• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2 or 3 (5/8" or 9/16") bands on AB Biller 36"?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

FishHunter

WI Spearo
Sep 22, 2009
Can anyone help me out? I just bought 2nd AB Biller 36 speargun and need to replace the bands. I currently use 2: 9/16" bands.

For my new gun, should I go with 5/8" or 9/16" ? This new spear has notches for 3 bands. Should I use 3?

What thickness is the shaft?

For a 6.5 - 7 mm shaft I would suggest 2 9/16 bands for 7mm and up I would suggest 2 5/8. I think with a short open track gun 3 bands is overkill. You will end up overpowering your gun and getting shaft whip, and in turn making your gun inaccurate.

Can anyone help me out? I just bought 2nd AB Biller 36 speargun and need to replace the bands. I currently use 2: 9/16" bands.

For my new gun, should I go with 5/8" or 9/16" ? This new spear has notches for 3 bands. Should I use 3?

Your gun does not have the mass to shoot 3 5/8 quality bands elongated to their max. Stay with 2 good 9/16 and a shaft not thicker than 5/16.
Don't worry about open tracks on a short gun, the short shafts are not going to spline cycle very much. (bending/flexing) under load.
Cheers, Don Paul

Is it a good idea to use strong flatbands as in exercise bands instead of the commercial speargun tubes. Im making a homemade and need addvice

Your gun does not have the mass to shoot 3 5/8 quality bands elongated to their max. Stay with 2 good 9/16 and a shaft not thicker than 5/16.

are you sure?, when i had a biller the gun was useless untill i upped the bands to 2 5/8 bands, the stock bands shot the shaft like i threw it under water

are you sure?, when i had a biller the gun was useless untill i upped the bands to 2 5/8 bands, the stock bands shot the shaft like i threw it under water

I stand behind my statement, 3-5/8 ''quailty bands elongated to thir max''. The OP's speargun is a Biller 36''..not allot of barrel mass there.

Stock rubber and standard elongation rates can leave a lot of power on the deck.

Cheers, Don Paul

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…