• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

27 Aquatic lifeforms you never caught while fishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Wouldnt wana bump into most of those while in the water thanx.
Cool post and thanx for sharing :)

The Axolotl, whatever he's been drinking i'll have some...:) :)

Wolf eels are commonly caught or speared off the Central/Northern California coast. They are reputedly delicious!

Never say never...

Bilde011-1.jpg

The Axolotl, whatever he's been drinking i'll have some...:) :)
Axolotls are cool, I used to keep them. They have gills and lungs, which could make them great freedivers, but they spend most of their time doing nothing. Sometimes they fight badly, but this usually has no long-term consequences - if they lose a leg or tail, they can grow a new one, identical to the original.

Some funny life forms...
A moss ball. This botanical sphere is the same on all sides, with no roots, and it feels like a hairy sponge. It rolls around so both sides face the light. The fish remove algae that grow on it, like vacuum-cleaning a carpet.

My goldfish x carp, now bigger and looking more like a carp. It has equal features of both parent species.
Broadtail Moor Goldfish
Carp Photos, Carp Images | Photobank NaturePhoto-CZ

Attachments

• mossball.JPG
    mossball.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 119
  • goldfishmossball.JPG
    goldfishmossball.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 153
  • goldfishxcarp1.JPG
    goldfishxcarp1.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 115
  • goldfishxcarp2.JPG
    goldfishxcarp2.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 107
If that mossball is alive then its easilly the creepiest thing in this thread.

Meant to add that Chimaeras (sp?) are commonly caught here in Norway too... called "havmus" (seamouse i think lol)

Last edited:
The mossball is alive, it has grown since I got it and bits of 'hair' break off, maybe to grow into new mossballs. It is supposed to be very hardy. In hot weather bubbles of O2 form on the ball and make it float to the surface. Even when it is left on one side for several days, the lower side does not become paler or grow roots, but remains green. It is not slippery, but more like short coarse hair. The green threads do not seem to branch, but grow outwards like the pile of a carpet. The threads must be connected in the middle so the side which faces the light can pass food to the side facing down.

It is a form of algae and does not move around on its own (at least I have never seen it doing so...), but it somehow manages to travel around, maybe moved by the fish or turned over by trapped O2 bubbles. When I change the water it always gets in the way and sometimes gets a bit squashed - it is hard enough to avoid the fish, without a rolling plant as well. :D
Marimo Moss Balls (Chladophora aegagropila) Pack of 10 by: Cornish

Well if it doesn't move under its own steam then its not so bad :)

You should turn Your skills to rearing marine fish like Wolfies (below)... so much better than carp :t

Attachments

• Bilde013.jpg
    Bilde013.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 134
Too scary... :D
Some unusual fish faces.
Ancistrus albino : AquaNourriplus.com!
[ame=http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=20011&postcount=4]Practical Fishkeeping Forum - View Single Post - My Goldfishes[/ame]
[ame=http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=18726&postcount=2]Practical Fishkeeping Forum - View Single Post - My Goldfishes[/ame]

Wolfies ain't scary... they are Delicious!

trouble is I associate aquariums with menus and those goldfish and cichlids etc. just don't do it for Me.

I think a proper fish tank looks something like this...
julypics07047.jpg

I fed the Carp at Bergen aquarium custard creams, I was very popular until the biscuits ran out.
Cod (right in the tank pic above) also use their chin barbel to find food like that elephant nose thingy. I often catch them with the hook set through their chin. They are also far better hoovers than Carp... much bigger mouths and appetites, they eat everything. one guy here caught one with a can of Danish beer in its stomach!

Did he eat the fish and drink the beer? :D
I feed my goldfish from my hand, they make sucking noises and blow bubbles out of their mouth and gills. Sometimes they make the noise while completely submerged. :confused:

Life's too short for this goby...
Environment & Nature News - World record fish live fast, die young - 26/04/2005
At the other end of the scale, at least two goldfish in the UK have lived for 43 years. They often turn white with age. It is hard to accurately work out the age of a fish, but certainly the large ones like carp may live for 60-80 years in ideal conditions. Sometimes people say "My goldfish lived for 2 years, which is about 400 in human years." If only they knew...

I dunno about drinkin the beer, fishy stomach acid is pretty strong, i wouldn't drink anything out of their stomach...ewww.

Those carp at the aquarium make more than sucking noises, It was like a jacuzzi in there, I almost lost fingers... got some photies below.

I took a fishing trip with one of the guys on a fishing forum as He was after a Blenny for His species list, Caught a ton of Gobies before this little fella took the bait...

Attachments

• 33719_s.jpg
    33719_s.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 128
  • julypics07 055.jpg
    julypics07 055.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 111
  • julypics07 056.jpg
    julypics07 056.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 114
Carp love their food. They bite with their gums and try to jump out of the water. I have seen them hit their head quite hard on overhanging objects while trying to get food. The smaller ones will sometimes jump on the back of the bigger ones to get closer to the food.

Those are nice colourful koi carp. I like all the colours, there are so many.

I like blennies and gobies, they are so cute. Hope that was catch and release.

If You look closely in the 2nd carp pic You'll see a big black one twice the size of the others. Not colourful but a real beauty.

The blenny was returned unharmed :)

Nah... he is right in the middle of the other fish, tho there is another big black one at the bottom left. plain black is a super camo.

They caught a huge carp in Thailand recently, it couldn't be weighed tho cos it was too big. they reckoned it weighed more than John '2 jags' prescott tho... The sun reported that one obviously.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT