• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2james 3rd annual keys kraze

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
2003 is going to get off to a good start...Mardi-gras in March , KK in April...now if I can only make it through the winter.

Originally posted by rigdvr
now if I can only make it through the winter.

Ah, c'mon now, Rig! Yer preachin to the freakin choir, here! :naughty I'm freezin my tail off, and yer bitchen about a little cool breeze when the sun goes behind a cloud. Whatever! :head

:t
Andrsn

yeah, you're right. I guess I've just got cabin fever from looking at the beach everyday but knowing it is 12 ft+ offshore...and all my hunting is 50-100 miles out

We actually had frost on the ground the other morning so..:t

12+ ?? what are you bitchn about! Grab a kayak and shred it!

Will kill for little 12+ right now.

Stuck in butt#%@! nowhere, it's cold - the coast is 7 hours away!

Grrr, wanna trade?

and checked out that campsite - $28!!! I really hope thats weekly.....

thats $42 for us canuks!

maybe I can find a nice park bench.....

hmmm...

TEAM NORTH COAST (Wino's In Training)

Originally posted by Amphibious
Stuck in butt, wanna trade?

Ah.. no thanks. :t

checked out that campsite - $28!!! I really hope thats weekly.....

thats $42 for us canuks!

maybe I can find a nice park bench.....

Actually, I think that's per night, but that's what you have this forum for. Get a group of guys/gals together and setup multiple tents on 1 site and split the cost(That's what we always do). The $'s gonna have to be saved for the boats, and you'll DEFINITELY have to split that cost.

Andrsn

I dont think you quite understand...a 12' in the north gulf is something you nw coast guys cant fathom(Sven word ) The water of the N gulf is to shallow to produce the big rollers typical in your neck of the woods. Anything bigger than 4' here is a stacked breaker. A 12' breaker is almost impossible to navigate...one bad angle and oops, the boat is in 2 pieces Even the bigger boats stayed tied up this time of year.

Kayak? Thats a long paddle...80mi each way to my favorite rig...guess I could just let the current take me out and hope it brings me back!

Sure I'll trade...you come take my final exams and stare at the ocean that you cant dive in till' spring and I'll hang out in hell...it would be less torture:waterwork

Just moved to the NW so have no idea what their rollers look like - I've run a lot of rivers with 12ft haystacks. was a kick in the pants - Serious WaveWheels and massive cutbacks. Open ocean would be wild.....

I've got 3 finals left this week - still want to trade?

:head

Hey Vince! Looks like Chris and I are going to Drive to Key Kraze from Ottawa. if you want we can pick you up on the way - Chris's Forester is great on gas - if we can get four together we can do this trip pretty cheap.

I'll email you the details. about a 30hour drive (we're seasoned Road-trippers)

Chris and I need two more people to camp with us at our site - mucho Cheap!

Willer

Sven: Sultan of Smooth, Spearfishing Guru, See also - DIRTY OLD MAN!

Pervert! :naughty

Andy - You've never head of Butt#uck nowhere? though it was an american expression

C'mon Vince - you gonna listen to this guy?

Thanks Sven - now Pops will never let him come! Team North Coast fades away.....

:waterwork

Willer

Last edited:
new one to me!

16yrs living in Middle East and never heard that one! but even there they make fun of the Cali Fruits :head

Guess we'll find out we see Sven hunting - Lookout for the Barge at Large!

Just remember - just 'cause it smells Like Tuna, doesn't mean you need to put a shaft in it.......um... yeah - spearfishing of course...

Willer:naughty

What's the skinny on shore dives? is it even worth it? not sure where I read/heard it but isn't there a lot of Bulls near the Bridge uprights?

Wouldn't mind crawling the flats for Snook or Permit, and others(if it's permitable)

is there a good website for what to shoot / not to shoot? I've found lots of gamefish sites, but looking for something more specific.

Is Tarpon Edible?

Willer

Wouldn't mind crawling the flats for Snook or Permit, and others(if it's permitable)...Is Tarpon Edible?
Willer

Damn...you just managed to name almost every prohibited specie in Florida! All of these are not to be speared as well as Nassau grouper, jewfish and anything with a gamefish status...

As for the bridges, technically I believe it is illegal to spear within a certain distance of piers, jetties or bridges. That said, I never had a problem in Monroe county. Rule could be since the last tme I was there? Look for plenty of bulls under the Bahia Honda (7 mile) bridge, especially when the tarpon move in. Also, bridge dives must be timed around tidal movement. Hit the last 45 min of a tide, the slack and then the first part of the next flow until it gets to bad...and it will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amphibious
Thanks for heads up - will try to avoid prison while at KK03.

will bring soap-on-a-rope just in case :duh

So if you can't hunt gamefish - what can you hunt?

just found a seahunters site out of florida, but all the guys in the photos look like they're on scuba hunting reef fish! :rcard

Guess I'm going to have to order up a copy of the regs.

Willer

Some things to look forward to that you can shoot...
mackerals, groupers(except nassau/jewfish), snappers, hogfish, amberjacks, cobia, bluewater fish(no billfish)

I believe Andrsn has a very helpful section on his website... www.2james.net I think

Reactions: andrsn
sweet - so mostly reef fish - good stuff - won't have to dig up a bluewater gun.

Didn't see Cuda on the list - classed as gamefish?

going to try to avoid Bulls, nasty lil'#%!~ers

thanks!

Willer

cudas are ok to shoot but be aware since the area is a coral reef ciguitara is a possibility. Most "gamefish are things like speckled trout, redfish, snook, ect...bluewater is a possibility once you get past the reefs.

hope some of this helps

Willer,

A 100-120cm euro type gun is perfect for where we're going. That translates to a C3 Riffe. Both w/ hawaiian shafts. Take a look at last years KK pics on my site. That's mostly what we're hunting.

Yeah, there are some big grouper around the pilings, but you gotta have some brass heuvos to shoot something there. We normally have 2 people in the boat trailing the spearos. The rigs are guns w/ floatlines. As soon as you shoot something, you drop everything, swim away and have the boat pick up your line and haul in what's left of your fish. :blackeye

If you have any more questions about the area, please ask. I pretty much learned to spear down there.

Later,
Anderson

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…