• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

3rd Mediteranean Freediving World Cup

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Really? How so - was it announced as a cross-discipline attempt or something?

Ben's record wasn't announced as cross-record, and he has mentioned to all of us several time about Walter's record. I really don't know how the Australian record rules go on that - the UK one's don't work that way.

Apologies to Stavros, as the video review didn't go in his favour. Nothing wrong with the dive, just a slight inconsistency with the SP. Similarly this morning, Anna VB did a great 100m variable, but replaced "I'm OK", with "Oh what a beautiful dive" ( not currently on the judges' list of allowable phrases, but certainly more difficult to pronounce ).

Ben's record wasn't announced as cross-record

Well yeah, it would be a bit cheeky claiming a VWT dive as a CWT record!

I was just wondering whether Wal's record was CWT + VWT, because that would at least in theory make sense, CWT being the harder of the two. Still weird though and presumably (?) not allowed by AIDA; like claiming a DYN or STA record from a DNF dive.

I know some countries practice that to set a VWT record it has to exceed the deepest of CWT, CNF or FIM. This is understandable but I don`t agree that you could claim a VWT-record for the same dive. Let`s say all NR in a country were 70m. If you did CNF 71m could you claim FIM 71 and CWT 71 as well?? The CNF dive would have been validated as all three as long as the announcement were in the chosen dicipline.

Hi All,

I am sorry for the lack of up to the minute information - I am uploading the 1st day's start list with some impressive performances to get things heated up.

We have had Ben Noble doing a successful dive to 100m in VWT on Saturday and Anna and myself failing the surface protocol on our dives to 145m NLT and 100m VWT respectively due to a bit too much nitrogen on the brain :)

I will try and get results out as soon as we can tomorrow evening and a new start list for Day 2.

Wednesday is planned for a rest day in the competition and we are gearing up for a series of National records in Variable Ballast (Anna, Adel, Kattie, Philipe and Kerrian) and No-Limits (Ben and myself) and the main attraction with Natalia Molchanova's Variable Ballast World Record Attempt dive.

Will keep you posted with more info and hopefully a new youtube video

Cheers
Stavros

Attachments

• MWC Startlist DAY 1.pdf
    91.5 KB · Views: 259
Stavros, Mark,

Thanks for the updates! Some big numbers tomorrow - tough call mark!! Good on ya. Go and nail it. Stavros, a great No Limits, now get the SP sorted! I am here writing school reports, so when a dive goes wrong think you could be at work with hayfever wishing with every molecule in your body to be in Crete diving deep!
Benny B 100m+ is now calling you!

Good luck with the dives to everyone else esp Liv, Tim and George

Congratulations ben what a beast of a dive. How the Fu#* did you equalise down to 100m VERY impressive. You are gunna hit the bottom of the lake soon for sure top stuff.

And the results....?

(I know G Nery did 110m, Willim W turned at 92m and Kerian did 83m cwt, Jakob Hansen taking my national record with 75m FIM - congrats - and Cristina Kummel new pb with 51m cwt)

But what about the rest...?
Morten

Last edited:
Hallo All,

sorry for the delays in info - we are just spending so much time in the water each day that net time is suffering (at least my net time :) )
I am attaching the official press release for the first 3 days of the official comp:

3rd Mediterranean Freediving World Cup, Kalamata Greece

Summer time might be about fun in the sea and sun for most people but this year in the seaside city of Kalamata, Greece 40 of the World’s top Freedivers have a slightly different idea about fun in the sea. The reason is the 3rd Mediterranean Freediving World Cup which started on Monday 14th of June with more than 40 athletes from 21 countries competing for the title of the deepest freediver in the World. After 2 official competition days on Monday and Tuesday and 1 record attempt day this Wednesday we have seen 1 World Record and 9 National Records falling. Most notable is the World Record in Variable Ballast from Natalia Molchanova (Russia) with a dive to 125m which breaks one of the longest standing World Records in AIDA (International Apnea Association) history from Tanya Streeter (USA) with 122m set in 2003. Other Records set in this amazing event are the 151m No-Limits Greek National Record Dive from the event organizer Stavros Kastrinakis which makes him the 6th human in history to surpass the mythical 150m depth barrier.

The 3rd Mediterranean Freediving World Cup is hosted by the Municipality of Kalamata in collaboration with Freediving Club Greece of Mr Stavros Kastrinakis and is under the auspices of AIDA Hellas and AIDA International. The event’s schedule includes 3 more competition days spreading out to Sunday 20th June so a lot more can be expected from these amazing athletes.

Complete list of Records:
Record Discipline Athlete Performance
World Record Variable Ballast Natalia Molchanova (RUS) 125m
Continental Record Free Immersion William Winram (CAN) 97m
National Record No-Limits Stavros Kastrinakis (GRE) 151m
National Record No-Limits Ben Noble (AUS) 105m
National Record Variable Ballast Ben Noble (AUS) 100m
National Record Variable Ballast Anna Von Boetticher (GER) 100m
National Record Free Immersion Jure Daic (SLO) 86m
National Record Free Immersion Jakob Hansen (DEN) 75m
National Record Free Immersion Mark Harris (GBR) 70m
National Record Free Immersion Adel Abu Haliqa (UAE) 45m

For More Information contact us at: info@freediving-club.gr

Also find attached the results up to now.

And to top it all please check our new video showing footage from our time in Kalamata up till today

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgU-0PpSiLc]YouTube - 3rd Mediterranean freediving World cup news[/ame]

Have to go to bed now as we are waking up in 5,5 hours to go and set up for comp day 3

Cheers Stavros

Attachments

• MWC Result DAY 2 Female.jpg
    MWC Result DAY 2 Female.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 252
  • MWC Result DAY 2 Male.jpg
    MWC Result DAY 2 Male.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 269
Reactions: fcallagy
Great video Stravos well done, looks like a really great comp, well organised in a beautiful location. Hopefully next year.

Nice work!

Congratulations, it almost looks like a World championship with the public presentation!

I wonder if Natalia Molchanova will attempt on improving her CWT and FIM records?

And Ben is going bezerk with those increddible deep VWT and NL dives! wow!

And William Winram is inching away to that 100m in FIM, good for him!

Anna's -100 VWT is also great, I wonder if she can catch up later with Molchanova?

Julie's CWT to 73 is also a great number, wow, very impressive even though it looks like she aborted the dive. It must be close to the top 10 deepest dives for women!

Great, great!

Thanks for sharing! Kars

A massive well done to all the divers out there! It makes sitting in a classroom writing reports and the prospect of a parents evening all the more bearable to watch you all skipping around in the sun, not working and diving deep.
Benny B, you are a star 105m is just amazing - a really significant depth to reach and power yourself all the way back to the surface.

Stavros, the 151m is also a helluva dive. How is the narcosis there and how on earth do you get air into the ears to get you there?

Mark's 70m is well deserved and I would like to see that bettered by the man himself so get further Mark!

But I have to reserve my biggest applause for Tranny - you did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great dive! Are you going further now?

Back to writing reports now:(

well done to everyone out there especially mark dave and benny.
wish i had gone out there ive heard nothing but great things about the competition .
i should of taken sam stills advice!
good look with the reports dave see you down in the green soon!!

Thanks Dave / Jay. It's been great to be around and see Tranny get the CNF record after all the hard work he has put in getting there. And as it is officially up on the board, yes, he is going to try and push it deeper tomorrow. Good Luck DT!

Reactions: jay cluskey
Hi All,

here are a couple of pics of what's been going on :)

Stavros

Attachments

• IMG_4030 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_4030 - Copy.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_4316 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_4316 - Copy.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_9832 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9832 - Copy.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_9829 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_9829 - Copy.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_4904 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_4904 - Copy.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 198
looks like australia's ben noble (bennyb) has done a successful 60m constant weight dive. Im pretty sure this would make ben australias 3rd deepest constant weight comp diver. Congrats benny top stuff mate.

I discovered some results on freedive central....but they are incorrect, so not much use. ( I am showing 140 points, not 193, and Jure should be on 197 ). Patience, patience...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT