• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2 Mini Pneumatics from the 80's

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Stamatis

Aug 29, 2017
I found these in my father's closet! He got them both from a port in Italy in the mid-80's. The short one is a Seac. The longer one is undefined. It has feature of easy handle detachment. You push forward the white safety (on top) and turn the barrel to release it (something broken there). It also has a power regulator on the muzzle, and a sheath for strapping it on the leg. We used to dry fire them at an olive tre e:angelic:. I thought you pneumatic maniacs might like them!:woot:
Mini_Pneumatics_80's.jpg

I believe that i can find gaskets for the Seac, but what about the other one, any ideas?

Is it a GSD? Popgun Pete probably knows but he hasn't been here for a while. You can try sending him a private message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stamatis
Is it a GSD? Popgun Pete probably knows but he hasn't been here for a while. You can try sending him a private message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It could be. It has some small engraved capital letters, but I don't rememder them now....and I sure Pete will reply sooner or later!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Diving Gecko
Hey, I have a question related to the bigger gun that's in that pic. It came with a very primitive watch-resembling depth gauge. I remember used to wear it on my wrist. All I remember is that it had a small transparent tube, and the position or the air bubble trapped in there would move according to depth. Anyone remembers that? I wonder if it was even roughly accurate. It was Italian made, 'cause it came with the accessories of the gun.

I think it looked something like this.
https://www.eurodiveshop.com/media/...f78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/3/a3m160.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if the Asso has a spear tang similar to Salvimar's or Mare's? I have 3 spears with 2 different tangs (shaft tails). One that looks lie the Mres and the other ends in a small ball. I am not sure which one goes to what gun. I am considering reviving the Asso just for the fun of it.

Last edited:
Yes, as far as I know, Seac shares the same tail ends as Salvi and Mares. At least my only Seac (a Hunter 90) did. I think it's Cressi that is slightly different in that regard, too?

Yes, as far as I know, Seac shares the same tail ends as Salvi and Mares. At least my only Seac (a Hunter 90) did. I think it's Cressi that is slightly different in that regard, too?
If that is so, the ball-ended shaft must be for the GSD! Thanks!

Yes, the longer green gun is the GSD "Punto" pistol and used the same leg holster as the earlier "Dynamic". Try swimming with one attached to your leg! Spare parts are no longer available, so GSD guns are really just collector's items, particularly ones in good order cosmetically (no gouges or scratches).

Some of the Mares guns were equipped with a capillary depth gauge mounted on the top of the "Sten" rear handgrip section. From memory it was the black tank "Sharpshooter" model and a longer version whose name escapes me now, but was also in all black rather than with the blue or grey tanks appearing on the other models in the "Sten" series. May have been the "Long Tom".

Yes, the longer green gun is the GSD "Punto" pistol and used the same leg holster as the earlier "Dynamic". Try swimming with one attached to your leg! Spare parts are no longer available, so GSD guns are really just collector's items, particularly ones in good order cosmetically (no gouges or scratches).
That's right, I do have the holster! I thought it was pretty cool when I was a kid!. Unfortunately the gun's handle won't lock into place with the tank. Something is broken in the lock.
I guess I can do s service on the Asso, the internal sealings must be the same as today's models. It's basically a 13mm working at 20 atm, with 8mm shaft. Sounds like it has a punch.

I pumped the little hobbit thing, and guess what? It is keeping the pressure!!! It has been used very little, but still, it is still good after 30 years. Whaaat????
I removed the rust from the tiny shaft by bathing it in vinegar all night, and polish it a bit, sharpened it. I feel 10 y/o again, out to catch my first fish! :dummy:

Last edited:
I have a similar gun, the Mares snub nose. When I bought it back in 1982 it came with the holster and tube style depth gauge. It still works as good as when it was new.

I have a similar gun, the Mares snub nose. When I bought it back in 1982 it came with the holster and tube style depth gauge. It still works as good as when it was new.

I love hearing stories like this.
There are so many folks out there that wouldn't believe a gun like that would/could still work. Can you elaborate a little on how much effort you had to put in to keep it in working order over the years? Did you send it in to service regularly or just "use until destruction" and changed a few seals yourself very decade or none of the above?

And welcome:)

If you want to wear the Mares "Snub Nose" or "Miniministen" on a belt then this is how you can modify the holster by cutting three slots. There is an "Asso" holster for their "Asso 30 cm" gun, but nothing larger will fit inside it even though it has belt slots. I purchased that holster, but found no way to use it without cutting the bottom off it.
Miniministens 4.JPG
Miniministens 3.JPG
Miniministens 2.JPG

Last edited:
Any idea if the depth gauge actually worked? I was too young to know, and I don't have mine anymore, I think it's on the bottom of the bay.

I love hearing stories like this.
There are so many folks out there that wouldn't believe a gun like that would/could still work. Can you elaborate a little on how much effort you had to put in to keep it in working order over the years? Did you send it in to service regularly or just "use until destruction" and changed a few seals yourself very decade or none of the above?

And welcome:)
None of the above for me. Actually, my dad never even rinsed anything :p

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT