• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

620 lb tuna in Hawaii Skin Diver

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I read it. Thought it was a great article. Is it about you guys? I recognized a picture with the tuna next to the rib in the harbor from this website haha. Its too bad that two monsters were lost before one was finally landed. I think that HSD is a real quality magazine and its based right here on Oahu.

Hello

Is there a link to the article or do you need to have the actual magazine? Would like to read the story of the catch.

:cool: Congratulations on the landing of that monster tuna!

I'm a subscriber to that fine magazine, have read the article and I must conclude that because I assume you to be a naturally eloquent speaker of you native tongue, that the translation of the article from Spanish into English was poor. There were at least a few passages that had odd or incongruent words to describe something and that kept me from being perfectly clear as to what actually happened. For example, you seemed to hit the first fish and perhaps the second one with pretty good shots. I don't know if you stoned them or not; it seemed as if you did, or at least greatly disabled them. So did the monofilament line fail just from the weight of fish and not from any fight? I understand it was a heavy monster of a fish but does'nt the water provide some buoyancy so that it's not like 600 lbs bearing on the line? I read the article only once through, but it seems you guys were way off on your rigging/float calculations. Monofilament line to go after monster tuna?

I understand you didn't have the money too go buy a $1000.00 Riffe Blue Water cannon. I accept that. You worked with the guns you had and made them work, you guys are obviously accomplished freedivers, you made the dives and made good shots, it seems. But based on my read of the article it seems you could have researched the successful rigging practices of the many blue-water hunters that have gone before you in places like Australia, California, South Africa, etc., beforehand. Rigging, floats and floatlines are not that expensive. If you had, it seems you could have landed the first one.

I hope this post doesn't come accross as too critical, if it does I apologize. I'm no better than you. We have all shot and lost fish. I'll go and read the article again, but when I first read about the apparent rigging failures, I said to myself: "What were they thinking?" Again, maybe it was the translation.

Last edited:
As i read somewhere that was their fisrt attempt of spearing that kind of fish, so i don't blame any rigging failure but they seems they got the point now so the claim that they will increase the catch ratio by fixing weak points of the rig...:)

By the way today i saw in local newspaper that 300kg bluefin cought at 12km offshore of cyprus.... Thats very interesting... Its torture to know that there are that king of fishes in the open and you don't have access:waterwork :waterwork :waterwork

Rigging

Hi,

The rigging was inadecuate. Sure. But in our minds were just the problem of do not loose contact with it (using very long ropes) and waiting enough time to the fish to die and recover it from the bottom. Just as absurd as it sounds it was.

It was our first time.

A joke i think out now : No matter how much you investigate your first time with "somebody". You will do errors. You understand?

;-)

Our second time we will do different errors !!

I will use different rigging. I am evaluating jack prodanovich way or others (because of the 68 kg limit in bouyancy for isbrc records).

I will tell you in late october !!

Thank you

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT