 minutes!! All i could say when i saw my watch was just "wow..." and "really???".

Flying to LaPaz is just around $230 from LA at this site. (www.gatewaylax.com) and accomodation in LaPaz is around $15/night, private room. I really recommend to have their course based on my own experience.

I think i will start freediving seriously. This is a fantastic sport!

Reactions: DeepThought
I have to agree. They know a lot and give a good cource.

What I specially liked was that it was not a rigid predetermined course. They look at what you are capable of and what you want (and need) to learn and make a program of that. No mass tourism but small groups so there is a lot of personal attetion.

The camp outside La Paz is a very nice place ad there is lots to see like the seals and lots of other creatures.

wow man, kudos on doubling your pb, amazing stuff, i am now at around 3m20s and i hope by the end of the summer to reach 5m, now how on earth you did that in 5days, i dont know, hats off to you man, amazing is all i can say, now, is there any way they can sorta send me the material the use to me?

just found their website, seems awsome, they do say that they visit europe sometimes, i would think they would be either in greece or in israel, so in either case i should be able to spend some time with them :)

Last edited:
They often go to Euro

I heard they often go to Euro to have their coursed to Euro teams. I think you can e-mail to them if you are interested via their site.

Dive safe!

i did mate, greece is where i will be, so if they do go to any of the island it will be cheap as chips, israel will need a plane and something else other than just a tent, but hey, im up for anything :D

Greece!

Greece!
That is one of the countries I really wishing to go somtime. I heard the design of town is traditional, and beautiful. The color of ocean is blue and the scene is beyound description...
I envy you!!

Sea of Japan is similar the sea around LA. (no kelp though) Cold and rough, visibility is not so good. In short, very tough ocean.

If you have certain numbers, i think you can invite Solomons for only your team.

Oh,,i'm like their spokesman.(^_^))

Dive safe!

Hey Pyro, if you come around to Israel, give me a PM.

Indy: Don't you have better conditions in the southern Islands of Japan?

Okinawa

Yeah, I guess you are saying about Okinawa. Unfortunately, I've never been to there. As far as I know that is a great place for spearfishing, but a lot of sharks. The ocean there is like caribian, i heard.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT