• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2nd wind?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pezman

We pee deep. Ew!
Sep 24, 2002
I had one of those little breakthroughs a day or two ago. I was heading out of work to my car and decided to try a little walking apnea. The distance was about 150m, and I figured that I'd break before I got to my car, but how far could I go ...

At less than the halfway point, I thought I was close to breaking but I hung in there a little longer. After a little while, my eyes started to water, but I kept going. Oddly enough, as I started to get close to my car, the task seemed to get easier. At the same time, I was starting to feel the effects that you get with an intense dynamic (heavy legs, vision started to get a little dim etc.). By the time I actually reached my car, the comfort level was not bad at all -- in fact it was better than at the half-way point.

At any rate, is there a 2nd wind effect where a dynamic breathhold gets a little easier after time? The change in the nature of the breathhold seemed too profound to be the little psychological boost that you get from going farther than expected. I'm wondering if the physiology of the dynamic was changing (i.e. was I shifting from alactic to lactic mode or something along those lines).

Any ideas? If this is a real effect and I know that there is a hump to get over, I think that I can get to a new level in dynamics.

Thanks
mh

hi

That seems odd getting easier towards the end. I always feel like im gonna die towards the end.

cheers

I experimented with this a 2nd time, and the shift occurred at about the same time. Since there was no "reward" the 2nd time to account for a psychological factor, I am even more convinced that this 2nd wind thing is a physiological effect.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT