• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2011 carp - o - rama

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I will probably be there round 8:30am in hopes to be suited up and diving by 9am. I plan on having my first fish at 9:01 :)

Since there is a group meeting over by the outlet does any one want to meet up at goodland park on Wasuba to start the day and if so what time?

I was in Waubesa on Monday with Ted (unirdna) and we didn't get a single fish. The water was clear, the temps were around 60F, and there was no weed cover- so, no fish. We did see a few bass spawning up in shallow water. By shallow, I'm talking 2'!

I just got back from the outlet about 15 minutes ago. I shot 22 fish (mostly bluegill but a few crappie mixed in as well) and saw a ton of carp- which I didn't shoot. Water was 57F degrees and the outlet was NOT on. Actually, the water was very murky by the outlet, but the rest of the area was rather nice. There were also some huge walleye- one of which was so big I thought it was a carp from the surface! I saw plenty of bass and even had a musky eying up the fish on my belt stringer. He was more aggressive than most of the musky I bump into and I really had the feeling he was looking to score a free meal.

I'll post pictures on the other thread when i get a chance to load my photos.

Jon

Is it looking like the carp-o-rama is still a go, weatherwise? If it is and I can make it, I'd have a 4+ hour drive, does anyone mind a non-shooter tagging along? Looking to devirginize my gear and gain some knowledge on how you pros spear and handle fish. I have a gun but no float, so if anyone wants to test the rob allen gun, they're welcome to do so.

BigThreeForLife, how did those 3XL Hammerhead gloves fit?

Last edited:
They actually didn't have 3xl, shipped 2xl and they are pretty tight. The fingers are rather short, but gloves seem like they'd be super warm.

I've speared in Hawaii but never freshwater. I'm bringing my friend, Dan, who also has almost all gear including a float, but no gun... how about you bring your gun, he brings his float and we can all go out together?

I plan on meeting up with everyone and heading to the outlet. Ill be bringing Italian Beef from my buddys place for afterwards. Right now I'm planning on sandwiches for around 12 so if we have more or could get an accurate headcount that'd be great.

Chris
Posted via Mobile Device

I won't know if I'll be able to make it for sure until tomorrow evening. If I'm gonna be able to make it, I'll let you know tomorrow and get a meeting time and spot.

Buck - IF you are close to someones float - you should be safe.

I estimated that there could be about 8-16 divers. Which means we will probably have 4-8 :) just usually the way it works. They are calling 50% chance of Rain - but I can handle Rain. I will post a weather report tomorrow night. I'm bringing Potato Salad, Plates, Sporks............... and beer

Last edited:
Ill bring 3 pounds of beef (about 12 sandwiches), sweet peppers, hot peppers, and bread. Ill also have some beer. I plan on sharing my gun with my buddy and anyone else who wants to try an aimrite 90cm.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm bringing my 32in biller and hammerhead 110cm rail. I am also bring a cake, some pita and humus, a 5ft table along with a small propane grill. I'll have an extra gun.

Expecting to arrive between 6:30 and 7:00 at the lakes if anyone wants to swap stories or get some breakfast. I will email my phone tonight to any of you who wants it.

Weather update: 20% chance of Rain - no storms till the night. South Winds 5 - 10mph. If that makes you decide to dive in a different spot. The chance of rain keeps going down. It was at 50% this morning now at 20%. I'm betting we don't get any.

HMMM Your weather report is encouraging! I have been tracking the storms also and had decided not to camp but I was also tracking the water temp of Monona and almost backed out at the last moment. I may just throw the tent and bag in the truck also.

Things aren't looking good for me to make it. I'm gonna have to wait for the next event or another weekend. Dive safe and shoot straight!

Just looks to be cloudy today..................... with a chance of meatballs

Overall, I'd say it was a decent enough day. Here is my report:

Water Temp: 57/58

Vis: 3ft shallow - 15ft in about 15' of water or on the deeper end of weeds.

Weather: Cloudy with a South Wind

We had 9 divers attend this event with 3 spectators. I saw Lots of fish. Most of the fish were easier to see once I dove down to the bottom (the vis was better down there) Or diving down in the weeds. I saw: about 4-5 Walleye, 6-7 Carp, 8 or so "shootable" Crappie, Lots of BG including several Pigs!, Lots of Perch (shallow). The Big Pigs/Bass were all hanging on the OUTSIDE of the weed beds in the deeper water.

I ended up shooting 5 Perch, 2 Crappies, 1 Bluegill, 1 Carp.

The Lunch afterwards was pretty sweet. Thanks for the Great Sandwiches 'BigThreeforLife'. Plenty of Beer - no shortage there.

The Prizes went as follow:

Kraftyjack and I were the only ones to shoot Carp. I let KraftyJack have 1st pick. I also declined to pick a prize as I already have the gear and others there can use it.

1st: Mako Mask - KraftyJack
2nd: HammerHead 5mil Gloves - Fishsticks22
3rd: HammerHead 1mil Lycra Shirt - Randy (can't think of your 'username')

Overall - I had a great time and will try to arrange more events in the future.

Thanks for all who showed up - it was fun.

Pics:
1 - Whopperhead with his Stringer
2 - KraftyJack with his Stringer
3 - FishStick22 the his New HammerHead 5mil Gloves
4 - Randy with his New HammerHead 1mil Lycra Shirt
5 - Group Photo minus Tass and Family

Attachments

• PIC_0058.jpg
    PIC_0058.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 222
  • PIC_0062.jpg
    PIC_0062.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 225
  • PIC_0064.JPG
    PIC_0064.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 222
  • PIC_0066.JPG
    PIC_0066.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 218
  • PIC_0068.jpg
    PIC_0068.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 220
A few more pics from Yesterday.

Pics:
1- Whopperhead with his stringer and some
2- Randy Pre-Dive
3- Tass, Randy & KevinCook Pre-dive - I love Tass's Flag!!
4- Measuring KraftyJacks Perch - roughly 11"
5- The 2 carp shot.

Attachments

• PIC_0061.JPG
    PIC_0061.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 214
  • PIC_0056.JPG
    PIC_0056.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 223
  • PIC_0055.JPG
    PIC_0055.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 218
  • PIC_0054.jpg
    PIC_0054.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 211
  • PIC_0060.jpg
    PIC_0060.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT