• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

3 divers found in 2 days.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Chris_C_NZ

Jul 12, 2011
Goddamit :martial

2 divers pulled out dead from Lake Pupuke on Friday, another found dead at Goat Island.

A timely reminder to check gauges often and remember that anyone can pull a dive at any time for any reason!

My sympathies to the families and organisations involved.

Goat Island body is thought to be someone washed off the rocks. There was however a third diver recovered in the Auckland area over the weekend, but thankfully this one was alive.

Pupuke is a poor place to be teaching people to dive. Zero visibility at depth combined with the cold can induce much higher air consumption from panic. Every year it seems we lose someone there.

Awww, come on guys Pupuke isn't so bad. No current, handy to the city for training, fresh water, good depth. The vis can be a challenge but not as bad as some harbors I could mention. I count myself lucky to have somewhere so convenient to train.
Phil C

I'd say that if you need somewhere that is sheltered, realistic, safe, ok vis..you need hit any one of the many bays up around whangaparoa.

I'm with Phil on this one, if you survive the waters of pupuke you can dive anywhere.

Deepest sympathy goes out to the family and friends whom lost their loved ones.

Has there been an autopsy report released?

Don't be dissin' the Puke too badly. Lake Pupuke is great training. How many places do you know of that you only have to dive 10 or 15 meters to be total blackness pass through a nut tightening thermocline and simulate extreme depth with an under 5m viz? (ten on a really good day).

In fact, we have a Depth Comp coming up in the Puke in December. Should prove to be interesting.

I guess thats where you and I differ in ideas for training. When I hit the water I want to experience things by seeing them.

And for everyone who chirrups about 'when the seas are rough' then I go hit my mountain bike, or go climbing, or do a zillion other things.

Think Wade's talking about freedive training. Bit different from SCUBA.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT