• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2 new lures per year

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re: 2 new lures for 2009

Anyone tried a "Dexter Wedge"???
Yes, I have a Dexter wedge and something similar (& cheaper) by Shakespeare with blue/holographic finish (Shakespeare Slither?). I've also seen some coloured, elongated copies that look more eel-like (e.g. the Shakespeare Slither Twist shown at bottom of this post & other no-name versions from Veals). They seem to be well regarded fish takers, although I've probably only used mine once or twice. The angler store behind Chesil Beach & Veals carry & rate them -- simple but effective apparently. I came across a young guy using a huge one (60g+) with a beachcaster down at Tor Cross in S. Devon a couple of years ago -- it made my large (14cm) jointed Abu green mackeral lure seem quite modest (lost it in weed that day :( -- hadn't found weed a problem there before or since). My wedges are more modest in size (they are dense and cast well), I think in the 20g-40g range. I find 28g-30g a good weight with my rod, rated 10-60g.

Dexter Wedge:
showpic.php

Another lure like this (i.e Toby/spoon type lure) that I really like a lot is the Shakespeare Slim Jim in silver or holographic blue. It's cheap, its brass, its 28g and casts well even in the wind due to its dense, slim profile. It has an eye too. Great value. jims.org.uk sell them: Jims, Fishing Tackle Online UK - Shakespeare Spinners ;) I caught a fish the 5th cast when I first used it, was hoping for bass but caught a mackeral - but I like mackeral and was thrilled! There is another common lure similar to this, Veals carry it, called something like "German sprat".

Shakespeare Slim Jim:
product_3014_2.jpg

I also have something similar although more angular (hexagonal I think) with a hole in it to create bubbles, in silver/blue. I think its the Slither Turbo lure on the jims.org.uk page above. They cast real well, I haven't caught anything with it yet but I think it will do the job when the fish are around. Again, pretty cheap too. Good value. (You don't get to say that in the UK v. often!).

Shakespeare Slither Turbo: _______________________________ Shakespeare Slither Twist:
31wiXDf5IKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
product_3030_2.jpg

Last edited:

The Duel Aile Magnet SB Slider is a top lure, those things are copies of it.
Is there any significant difference between them? I plan to buy one so quite interested to know your opinions of these lures. The price looks similar (if you purchase from tax-free Jersey vs. Veals).

I noticed that Veals also sells a much cheaper copy -- by Dexter coincidently -- albeit with less colour/pattern options but it does not have the moving weight system. When I started sea fishing I would happily have gone for the cheaper Dexter option. But I find the the Maria lures cast surprisingly well (despite what it says on that Jersey angling website that OMD posted the link for) and would now think twice before giving up the moving weight system. I'm thinking it probably helps the lure fly straighter & reduces tangles as it enters the water.

Would quite like a black popper too -- I see they make one for Yo-zuri model described above although I'm leaning towards the cheaper American made Heddon Saltwater Super Spook in black.:hmm They look crude but apparently catch and are great fun to use. Anybody used a black lure/popper/eel much? Successful or not?

From MonsterTackle.co.uk - Bass Fishing Lures from Rapala, Yo-Zuri, Smith, Daiwa, Lucky Craft, Storm Lures and more (for example):
Mag_Popper_13_Black.jpg
Heddon_Black.jpg

Last edited:
2 new lures for 2010 - Bronze/Brown/Gold?

I know its 2010 now but I came across some interesting lure ideas on www.monstertackle.co.uk's website, on their forums. The only problem is, it left me wondering if they are trying to offload less popular colours :D.

Looking at several of their threads, one unexpected common thread was their preference for brown/bronze/gold lures - in various types such as: YoZuri Mag Poppers, Rapala J13s, Rapala X-Raps. Is this a colour scheme you guys have success with?

Bronze.jpg

I usually opt for:
-blue & white
-blue & silver (which is also a popular combination on their forums - treated as "a given" perhaps). I probably have too many this colour now though.
- white or holographic white (Henry Gilbey influence)
- silver
- brown/silver Rapala J-series lures (influenced by Mike Ladle & Pav -- should have just bought a blue one as Pav first suggested, I could have saved a fortune in lures!).

I rarely use my Rapala J-series lures these days - I have other similar lures that are heavier and cast further. But am thinking I really should use these more. And my larger Sea Fish Ireland jointed variants, in various holographic colours - cool but unused!

Last edited:

Before I saw all the brown/bronze/gold posts mentioned above, I was thinking of getting:

One of the large Rapala Skitter Pop lures in blue mackeral,
One of YoZuri Mag poppers (probably large but may be small, in blue or green mackeral or blue sardine).
Rapala J13 Blue
Chug Bug in blue-silver mullet (I have some old-style flat black-silver ones - fooled the seagulls:D).
One of the less expensive Daiwa minnow lures in green-silver holo. finish:

SaltProdLAserGreenShiner.jpg

I found several other less famous but equally interesting lures but unfortunately MonsterTackle don't persist one's shopping basket and I don't have time to find them all again. I even managed to find them despite restricting myself to lures of £10 or less (otherwise might as well buy premium fish from a pricey up-market fishmonger).

I like some of the new longer slimmer stick lures that seem popular this year - I've been looking for that for a long time: more like a sandeel! But they seem too expensive and I don't like 3 treble hooks - too snaggy. I have several older lures of similar design -- it was obviously the fashion at least once before:D. The new Rapala one seems to have improved weight and casting over earlier models though.

I am however, now leaning towards not buying my quota of two this year (just as I, in the end, forwent my quota last year) - the prices have shot up despite supposedly no/low inflation. Although strangely a few lures are cheaper (e.g. Chug Bugs - perhaps less fashionable or perhaps without tail feathers?). Looking through my boxes of lures last night, I have many cool lures that have still seen little or no use. True, most are not as cutting-edge as the those above (although some are) but they should do the job. Judging by the wide various lures featured in caught fish pictures, at the end of the day, if your are in the right place with hungry, hunting fish around, I suspect many/most will take (or not) just about anything reasonably fish/food looking (e.g. fish-shaped and/or shiney and/or moving enticingly and/or smelling tasty). At least one website points out that some find they catch more fish on cheaper baits, such as long-lasting Toby-style lures, spinners and soft baits.

Last edited:

Colours...

Depends where you fish. Match the hatch ;o)

Browns/bronze/gold in weed and boulders where you fins baby pollack and gobies etc etc

so called "natural" blues and whites where you find baitfish of those colours, usually open water and sand. it's only natural if you are fishing where there are blue baitfish.

Reactions: Mr. X

This years lure I'm going to try freeline from the yak, with a swivel. They are weighted. Sidewinder make them.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 240

Hi Pav, I have been using those from the beach. Almost put one on my yak's troll line last week but opted not to, because I thought the weight would snag the large reef (Ringstead Bay) - although I did try a big 1oz lead head with a Veal's fire tail. It snagged lots of weed. The Sidewinder does too. The hook is quite a bit bigger than an Eddystone eel and being on top might make a difference too. The best thing (least trouble & most fish caught) I have found so far is a single, unweighted Eddystone eel. Just leave it overboard and forget about (maybe check for snagged weed occasionally). Will be interested to hear how you get on.

BTW I've just invested in ball-bearing swivels and swivel clips - I found my troll line sometimes got badly twisted when using cheap ebay eels (softer than the major brands but I had some blue & white ones that sparkle and were slightly illuminous too - caught one bass with them so far). Regular swivels don't swivel - amazing but true.

Good tips AMD. Several of my favourite dive spots usually/often have lots of small and tiny pollock - especially around brown kep - so it sounds like I should perhaps "invest" in Gold/brown/bronze! However, I've never seen bass take any interest in them - perhaps they are just "playing it cool" like the docile biting Trigger fish. When the sandeels show up (which appear pale blue, perhaps sometimes green, to my eye, underwater - hard to differentiate colour underwater) - the bass usually act pretty excited.

Last edited:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhzqbdGWC6Y]YouTube - Picol'eau[/ame] :cool:
Very cool. Just what I was after: a small sandeel that casts well, looks realistic & moves well. I think veals carry a few but surprisingly expensive considering what they and, of course, last time I looked didn't have my preferred colour scheme. Surprised a British company doesn't start making & selling this kind of thing - and perhaps some nice stick lures to match the Japanese but under £10.:hmm

TIP: if you want to find out what colour/model/breaking strain other fisherman are using, just look which options sell out first. It happens so often it has become quite funny. I very frequently look at a lure or braid and when I try to order it see that the size/colour/etc. that I figured would work best for me is the only option not available, or one of the few options not available when a couple of options would be acceptable:D. I guess we all read the same magazines & websites.

Same with shoes, they always sell out of size 9.5-11 because that's what the majority of men wear. A large friend (policeman) always used to get fantastic bargains on climbing gear, shoes & clothes because there were very few XL climbers around (he was very good) stores had to practically give them away. Despite centuries of experience, it doesn't seem to have dawned on stores and distributors to order and sell a lot more items in the most popular/common sizes (without forgetting keep a few of the outlying sizes).

Last edited:
Lure Pattern & Color/Colour - Fire-Tiger & Red-head?

It's that time again! I decided to re-name and revive this old thread, as I want to revisit that old peach: lure pattern/color/colour. In particular:

Anybody use and catch using Fire-Tiger type patterns?
rapala-original-jointed-floating--fire-tiger.jpg
41E3bCgD3uL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I came across an article a couple of years ago by a guy who fishes around Portland a lot and he was very keen on them. The bright color/high-contrast pattern suggests that presenting a visible target to bass through very poor visibility might be the problem that these address. And they brighten up the tackle box of course :D

Apparently it works for this chap:
IMG_0032.jpg

The Rapala Insider: Fire Tiger Skitter Pop

Also, Miles successfully uses a lot of red-head lures with white or silver bodies in SA. Anybody use them in the UK - are they effective here too? I would think the white/silver body would give good visibility in poor visibility (much like the fire tiger, above) & the red head would probably appear grey and/or blood-rich to predators.
tarponlures.jpg
CopyofIMGP2440.jpg

Fishing in Cuba, Fishing lures for Tarpon, Jack cravel, Cubera, Pargo (Mutton Snapper), barracuda
Red head lures- World Sea Fishing Forums | Sea Angling and Sea Fishing Online | Fishing Reports

BTW my last lure purchase - influenced by Mike Ladle's success with them - was gel Lunkers. The cool thing about them is the hook is largely hidden in the soft gel body so they can be used in weed - a very useful feature for me. Haven't had much opportunity to use them so far though :(. Also got some metal headed gel sandeels - simpler to use and smaller than the lunkers, which require careful threading of the special hooks into the lure body.

Last edited:
My most successful "lures" last year were Japanese-style mackerel feathers, smaller than usual hooks & different coloured luminous beads. I caught some mackerel on them a few years ago, so kept them in my bag. Tried them again last year (2013) and they caught even more! Cost about £1.50!

Next I catch mackerel on them, I might try live-baiting it using the Mike Ladle humane single circle-hook approach (he usually returns his live bait back to the sea alive). I have my rod set up so that I can quickly switch rigs, so would even need a second rod.

Probably won't buy 2 new lures this year (2014) - time to make more use of those I already have (too many, I don't loose them as often now)!

BTW I had an stubby ebay popper with a propeller it its mouth fail last year - the eye-hook for the line pulled out when the lure hit the water! Very poor quality it seems. Lucky a fish didn't get it (or perhaps it did...).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT