• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

57" Mid Handled Woodie!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hera a side shot of the gun(the one on the left)

Attachments

• dolphin.jpg
    dolphin.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 353
Miles - it is the gun with the purpleheart strip. Bought it from him on Ebay. :D

Uluapoundr - that Yokooji is so pretty, I don't want to use it :( Actually if the enclosed track was made for 9/32" instead of 5/16" I would probably use it more,... but for now it's decoration ;) Find me a job in Hilo!

Rig - after using 2 titanium hybrids for a while, I think I may try going back to carbon fiber - just not loading the bands up so much rofl Those blue bands I had were too much for me :(

Deepdown - Unfortunately I've never tried a semi-enclosed hybrid. Something I really must fix :hmm

fuzz, the cf hybrid is my favorite gun. The one on the way is a ti model just for the sake of economy. The money I saved on it paid for the omer reel I had Daryl install. You might have the ultimate gun collection but the wong stable at my house is becoming quite impressive in its own right...this will make number 5:inlove

Originally posted by fuzz
Those blue bands I had were too much for me

:girlie

After the first couple of hybrids, I'm going to going longer on this next one and make it the full 55". Trouble is that with the titanium tube and the Alexander guts, even with foaming the barrel, I have to have a pretty long wooden section :hmm and by that time I might as well just go all wood. On the Wong semi enclosed, and yeah I should just go call Daryl, but it seems that not having the enclosed section running further forward would allow the shaft to start whipping which is what the enclosed barrel is all about. I see that there's a capture guid of sorts at the termination of the wood...

Mike- Aquiles took my 42"er for a romp and popped a yellow with it and he came up shittin' about how quick the hybrids are. Point and shoot. I still like the look of Andy's Yakooji.

from my understanding, shaft whip should be eliminated by the time the sfat exits the wooden portion. Apparently the initial band pull is gone by then and the shaft is already on its way??? Im not good with the technical jargon but in my simple mind it works...the proof is in the pudding and Daryl has made a couple of 63" enclosed track hybrids that are taking some monster tuna and wahoo....

hi miles just spotted your mid handle timber spearguns they look great.i am interested in building a gun very similar to hunt large fish.any info on timber choice,mechs,handles and rigging would be a great help.i am using 2 edge railguns a 1.1 and 1.3 both shoot 7mm spears and single 20mm bands.i just got a small boat and will be able two dive some good reefs and i would like to
build a powerful timber gun, if you could help it would be much appreciated.

Hiya

I'm not that clued up when it comes to building guns. Some info that i can pass on:
Most of my wooden guns are made from burmese teak. There are various other woods that are suitable, but most gun makers use teak.
Trigger mech's - its best to rather BUY a reputable trigger mech. Many manufacturers sell their trigger mech's, with manufacturers such as Riffe, Aimrite, Alexander, etc springing to mind.

Drop forum member, "Dan Man" a pm. He's very clued up when it comes to building guns and has researched all the information you require, extensively. He's built quite a few very nice looking guns!!:D:D

Regards
miles

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT