• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

38lb Red Snaper, C.R...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thank y'all for the positive vibes!!!

It is great to know I am beginning to become part of a very nice community. All you guys congratulating me and all, it means a lot to me because I don't have any other close diving buddies who appreciate the thrill of the hunt, and when you get a price like this it means a lot to share it with people who live similar experiences. THANK YOU ALL:) :) :) :)

About the identification of the fish, I omitted saying that my father, William Bussing,is a recognized Icthiologist who has being in Costa Rica since the 60's, we checked on his identification "key" which I always carry with me and like you say donmoore and rgdvr even for him it was a close call deciding which species it really was. He has not yet been in this forum but I will invite him so he post the scientific data on this.. I think you guys are much more informed than me but I am sure Bill will clarify any doubts.

I have to tell you that the fish was missing one lower canine he had signs fighting lines (2 hooks well set: one in his "tongue" and one way in near the gills). The special bone you talk about is the vomer which is located in the front of the palatal area, it looks like a small triangle, and it too was similar in 2 species. Like I say, Bill will have to come in and explain.

Again, thanks, and please contact me if you are visiting Costa Rica, I am presently in the process of moving from San Jose, the capital to Liberia, in the north pacific (great area for spearing!!!) I hope I can find some business too, I will be starting my private practice as a dentist. Anyone with a tooth ache.?... Come to Costa Rica, go spearing and I will take care of your ailments...for much less than in the States!!!

After this little public anouncement I'm off....

Don,

Fish head soup is DELICOUS, the more slimy/gel like fats the fish have the better.

If you go to any Jap sushi bar, ask them for grilled Salmon head and .........damn I drool too much to tell the taste..:p

Snappers and red tout/cod is a good Fish Head Soup.... YUMMY !!!!!!

EBUSSO,

What is an Icthiologist ? Is this a speciality where the doctor can remove our itch...............he he he, just kidding.

Now that is one big snapper.!!!!

Congrats on the victorious hunt. I hope it tasted as pretty as it looks

Happy hunting

Aquiles

yeah, and the fish ain't bad either! ;)

Seriously though, having tried eyes, I'd opt for eating their arses before I go that route again. No 'Pina is that hot lookin' to make me try that again! When in Rome, order out!

sven

Amen and halleluja too ...
I 'm quite happy to munch on my boring fish fillet while you guys crunch those exciting eyeballs :yack

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT