• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

5L Bullet Float

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Rock Shooter

Sep 1, 2016
Hi all!
I currently have a 5L hard bullet float
image.jpg

I was wondering how big of a fish would be required to drag this under and lose my gun?
How about with me holding it (kicking like all hell)?

Thank you,
Rock Shooter

It you weren't hanging on to it I imagine a 10 kg fish could pull it under briefly, but the float would still surface when the fish tired. As for loosing your gun, there are lots of variables such as water depth & length of rig rope. I work on the premise that game fish weigh about 1/3 their landed wieght when dead & still in the water. So in theory a float with 5l of uplift should be the minimum for 15kg fish. For fish under 30 kg it generally isnt an issue, as we can usually still control them using our own strength & drag, once you start getting into larger fish then the floats & their displacement become more important. I use the 1:3 float to fish as my minimum, eg 60kg fish:20kg displacement, & go up from there.

Reactions: Rock Shooter
It you weren't hanging on to it I imagine a 10 kg fish could pull it under briefly, but the float would still surface when the fish tired. As for loosing your gun, there are lots of variables such as water depth & length of rig rope. I work on the premise that game fish weigh about 1/3 their landed wieght when dead & still in the water. So in theory a float with 5l of uplift should be the minimum for 15kg fish. For fish under 30 kg it generally isnt an issue, as we can usually still control them using our own strength & drag, once you start getting into larger fish then the floats & their displacement become more important. I use the 1:3 float to fish as my minimum, eg 60kg fish:20kg displacement, & go up from there.
Thank you,

How long would you say your 'average' 10kg fish would take to tire (using 5l float and 'ski rope' floatline) if I did not hang on?

That will depend where you hit it, also the fight & strength in the different species of fish. Our kingfish seem to pull twice as hard as small marlin of comparable size & dogtooth tuna pull twice as hard as an equilivent size kingfish. Some species fight clean & some head straight into the reef. Generally, you should be able to have a 10kg fish in your hands in a few minutes at the most. The longest I have played a fish was a large tuna & that may have been 45 mins, spear shooting down through centre of back. The faster you can get them in your arms the better your chances of landing them, this should be a consideration when selecting gear, dont just go for the minimum you think is necessary. As you are from Australia also, I will just stress the importance of never second shooting one of your mates fish, even if he is having difficulty with it. It is considered an insult, & the fish can never be considered as a capture or trophy if he does land it. The only form of assistance which is allowed or acceptable, is to hand your mate an unloaded gun without a rig line or float attached so they can second spear it themselves. This has been part of our rules & culture for over 60 years, & too often we see young blokes trying to claim catches for assisted fish. These fish would not even be photographed or discussed in my day.

That will depend where you hit it, also the fight & strength in the different species of fish. Our kingfish seem to pull twice as hard as small marlin of comparable size & dogtooth tuna pull twice as hard as an equilivent size kingfish. Some species fight clean & some head straight into the reef. Generally, you should be able to have a 10kg fish in your hands in a few minutes at the most. The longest I have played a fish was a large tuna & that may have been 45 mins, spear shooting down through centre of back. The faster you can get them in your arms the better your chances of landing them, this should be a consideration when selecting gear, dont just go for the minimum you think is necessary. As you are from Australia also, I will just stress the importance of never second shooting one of your mates fish, even if he is having difficulty with it. It is considered an insult, & the fish can never be considered as a capture or trophy if he does land it. The only form of assistance which is allowed or acceptable, is to hand your mate an unloaded gun without a rig line or float attached so they can second spear it themselves. This has been part of our rules & culture for over 60 years, & too often we see young blokes trying to claim catches for assisted fish. These fish would not even be photographed or discussed in my day.
Thanks for the heads up!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT