• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2004 USA Spearfishing Nationals Results

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sturgeon

Feb 1, 2002
Because of the recent tragedy at the US Freedive Spearfishing Nationals this year, results from the tournament have been slow to surface. Here are some of the top scores. I've also attached the entire ranking in 2 separate files. There were 93 individuals comprising 33 teams who competed this year. It was touted as the largest Nationals in the 50+ year history of the sport.

Men's Individual

DIVER PLACE #FISH POINTS COUNCIL

LANCE OTSUBO 1 15 90.4 HIFC
WAYDE HAYASHI 2 13 71.8 HCDC
JOHN IWANIEC 3 13 69.3 GLACD
GERALD LIM 4 14 68.0 HIFC
ANDREW GEIST 5 12 59.0 MASS
KEN LEE 6 13 58.2 HIFC
ANDREW TAMASESE 7 12 55.6 HIFC
SCOTT TURGEON 8 12 52.8 MASS
HAROLF DEAN 9 10 52.6 LONG FINS
STEVEN LEE 10 10 52.3 HIFC

Women's Individual

JANIS SMITH 1 8 32.1 CENCAL
KIMI MAKAIAU 2 6 29.3 HCDC
SHERI DAYE 3 8 26.5 LONG FINS
BRANDI EASTER 4 6 22.4 CENCAL
BONNIE ROW 5 5 17.8 CENCAL
JENNIFER HOLANI 6 3 10.3 HCDC
TANYA BEIRNE 7 1 3.1 HCDC
ELIZABETH KARCHER 8 -- -- FSDA

MEN’S DIVISION Team

PLACE COUNCIL NAMES SCORE

1st HIFC Jason Hijirida 186.5
Travis Kashiwa
Lance Otsubo

2nd HIFC Ken Lee 178.5
Steven Lee
Gerald Lim

3rd LONG FINS Harolf Dean 134.5
Severino Cruz
Alex Bristol

4th HIFC John Ernst 134.3
Jonathan Baretto
Calvin Lai

5th MASS Andrew Geist 133.0
Scott Turgeon
Russ Karnap

MIXED DIVISION

1ST LONG FINS Daryl Wong 77.7
Sherry Daye

2ND HCDC Kimi Makaiau 59.7
Dell Agricula

3RD HIFC Bonnie Row 54.5
Bill Ernst

4TH CENCAL Janis Smith 32.1
Mike McGuire

5TH CENCAL Brandi Easter 22.4
William Butler

6TH HCDC Jennifer Holani 13.4
Tanya Bernie

Scott

Rig,

Thanks. I'm especially excited about it because it means I have a chance at making the next World Team. I just have to wind up 4th or better after a combined score from this year and next year in Missouri. Also, congratulations on the birth of your son!!!!! Please from now on always think of him while you're diving.

Everyone,

It has been brought to my attention that part my first sentence in my original post (...slow to surface...) may have been misconstrued as having some sort of pun to it. Of course, this was the furthest thing from my mind and I meant no association whatsoever with my statement in relation to the tragedy.

Please everybody be careful when diving! This was not the first death from SWB I have witnessed and it will probably not be the last, but I can always hope. For it is truly a horrible thing to be part of. Every time I think of Gene's wife and his 2 year old son anxiously waiting on the beach for his return at the end of the tournament, it brings tears to my eyes. I hope my wife and son never have to go through that.

Scott

Reactions: ivan
Congrats Scott, and good luck with the World Team position.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT