• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

3 powered speargun?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Band gun with 1x16mm and 1x 18mm rubber:
- Low power for caves 1x 16mm loaded
- bigger caves in slightly more open terrain 1x 18mm rubber loaded
- BIG fish or open water long shots both rubbers loaded.

:)

DD

OR Omer Airballet

adjustable muzzle allows for unlimited variation in power.

- Holes closed low power
- Holes half open Medium power
- holes open max power

DD

I am looking for a pneumatic gun with three powers. Used to have a German one but forgot the name and cannot find another.

Nemrod-Metzeler made the three power "Mariner", is that the gun you are talking about? Nemrod spearguns were made in Spain, but Metzeler is a German company that makes rubber and plastic products.

Not that I know of. I answered this on the other thread where you posted the same question (Cyrano v Mimetic). Plenty of pneumatic guns come up on eBay, some have seen very little use, so are worth considering. Generally if all the accessories are there and the condition looks very good then these guns have a lot of life left in them.

I do a lot of speardiving and meet many different size fish and when shooting in reef and rocks I need a gun that has a lower power so I don't damage my tip or bend my spear.

The Mares "Mirage" is only a dual power speargun, despite it having a three position gate for the power selector, as the most forward position on the selector gate is for loading only. The other two are the usual "high" and "low" power positions. As far as isolation of the rear "pre-chamber" from the main pressure reservoir goes the "loading" and "low" power selector positions work in exactly the same way in terms of plugging the air reservoir's partitioning bulkhead; the "loading" position only pushes the plug slightly deeper into the partitioning bulkhead's air transfer port.

You can use "intermediate" shooting powers from the "Mirage", but they do not actually tell you this in the instruction book. What you have to do is put the power selector to the "loading" position and instead of conducting five pump strokes of the lower pumping barrel you conduct only one or two and then transfer the shaft back into the main barrel. What the pumping barrel does is it depressurizes the pre-chamber in incremental steps with each stroke of that barrel. The less strokes made in the pumping barrel then the harder the main barrel will be to load, but if you leave the power selector in the "loading" position then this will be all that you will be shooting with when you fire the gun*. Personally I think this is more of academic interest rather than practical because if you have the spear in the pumping barrel then you may as well do all five strokes (the maximum allowed) and gain the benefit of a near zero loading effort into the main barrel. Lifting the power selector from the "loading" position will cause it to shoot back to the "full" power position, so then you will be back to the usual choice of "low" or "full" power. After all the fiddling around with multiple step loading of the "Mirage" one usually wants the "payback" of full power shooting rather than something less!

*Actually when I think about it some more this will not be an "intermediate" power shot, but a lower than "low" power shot!

Most dual power pneumatic guns on "low" power are fine around rocks, some speedy fish need full power anyway, so one gradually works through a supply of spear tips over the years. If conditions warrant less grunt then it is a simple matter to bleed air from the gun and top it up again later.

Last edited:
OR Omer Airballet

adjustable muzzle allows for unlimited variation in power.

- Holes closed low power
- Holes half open Medium power
- holes open max power

DD

Can you give a little more detail on this? I've been thinking about getting the airbalete.

Thanks

Dyl

Can you give a little more detail on this? I've been thinking about getting the airbalete.

Thanks

Dyl

Here are some images. I shoot game fish with mine so I do not reduce the power. It is a fun gun in terms of no recoil and ease of tracking fast fish.
Cheers, Don Paul

MUZZLE:
The new muzzle integrates a power reducer which can be easily employed while fishing. The side water ports in the front of the gun (larger than standard ports to increase the water escape from the piston chamber) can be shut by simply turning the muzzle cover. By doing this the speed of the shaft is reduced by 15%.

Attachments

• Muzzle.jpg
    Muzzle.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Here are some images. I shoot game fish with mine so I do not reduce the power. It is a fun gun in terms of no recoil and ease of tracking fast fish.
Cheers, Don Paul

MUZZLE:
The new muzzle integrates a power reducer which can be easily employed while fishing. The side water ports in the front of the gun (larger than standard ports to increase the water escape from the piston chamber) can be shut by simply turning the muzzle cover. By doing this the speed of the shaft is reduced by 15%.

Very interesting, what if you turn the muzzle cover before you load the gun? With a little tinkering could you implicate a vacuum system?

Dylan

Very interesting, what if you turn the muzzle cover before you load the gun? With a little tinkering could you implicate a vacuum system?

Dylan

Not with the stock port sleeve, it is not water tight. My friend in Croatia
has been tinkering.:)

Cheers, Don Paul

Cheers, Don Paul

MUZZLE:

Dylan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT